About KQVI

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

NewRisingSun disassembled the game scripts for SQ4 himself and recompiled them with changes to make it work. It's no easy task. And certainly not something within the scope of the ScummVM team.
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

I will put in touch with the authors of the patch, maybe they do easily the work...

If I finish my patch I will communicate it to you.

Thanks for all 8)
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

MusicallyInspired wrote:NewRisingSun disassembled the game scripts for SQ4 himself and recompiled them with changes to make it work.
He actually patched the scripts. He didn't recompile them. We do the same for some script issues.
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

IIRC, with LSL6CD the msg resource files were the same as those from the floppy one, so "translating" the talkie version to Spanish was a matter of simply extracting the msg files then dropping them on the installation directory, then translate the few new msgs left.

Could this also be the case?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

If you read up, that's exactly what I suggested which was attempted with success.
m_kiewitz wrote:He actually patched the scripts. He didn't recompile them. We do the same for some script issues.
Ah, I see.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

There are a bunch of patches for SCI games but as i understand it the devs will workaround glitches and bugs themself, so in the final revision of SCI support those patches won't be necessary...
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Raziel wrote:There are a bunch of patches for SCI games but as i understand it the devs will workaround glitches and bugs themself, so in the final revision of SCI support those patches won't be necessary...
Well there may be *some* official patches, which will still be required like for example a version of Conquest of the Longbow, where a critical issue was fixed by Sierra. In that case we will display an information popup - of course playing w/o those patches will still be possible.

In all other cases, we will patch silently, so yes any inofficial timer patches won't be needed. In fact they shouldn't be applied at all, because sometimes they actually contain bugs or don't solve the issue properly.
Collector

Post by Collector »

m_kiewitz wrote:sometimes they actually contain bugs or don't solve the issue properly.
This is certainly true of some of the NRS patches. While the NRS patches have mostly been a God send for QfG4, they did add other bugs that didn't exist before.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Post by Serious Callers Only »

If i already applied the NRS patches will i be forced to reinstall?
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Serious Callers Only wrote:If i already applied the NRS patches will i be forced to reinstall?
Depends on the game. If you haven't overwritten any files, just delete the additional NRS files. Although this will break your sierra sci interpreter saves most of the time and this *may* break your ScummVM saved games.
Scarlatti

Post by Scarlatti »

Sorry for bumping this one, but I'm curious about the way ScummVM handles King's Quest 6 Windows version. It famously has a higher resolution by default, allowing more detailed portraits and inventory icons. What I'm interested in is exactly how the backgrounds scaling is performed... Does ScummVM first doubles them, then applies any filter selected, like HQx2 for example? Or they are separate resources from the DOS version?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Scarlatti wrote:Sorry for bumping this one, but I'm curious about the way ScummVM handles King's Quest 6 Windows version. It famously has a higher resolution by default, allowing more detailed portraits and inventory icons. What I'm interested in is exactly how the backgrounds scaling is performed... Does ScummVM first doubles them, then applies any filter selected, like HQx2 for example? Or they are separate resources from the DOS version?
The background is not doubled, it runs at a resolution of 640x440. SCI has its own scaler is used for this. The scaler you select would be used on top of that.
Scarlatti

Post by Scarlatti »

That was a bit confusing. "SCI" has an internal scaler? So, ScummvM is actually doubling it, since it is "SCI" in this case? Anyway, isn't possible to bypass this engine scaler and use ScummVM's scalers directly to do all the scaling?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Scarlatti wrote:That was a bit confusing. "SCI" has an internal scaler? So, ScummvM is actually doubling it, since it is "SCI" in this case? Anyway, isn't possible to bypass this engine scaler and use ScummVM's scalers directly to do all the scaling?
By SCI I meant the engine itself as opposed to the backend scaling it. But, no it would not be possible as none of the scalers do 320x200 to 640x440.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The Windows version of KQ6 is actually doubling all game graphics with a simple 2x scaler, and uses some actual hires graphics as well (e.g. the icon bar on top). The scaling for this game is done by the engine itself, raising the game resolution to 640x440, and then the ScummVM backend scalers can be used on the final output, like in other engines