ScummVM; Windows 7; Real MT-32 - Help?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ltempt

ScummVM; Windows 7; Real MT-32 - Help?

Post by ltempt »

Hi everyone!

I've tried Googling, tried asking in IRC and fiddled. I'm at a loss yet I'm sure there must be a really simple solution.

I'm trying to use a Roland MT-32 with ScummVM on my laptop running Windows 7 Pro. The MIDI interface is a Saffire MT 24 DSP.

I've succesfully used one of the "midi picker" tools to assign the default MIDI device to the Saffire and have tested playing a .MID with Windows Media Player.

dosbox can succesfully drive the MT-32 after setting the midi device in the dosbox configuration file.

So the first troubleshooting point of "making sure the hardware works" has passed. Sounds as good as I remember, too.

Now, despite having set the default MIDI device with the picker and witnessed this being honoured by Windows Media Player (which I figured would be the "dirtiest" application for such things), ScummVM is still sending MIDI data to the Microsoft Soft Synth instead of the hardware MIDI interface.

My settings are pastebinned here:

http://mexico.purplecow.org/p/index.php?v5

http://mexico.purplecow.org/p/index.php?74

http://mexico.purplecow.org/p/index.php?jm
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Can't help you unfortunately. I just have some suggestions.

Mention whether your Windows is 32bit/64 bit and whether the ScummVM version you are trying to use is 32/64bit.

Also give examples of games that fail to use MT-32. I believe sound engines can not only be broken globally but also on a per-game basis.

Also see if any bad things are happening in the console of ScummVM. How to do this is explained here:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=8440
ltempt

Post by ltempt »

Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit
ScummVM 1.1.1 - 64 bit (scummvm-1.1.1-win64)

Tested: Sam & Max, DOTT.

Nothing bad on the console.

I don't think the sound engine is broken, it's just not grabbing the right MIDI device as a target.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I can only guess here as i don't use Windows

There is no mt32 device set in your .ini file
Normally you should have a line like

mt32_device=camd

in it (CAMD is the driver i'm using on my system)
Should be something like "Windows MIDI" or such.

No idea, really

You could try with 1.2.0 (which gets hopefully released in a few days), it has a lot more MIDI options and see if that helps
ltempt

Post by ltempt »

Raziel wrote: You could try with 1.2.0 (which gets hopefully released in a few days), it has a lot more MIDI options and see if that helps
I'll hold out until the 1.2.0 release, I think. It's not urgent as my MT-32 just celebrated by shitting it's power supply.

Heh.

Thanks for your reply.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Another one bites the dust. I see mt32s on Ebay sometimes that are going cheap as they don't work for some reason or other. Makes you wonder if there is anybody offering a service to repair them.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

The power supply can easily be replaced.

I got my MT-32 from an eBayer aswell without one.
Had to buy one from an electronic store and working with it since
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

I'm using Win 7 32 BIT on a PC desktop. I bought a Yamaha Midi USB Interface cable. One end plugs into the back of my MT-32 and the other end plugs into a free USB port. I then downloaded and installed drivers for the Yamaha cable that's compatible with Win 7.

Now when I go into ScummVM and choose my Audio device, it has the Yamaha cable listed. So I just selected that and it plays the music through my MT-32.