Does broken sword 1 allow a full installation?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

bobdevis wrote:
Red_Breast wrote:I believe a number of people on VOGONS actually set up a dedicated PC for their old games [...]
Yeah. With a 3Dfx card for GLide support. Oh, the good old days..... :)
It must be about a year ago now, and I'm not sure if it was VOGONS or not, that I read that somebody was looking for a second Voodoo2 for a SLI configuration. Now that must be fun - considering you needed a 2D card as well.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Red_Breast wrote:It must be about a year ago now, and I'm not sure if it was VOGONS or not, that I read that somebody was looking for a second Voodoo2 for a SLI configuration. Now that must be fun - considering you needed a 2D card as well.
Well you can connect the Voodoo 2 to a modern card as well, thus every graphics card (except of course a 3d accelerator only card like a Voodoo 1 or another Voodoo 2 ;-P)... you just need free two PCI slots for the Voodoo 2 SLI configuration.

Anyway I am personally also considering getting a second Voodoo 2 12 MB for some SLI tests :-P.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I'd like to get nostalgic but fear going off-topic too far.:)
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Post by Serious Callers Only »

Red_Breast wrote: What you said here:-
"damn. i dislike being dependent on a program to run a game - be it dosbox or scummvm, but these old games with their aversion to full installs make me do it."
Any chance of explaining why? You never know - maybe we can reassure you.
I'm talking about the single failure mode of altering the shortcut of the bat file to depend on a dosbox embedded program. Nothing against scummvm itself, apart that if it not existed and i lost the cds i could only play on dosbox. As i'm now in the process of digitalizing my games on full no cd versions on the hardrive, the concern with other games is obvious.
aka.kevin

Re: Does broken sword 1 allow a full installation?

Post by aka.kevin »

Serious Callers Only wrote:Not in scummvm, but the original games. The sword.inf file seems like it should hold the paths to the needed files, but when i edit them to look relative it still ask for the cd. I know one of those files is duplicated but different (speech\speech.clu) but as the lines are duplicated too in the sword.inf i wonder if it shouldn't be possible to put them in different subdirs.

Any one had success on this?

We have almost the same problem did you fix it already on how to install the full version of broken sword.
Because I like a games related to any kind of sword especially fantasy sword.
:P
Last edited by aka.kevin on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Just a quick question:

I know ScummVM supports the original .smk videos now, but do the music files still need to be converted to .mp3?

Thanks.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Tim20 wrote:but do the music files still need to be converted to .mp3?
Was there ever a time when that was needed?
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

I dunno. It's been a while since I mucked around with the game files and did any converting. :roll:
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The Smacker videos contain the sound themselves, so no, you don't need to convert any video related files
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Re: Does broken sword 1 allow a full installation?

aka.kevin wrote:
We have almost the same problem did you fix it already on how to install the full version of broken sword.
Because I like a games related to any kind of sword especially fantasy sword.
:P
The original intention was having a full install that worked on both a pc, dosbox, windows or scummvm.

However due to the way the game copyprotection works, i've had to downgrade that to scummvm in linux (due to needing symlinks) or dosbox (without disassembly patches that would make the game unrunnable in scummvm anyway).

Originally i intended to use a cd image for dosbox to mount, but scummvm won't work with cd images. So it was either one or the other.
So i came up with the idea of the game folder mounted as a cd in dosbox, edited config file for the original interpreter to fetch the correct file without name clashing, and symlinks for scummvm to work.

But dosbox has a bug with the broken sword graphics because of some subtle timing bug that i doubt will be solved. So basically though it works, it is hardly ideal.

I'm being so anal mostly for a very silly reason: all my digitalized games are in DOS or WINDOWS folder, and if something is in the DOS folder, it had better work, at least with a dos emulator, and i wanted to not create a SCUMMVM folder for one or two games that require data files manipulation to work in scummvm.

Very silly.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

I can always do the thing i was trying to avoid:
duplicate the data files, as both cd images and files. This would have the advantage the game would run on other OS too (not being dependent on the dosbox imgtool feature of mounting dirs).

I even searched for a way in linux of having symlinks pointing to inside iso files :lol:

(the answer is obvious, mount before symlinking or using the symlink, hardly something i can automate when scummvm tries to use the file though).
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

I am one of the "people on VOGONS' with seperate older machines for testng, actually three of them including an old tower mac black and white :) but i love ScummVM for the total functionality and my main library of the classics lives in the ScummVM realm happily. espeicaly the Kyrandias which are a pain to run in DOS for many reasons with the best sound, and some others. God Bless the ScummVM team i say again and again as i remember the older days of scrabbling around with emulators up the kazoo in the dark days of transition from Windows98 SE with its integrated DOS to XP
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

CrisGer wrote:[...] espeicaly the Kyrandias which are a pain to run in DOS for many reasons with the best sound, and some others. ...
Actually I can't remember any problem with the sound setup of the Kyrandia games in DOS, even on my old DOS machine it works just fine.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

LordHoto wrote:
CrisGer wrote:[...] espeicaly the Kyrandias which are a pain to run in DOS for many reasons with the best sound, and some others. ...
Actually I can't remember any problem with the sound setup of the Kyrandia games in DOS, even on my old DOS machine it works just fine.
If you want music, voice and digital sound it is hard (but possible with the right sound cards).