GOG closes down... :(

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

They better not add DRM. I won't be buying anything from them if they go DRM. I'd rather stick with Steam. Though, they did say that people who have already bought games will still have access to them DRM free...
Dark86

Post by Dark86 »

[quote="MusicallyInspired"]They better not add DRM. I won't be buying anything from them if they go DRM. I'd rather stick with Steam. Though, they did say that people who have already bought games will still have access to them DRM free...[/quote]

that the same way for me any DRM stuff is just pro-greed.only thing i was told is they change from beta to final guessing the stunt.was all for that some are not very happy i can understand any game.brought before yes can still be access so once it back online.after you paid for a game just before it went down you get still download it which not bad :)
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

MusicallyInspired wrote:They better not add DRM. I won't be buying anything from them if they go DRM. I'd rather stick with Steam. Though, they did say that people who have already bought games will still have access to them DRM free...
I've bought almost all the games that I've already to be sure to have them working properly on new OS and free of protection issues. So I won't buy anymore if DRM is applied to the games.

PS. To ScummVM: I've always bought at GOG landing from ScummVM...did your purse felt the difference? :wink:
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

rivadolmo wrote:PS. To ScummVM: I've always bought at GOG landing from ScummVM...did your purse felt the difference? :wink:
Yes, we got some money from the affiliation program, though they stopped transfers since December.

Eugene
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

For those interested in a bit of early news, I Think this might have something to do with the shutdown: http://www.cdprojekt.com/news.asp?nID=55
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Online conference is here:
http://www.transmisjeonline.pl/gogconference

Haven't had time to check it out though since I don't have flash on my smartphone:P
rivadolmo

A new video at gog and it smells...

Post by rivadolmo »

...DRM...will be maintained FREE !

Hope it will not be only a marketing illusion !

:roll:

About the link in the above post:
"September 22 at 18:00 will be a conference on-line GOG.com. During the conference Iwiński Martin, co-founder and co-founder of CD Projekt's GOG.com site, and Guillaume Rambourg, Managing Director of GOG.com, submit an official position on the recent developments concerning the site Good Old Games. All journalists interested in attending the conference please send an empty e-mail address update_media@gog.co m. Anyone who sends an e-mail will receive further instructions regarding participation in the conference."

Another interesting link:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3050 ... GOGcom.php

In fact everything will be resumed to a marketing idea that could be a boomerang...I did not really appreciate...
Last edited by rivadolmo on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

That entire close down story sure got attention. That 19 second trailer on Youtube they released yesterday got more views then most of their videos in a year.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

The new site is not nearly enough different from the old one to warrant such a drastic marketing move as a complete closure.

So the picture for each game on the front page is slightly bigger and people can make "playlists". whoop-de-damn-doo.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I think it has more to do with what you can't see than what is right in front of you. According to gog they had to rewrite about 90% of their code base and move to new servers, plus upgrading the bandwidth for users. But I'm not them so I don't know. I can't imagine they would shut down if they did not have to, but I sincerely doubt the operation took four days.
raina

Post by raina »

It was a PR stunt in which they drastically overestimated how in on the humor the community was.
rivadolmo

No more link to GOG

Post by rivadolmo »

sev wrote:
rivadolmo wrote:PS. To ScummVM: I've always bought at GOG landing from ScummVM...did your purse felt the difference? :wink:
Yes, we got some money from the affiliation program, though they stopped transfers since December.

Eugene
I'm really upset about the fact they stopped sending money for the affiliation program.
Now there's no more link to GOG...the affiliation program is over?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: No more link to GOG

Post by sev »

rivadolmo wrote: I'm really upset about the fact they stopped sending money for the affiliation program.
I don't really know. I sent them an inquiry, no reply so far.

Eugene
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

sev wrote:
rivadolmo wrote: I'm really upset about the fact they stopped sending money for the affiliation program.
I don't really know. I sent them an inquiry, no reply so far.

Eugene
I'll wait to buy other games 'till you clear the matter !
Mim

Post by Mim »

rivadolmo wrote:I'll wait to buy other games 'till you clear the matter!
Yes, me too. There is still GOG banner on ScummVM homepage and I believe it would be better to remove it until it is solved. I remember reading some interviews with GOG founders and they were bragging about how hard they are working to make old games compatible with modern computers yet they did not mention DOSBox or ScummVM. They would hardly sell anything without DOSBox and ScummVM.