GOG closes down... :(

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nabla

GOG closes down... :(

Post by nabla »

:cry:
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

Wow that's quite sad indeed...

I guess their platform was catering for a tiny audience, not enough to keep it going.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

That really sucks. It seemed like they were doing so well... It would have been nice of them to have alerted the community to their state of affairs before they shut down.
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

This just shows you how weird this industry is. On the one had they complain about piracy and missing out on "2nd hand sales".

On the other hand the industry doesn't seem to care about platforms that allow us to legally obtain vintage games.

At least GOG didn't use DRM, so all my games are still mine.

This is what happens when suits take over a creative industry...
Dark86

Post by Dark86 »

[quote="Mau1wurf1977"]This just shows you how weird this industry is. On the one had they complain about piracy and missing out on "2nd hand sales".

On the other hand the industry doesn't seem to care about platforms that allow us to legally obtain vintage games.

At least GOG didn't use DRM, so all my games are still mine.

This is what happens when suits take over a creative industry...[/quote]

indeed if they can't make a buck form it they call it piracy as GOG was doing was Perfect fine.they offer classic games at a fair price.that corporation don't like they preferred to have anything DRM on disc so you can't copy it?
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Wow - that came out of the blue! Their operation was pretty good but perhaps too niche :( Targetting us old farts does cut the market size down somewhat!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:I guess their platform was catering for a tiny audience, not enough to keep it going.
I wouldn't agree. Judging by affiliation program with us only, it was clear that their sales were pretty steady.

Eugene
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Looks like it could be just a marketing stunt.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=240
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

It wouldn't have made any sense. A webshop like that can be profitable with a low turnover.
Scaling back marketing and updates would have made sense with low sales. Shutting it down would not.
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

Man if this is a marketing Gag, that marketing guy should get fired...
wfeltmate

Post by wfeltmate »

To me it reads as though this is simply a way to allow them to migrate to a new platform. If you read the GOG.com page, nowhere does it say that they are shutting down for good, simply closing down the current form.

Plus, if they were closing for good, the last sentence, about providing a way for people to download the games they have already purchased wouldn't make sense.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Yeah if you read it assuming that it's a marketing ploy, it does make sense. "Whether we could keep gog.com the way it is" (hint hint). "Cannot remain in its current form"

If it is a trick, I'm not sure if it's remarkably brilliant or just stupid. Initially I thought it was stupid, but then again, which will get more hits on Slashdot, "GOG is out of beta" or "GOG closes down" followed by "GOG miraculously comes back"?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

I wouldn't know about the slashdot hits, but as one of their customers, I certainly am very displeased.

Displeased because they shut down the site without any warning, in the middle of a weekend sale no less. And because it's possibly just a marketing stunt. That is I'm very displeased either way. Abruptly Dead or just playing tricks with me/us.

Though, if gog comes back, at least I'd download all of my games that I don't have locally and then ... well let's just not be very hasty.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Praetorian wrote:Though, if gog comes back, at least I'd download all of my games that I don't have locally and then ... well let's just not be very hasty.
So will everyone else, including myself. I hope their servers will have some grunty bandwidth, because they're really going to be hammered. :)

On a side note, the GOG website and Twitter has had a minor update. Of particular importance is that they'll be releasing an official statement on Wednesday, and have explicitly said that downloads will be available again from Thursday; both the games themselves and all extra bonus material.

Hopefully this means they'll be back to business as usual. I'd hate to see the site disappear.
rivadolmo

Too bad...

Post by rivadolmo »

...They were looking a few months ago for a new marketing manager. It looks like they found him !!

I still have so many games and extras to download......

Hope the new GOG will not change their way of thinking about selling old games.

:?