Apple revising app store policies

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longcat

Apple revising app store policies

Post by Longcat »

I just wondered if this makes any difference at all to the issue of submiting an ipod port to the app store?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/09/appl ... s-will-al/
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

It sounds to me as though the change is to allow programs like ScummVM. I hope this is the case!
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

No, it makes no change. It still does not allow executing / interpreting code (such as game scripts) that are not bundled with ScummVM.
Roughly spoken it reverts things to how they were before Apple made the App Store limitations even more draconian.
rafi

Post by rafi »

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but doesn't the File Sharing feature in iTunes, as implemented by apps like the newly released VLC player, combined with the new App store policies, allow a port of ScummVM to be released within policy on the iTunes store? My understanding is that ScummVM games would fall under the same file type category as VLC files. VLC interprets those files for playing and interactivity just as ScummVM interprets its files for playing and interactivity. What am I missing?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

the game scipts in most adventures require to execute their own code, which is not currently allowed by apple.
sbreit

Post by sbreit »

What about manomios C64 emulator?

Is the only difference the missing ability to upload own games?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Yes, the primary problem / difference is the requirment by Apple to not support external *script* files (and before somebody says it again: Yes, external text, audio, graphics etc. are all fine by apple, but *not* executable code of any nature. This is why your favorite PDF viewer app is allowed).

This C64 emulator has a fixed set of built-in programs. At one point, they made a version which had a "secret switch" that allowed you to extend the emulator. Apple promptly banned it.
Kyahx

Post by Kyahx »

Apple has since allowed the version WITH the Basic interpreter back into the store, not hidden at all.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/18/as-a ... gets-basi/
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Was there ever any official word on that or did they just silently allow it?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Also, does that emulator allow you to insert your own BASIC code, or C64 executables, from an outside source? Or is it a closed system?
Kyahx

Post by Kyahx »

The emulator does allow you to type in your own code and run it, but does not use iTunes file sharing to load any "pre-written" code. Instead they use in-app purchasing to "sell" (some are free) additional C64 games.

So yes, you can enter in and run your own code, but it has to be done in the app (painfully).
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Aha, so that explains why it is compatible with Apple's app store terms (at least when generously interpreting those to allow typed in "code", which seems like kind of a gray area to me in their terms). ScummVM still isn't...
3.3.2 An Application may not download or install executable code. Interpreted code may only be used in an Application if all scripts, code and interpreters are packaged in the Application and not downloaded. The only exception to the foregoing is scripts and code downloaded and run by Apple’s built-in WebKit framework.
Kyahx

Post by Kyahx »

Could always use in-app "purchasing" to provide the freeware games, possibly get publishers to sell their old games via it as well (all they'd have to do is OK it, no work porting! Sounds like an easy sell to me)

I also personally think that, while it would take time, a apple-native GUI for ScummVM and the ability to load games via iTunes would benefit the app in general -- regardless of Apple allowing it into the store or not. It would make for a much cleaner feeling version of the app, plus increase the (if somewhat remote) chance that Apple may decide to bend the rules and approve it anyways.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Yeah, a fully integrated iPhone UI would have some advantages. Somebody would have to code it, and maintain it, though.

As for working with publishers to offer in-game purchases... I can only speak for me personally, but I'd hate that, it would put an end to ScummVm being a fun hobby :). That's just me, though.

Beyond that, there are other reasons not to support the app store. Like e.g. its incompatibility with the GPL, for starters; strictly speaking, no GPL app can be legally distributed via the app store.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yes, unfortunately for the time being Apple store is incompatible with ScummVM. Until they explicitly remove clause about downloadable code we can do nothing about it. There is always possibility to bundle individual games just as iPhSoft folks do, but that voids the very purpose of ScummVM to run multiple games.

And yes, GPL incompatibility is yet another beast to tame.

Eugene