A new engine. One for the Christopher Lloyd fans.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Hi pacifist,

Was you version detected correctly by ScummVM? Or did the console show the MD5 to be added?

Regards,
Strangerke
pacifist

Post by pacifist »

Hi there. Yeah, the game was detected correctly and runs fine, I think it's just a spelling mistake in TOON.DAT.

Running ScummVM 1.3.0svn53101 (Oct 9 2010 23:15:40)

Have added an item to the bug tracker regarding this..
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Indeed, and I fixed it. Sorry for the inconvenience.
whatever

Post by whatever »

I tried the german version and it seems to work quite well.
Problems I found:
  • Flux turned invisible once (I guess this is one of these "minor graphic glitches").
  • Some Charset Problems: German quotes show as ?...„ instead of „...“ and "Ä" is displayed as "?".
  • Very high CPU usage.
edit: scummvm 1.3.0svn53127 on ubuntu 10.04
A600

Post by A600 »

whatever wrote:[*]Very high CPU usage.
I can confirm this one.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Flux turned invisible once
Do you remember how you managed to make him disappear? In which screen for example, and if you know how to reproduce it.
Some Charset Problems
A special mapping has been added for those special characters... Clearly it's incomplete. We'll take a look.
Very high CPU usage.
Well, as you know the engine was only added a couple of days ago. SylvainTV is implementing some missing behaviors and fixing bugfixes, I'm sure he'll take a look at the performances after
whatever

Post by whatever »

Strangerke wrote:Do you remember how you managed to make him disappear? In which screen for example, and if you know how to reproduce it.
I visited the barn for the first time and talked to the cow. During the conversation flux suddenly disappeared (shadow still visible) and reappeared afterwards. Don't know if this is reproducible.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

whatever wrote: I visited the barn for the first time and talked to the cow. During the conversation flux suddenly disappeared (shadow still visible) and reappeared afterwards. Don't know if this is reproducible.
Happens in my English version too. From what little I understand, it's trying to play an animation where there's no useful data for the frames. Just as an experiment, I tried using the corresponding animation for Flux when he was facing in a different direction, and that worked.

(I've already bugged SylvainTV about it, but I don't know if he's had the time to take a closer look.)
Sylvain
ScummVM Team Member

Post by Sylvain »

whatever wrote:I visited the barn for the first time and talked to the cow. During the conversation flux suddenly disappeared (shadow still visible) and reappeared afterwards. Don't know if this is reproducible.
Yes it's reproductible each time. It must be a special type of talk animation, the first frame is empty (oops eriktorbjorn was faster :))
Very high CPU usage
The engine updates and renders as fast as it can and no delay is added (it can go up to 100 fps and more which is useless). We can probably set up a delay if we reach the target fps (for example 15 or 30).
Another way of optimize would be to use dirty areas and update only the modified part of the screen.
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Hi there,

first of all, amazing good work - ahhh, the memories... :)

Got a small problem here, playing the game. The game itself runs almost flawless, but several of the SMK files (i.e. the VIELOGOM.SMK in my german version, or the intro of my english version produce the following error:

Assertion failed

Program: scummvm.exe
File: ..\..\graphics\video\smk_decoder.cpp
Line: 115 (sometimes 104)

Expression _buf < _end

The sound is also somewhat distorted... :?

When I keep ignoring this message... the game continues after the video.

Vorph

EDIT: summvm 1.3.0svn53161 on Win7 64bit
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vorph wrote: Got a small problem here, playing the game. The game itself runs almost flawless, but several of the SMK files (i.e. the VIELOGOM.SMK in my german version, or the intro of my english version produce the following error:
I don't have the German version myself, but the English intro plays fine for me. I wonder if what you're seeing is a 64-bit issue, or if the videos were re-encoded using some Smacker feature we don't support yet. I have no idea, I'm afraid.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Vorph wrote: Got a small problem here, playing the game. The game itself runs almost flawless, but several of the SMK files (i.e. the VIELOGOM.SMK in my german version, or the intro of my english version produce the following error:
I don't have the German version myself, but the English intro plays fine for me. I wonder if what you're seeing is a 64-bit issue, or if the videos were re-encoded using some Smacker feature we don't support yet. I have no idea, I'm afraid.
I don't think it's a 64-bit issue. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit as well and all the .smk files seem to play fine for me.
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Hi there,

the behaviour is somewhat strange... all in all I think it is (possibly) a sound issue. When I play the SMK File using the latest (1.9w I think) RAD Video Tools, the Videos play all right.

When I try to reencode them (using the "Smack it" Button) a new Video File is created - as far as I can see, without sound.

This Video plays flawlessly in ScummVM. When I try to "Mix in" the sound again, using the parameters given via "File Info" (22050 Hz, 16 Bit, Mono), the video is giving me the same error messages in scummvm.exe like the original file from the CD :shock:

Would it be of any help to post the file (about 3 MB) ???

MD5 someone ???

Kind regards...

Vorph
whatever

Post by whatever »

Vorph wrote:but several of the SMK files (i.e. the VIELOGOM.SMK in my german version [...] produce the following error
VIELOGOM.SMK from german version plays fine here on 64bit ubuntu.

md5sum: 47966c48f221a7d3b0c5899fbd507437 VIELOGOM.SMK
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Thanks,

I will check my file, and will also give it a try on a different machine (strange things can happen)...

Vorph