ScummVM 1.2.0 "FaSCInating release" is here!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

ScummVM 1.2.0 "FaSCInating release" is here!

Post by sev »

CABAL (Coalesced 'Adventures beyond Architecture' League) finally came alive, and now for real. Yes, truly, it took us just 6.5 years, and today we are eagerly announcing that a universal adventure game interpreter, playing SCUMM, AGI, and SCI games has been released.

From now on, it is available on ScummVM's downloads page (Look for version 1.2.0). You may jump straight there, or stay a bit longer and see what cool new features are included.

As you have probably already realized, this release has support for SCI, and moreover, the list of compatible games goes beyond the original FreeSCI which was merged about 1.5 years ago. We support Conquests of Camelot/the Longbow, Castle/Island of Dr. Brain, Codename: ICEMAN, EcoQuest 1&2, all four Hoyle games, Freddy Pharkas, Jones in the Fast Lane, King's Quest I-VI, both Laura Bow games, Larry up to 6 (low-res 6 only), Police Quest 1-3, Quest for Glory I-III, Space Quest up to V and a few others. Incredible work by the FreeSCI team and our own SCI engine team!

Early SCI 16-color games can be optionally undithered by ScummVM, making them look much better. To see a comparison between undithered graphics and the original, watch this video produced by one of our SCI engine developers and see for yourself.

Besides SCI, we have added support for yet another Coktel Vision game called Fascination and we have a number of new ports: Android, Dingux, Caanoo and OpenPandora. Unfortunately we had to declare the PalmOS port officially dead.

As usual there are tons of engine-specific bug fixes. Take a look at the release notes if you want to know more. But wait! We would like to tell a little bit about
another long-awaited feature new in this release. After all these years we are finally going international, and the ScummVM GUI can be translated into any language (well, almost any). Right now we have Catalan, English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish and Ukrainian localizations. Besides this there are a lot of smaller improvements like tooltips, radio buttons, improved usability and we support more games running from original media without the need to shuffle the game files.

Enough talking! Now it is time to download ScummVM and start playing!
Last edited by sev on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spleebie

Post by spleebie »

Of the 4 newly added ports, I only see downloads for OpenPandora and Dingux. Is the Android port not ready for download yet?
Truus999

Congratulations and thanks

Post by Truus999 »

Both of those to the team for another new releaae.
My hat is off to you!

Cheers,
René
apaapa

Re: ScummVM 1.2.0 "FaSCInating release" is here!

Post by apaapa »

sev wrote:we have a number of new ports: Android

Enough talking! Now it is time to download ScummVM and start playing!
I wish I could, but where is the Android port?
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Thank you very much for this milestone release!
Kudos to all team members!
SiENcE

Post by SiENcE »

Where is the Caanoo release?

I can only find Wiz and GP2x.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Congratulations, awesome ScummVM developers!

Major kudos all around, particularly to the SCI team, for enduring the long and rigorous testing cycle.

One thing you might want to note though is that Nippon Safes Inc is still apparently impossible to completely finish (Doug's part at least).
slx

Laura Bow CD version and Zak McKracken V2 spanish version

Post by slx »

Hello there,
I've tried Laura Bow CD version and I've set the audio to both speech and text mode in the scummvm menu (in the 'edit game' menu) but it doesn't work correctly. There is only speech or only text.
In the game there isn't this speech and text in same time option, either.
The 'F5' menu isn't the usual.

The scummvm detects the Zak McKracken V2 spanish version to english.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Re: Laura Bow CD version and Zak McKracken V2 spanish versio

Post by m_kiewitz »

slx wrote:Hello there,
I've tried Laura Bow CD version and I've set the audio to both speech and text mode in the scummvm menu (in the 'edit game' menu) but it doesn't work correctly. There is only speech or only text.
In the game there isn't this speech and text in same time option, either.
That's right. The game actually does not support text and speech at the same time. Maybe we will patch such games somehow later, so that they will support it.
DJWillis
ScummVM Porter

Post by DJWillis »

SiENcE wrote:Where is the Caanoo release?

Sorry, it should be up in a few days, had a few personal things that cropped up to eat my time over the last week and I had only got the OpenPandora, GP2X and Wiz ports done and ready in time for the release. Sorry again, I'll get it sorted as soon as I can.

John
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

I've just recently purchased a copy of fascination for dos 9floppy) via eBay. I copied the files from each disk to a central directory, then launched dosbox and ran the install to unpack the files. When I point scummvm at the directory it states that there is no game found, and the console says "illegal version detected".

Did I just buy copied disks? They look original, but who knows.... I paid way too much to find out I was duped.
SiENcE

Post by SiENcE »

DJWillis wrote:
SiENcE wrote:Where is the Caanoo release?

Sorry, it should be up in a few days, had a few personal things that cropped up to eat my time over the last week and I had only got the OpenPandora, GP2X and Wiz ports done and ready in time for the release. Sorry again, I'll get it sorted as soon as I can.

John
No problem :-).

I was just reading the news, thats why i asked.

I know real life consumes more and more time.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Hi scoriae,

I'm very, very surprised... Could you tell me if the game was provided with a protection sheet? Was it a low-price edition, or a standard one? Any information is welcome...

Regards,
Strangerke
BeleG

Post by BeleG »

m_kiewitz wrote:That's right. The game actually does not support text and speech at the same time. Maybe we will patch such games somehow later, so that they will support it.
I'd love you guys eternally... well, I think I already would anyway :P

Laura Bow 2, Freddy Pharkas, some Space Quest I can't remember now... There are many Sierra games where you can choose speech or text, but not both. That would be a fantastic improvement indeed.
MusicallyInspired

Re: ScummVM 1.2.0 "FaSCInating release" is here!

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Nice!
sev wrote:Early SCI 16-color games can be optionally undithered by ScummVM, making them look much better.
Well, that's subjective. I wish you guys would have disabled it by default or at least made the undither option a little more accessible than going into the console all the time. For those of us that want the original dithered graphics in all their glory it's a bit of a nuisance to have to keep disabling the function through the console every time you start an SCI0 game. I keep having to compile my own builds with it disabled by default. Not a huge issue, but it is a bit of an annoyance.