Hugo's House of Horrors

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ERKAN

Hugo's House of Horrors

Post by ERKAN »

Hi, I've stumbled across this quest in my harddisk and wanted to ask if you guys could add it to the ScummVM games compatibility list?
Here's some info:
Hugo's House of Horrors is a computer game released in 1990. Gray Design Associates (GDA) created a parser-based adventure game, reminiscent of the Sierra Entertainment "Quest" games (such as King's Quest and Space Quest). The game also features tongue-in-cheek comedy.
In the game, the player controls the protagonist, Hugo, who has come to a haunted house to look for his girlfriend Penelope, who hasn't been seen since she went to babysit there. The premise bears similarity to LucasFilm Games' Maniac Mansion, released in 1987, where the main character enters a mansion in order to rescue his girlfriend from a mad scientist.
The player moves Hugo around by using the arrow keys on the keyboard, and controls his actions by entering commands on the keyboard (or, in the later-released Windows version, one can use the mouse).
DOS Version Screen:
Is it possible to add it to ScummVM?
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

If you search in the forums, you'll find at least another thread with this one.

In short (read the other thread for details):
- All the logic are in the EXE, not in scripts, so it's a lot more long to REverse
- The author has the sources, but do not see the interest to provide them to ScummVM team so that it can be implemented more easily. He still sell the Hugo trilogy, compiled for Windows.

So it's unlikely that it'll be implemented in ScummVM, except if the author change his mind concerning the sources.
ERKAN

Post by ERKAN »

Strangerke wrote:If you search in the forums, you'll find at least another thread with this one.

In short (read the other thread for details):
- All the logic are in the EXE, not in scripts, so it's a lot more long to REverse
- The author has the sources, but do not see the interest to provide them to ScummVM team so that it can be implemented more easily. He still sell the Hugo trilogy, compiled for Windows.

So it's unlikely that it'll be implemented in ScummVM, except if the author change his mind concerning the sources.
I know they sell the Win3.1 version, but what about the DOS Edition?
Maybe I can contact the author?
I mean, it'll be better for him to sell a WinXP compatiable game that works on ScummVM than a Win3.1 crappy version!
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

ERKAN wrote: I mean, it'll be better for him to sell a WinXP compatiable game that works on ScummVM than a Win3.1 crappy version!
Meh. Depends. You can make Windows 3.1 (and 99% of software that runs on it) work perfectly in Dosbox.
And Dosbox runs on XP, Vista, OSX, Linux, Solaris, various phones...etc...etc..
So actually it's way better to have the Win 3.1 version :)
ERKAN

Post by ERKAN »

bobdevis wrote: Meh. Depends. You can make Windows 3.1 (and 99% of software that runs on it) work perfectly in Dosbox.
The only problem is, that I don't have a Win3.1 version and can't order it!
The shareware though works on XP!
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Yeah. MS should start selling a legacy pack.
Dos 6.22, Win 3.11, Win 98SE and NT4. All on one DVD with CD iso's and floppy images. All for like $10 and a big red sticker "AS IS! NO SUPPORT! NO PATCHES!"

There is no reason not to do this since Win98SE is selling for a pretty penny on Ebay and MS is getting none of that money.
ERKAN

Post by ERKAN »

I wrote to David Gray
Here is his answer:
Thank you for your kind comments. I am receiving a number of comments similar to this and I will look at porting to SCUMMVM when I get a chance. The game already has a Windows 9x/XP/Vista/7 version but mobile phones does sound interesting.
Dark86

Post by Dark86 »

i hope it will be ported to Scummvm Hugu house of Horror one of my fav Adventure games.i still have the dos version in dosbox almost everyday.butt having it to play it scummvm would make it more easy to handle commands and inventory items.then the dos one had win31 version is not very good if you have any newer then Windows 95 8)
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Dark86 wrote:i hope it will be ported to Scummvm Hugu house of Horror one of my fav Adventure games.i still have the dos version in dosbox almost everyday.butt having it to play it scummvm would make it more easy to handle commands and inventory items.then the dos one had win31 version is not very good if you have any newer then Windows 95 8)
As far as I know there is a work in progress engine for that game in ScummVM already. http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Hugo

I suggest giving it a go with the latest SVN version. (I don't have the game myself)
Dark86

Post by Dark86 »

[quote="Graxer"][quote="Dark86"]i hope it will be ported to Scummvm Hugu house of Horror one of my fav Adventure games.i still have the dos version in dosbox almost everyday.butt having it to play it scummvm would make it more easy to handle commands and inventory items.then the dos one had win31 version is not very good if you have any newer then Windows 95 8)[/quote]As far as I know there is a work in progress engine for that game in ScummVM already. http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Hugo

I suggest giving it a go with the latest SVN version. (I don't have the game myself)[/quote]

i give it a go i doubt it very supported yet?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Dark86 wrote:
Graxer wrote:
Dark86 wrote:i hope it will be ported to Scummvm Hugu house of Horror one of my fav Adventure games.i still have the dos version in dosbox almost everyday.butt having it to play it scummvm would make it more easy to handle commands and inventory items.then the dos one had win31 version is not very good if you have any newer then Windows 95 8)
As far as I know there is a work in progress engine for that game in ScummVM already. http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Hugo

I suggest giving it a go with the latest SVN version. (I don't have the game myself)
i give it a go i doubt it very supported yet?
I wouldn't think the game will be completable in ScummVM yet, but you may be able to do something.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

AFAIK only the Windows versions are currently supported.
Dark86

Post by Dark86 »

[quote="Graxer"][quote="Dark86"][quote="Graxer"][quote="Dark86"]i hope it will be ported to Scummvm Hugu house of Horror one of my fav Adventure games.i still have the dos version in dosbox almost everyday.butt having it to play it scummvm would make it more easy to handle commands and inventory items.then the dos one had win31 version is not very good if you have any newer then Windows 95 8)[/quote]As far as I know there is a work in progress engine for that game in ScummVM already. http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Hugo

I suggest giving it a go with the latest SVN version. (I don't have the game myself)[/quote]

i give it a go i doubt it very supported yet?[/quote]I wouldn't think the game will be completable in ScummVM yet, but you may be able to do something.[/quote]

hugo 1 crash with error can't find background and no music in Hugo 3 or 4 so it far from completable then most games?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Hugo is still work in progress and not supported at all. When it's supported, an appropriate announcement will be made
Dark86

Post by Dark86 »

[quote="md5"]Hugo is still work in progress and not supported at all. When it's supported, an appropriate announcement will be made[/quote]

i notice butt i wait till then wise