[Updated] Broken Midi - OSX ver 1.3.1 - Wrong Instruments

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

phunimator

[Updated] Broken Midi - OSX ver 1.3.1 - Wrong Instruments

Post by phunimator »

Hi All,

I recently got a Roland CM-32LN, which has been working great for MT-32 music in SCUMMVM on my mac, but I am currently having problems with Secret of Monkey Island VGA/DOS floppy version.

I configure it so that I have TRUE MT-32 checked, and also Mixed/Adlib mode checked. This works for Monkey Island 2 fine for Midi and effects, but on Monkey Island, I only get the midi, and no sound effects, i.e, doors opening, seagulls, boiling pot.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can fix this please? Any help would be much appreciated :) Thanks in advance!

-P
Last edited by phunimator on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Using Roland CM-32LN with Monkey Island, get midi,no eff

Post by LordHoto »

phunimator wrote:I configure it so that I have TRUE MT-32 checked, and also Mixed/Adlib mode checked. This works for Monkey Island 2 fine for Midi and effects, but on Monkey Island, I only get the midi, and no sound effects, i.e, doors opening, seagulls, boiling pot.
That is strange. Usually when you select "Mixed AdLib/MIDI mode" you should get AdLib SFX in case no MIDI SFX exists. Since it works for MI2 for you I guess you already have setup your sound settings so that your CM-32LN's output and your Mac's audio output are mixed together before they are send to your speaker/headphones/whatever.

Maybe you should try recopying all your MI1 VGA files again to rule out any corrupted files.

You might also want to tell us what ScummVM version you are using: 1.1.1 or SVN?
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

LordHoto wrote:
phunimator wrote:I configure it so that I have TRUE MT-32 checked, and also Mixed/Adlib mode checked. This works for Monkey Island 2 fine for Midi and effects, but on Monkey Island, I only get the midi, and no sound effects, i.e, doors opening, seagulls, boiling pot.
That is strange. Usually when you select "Mixed AdLib/MIDI mode" you should get AdLib SFX in case no MIDI SFX exists. Since it works for MI2 for you I guess you already have setup your sound settings so that your CM-32LN's output and your Mac's audio output are mixed together before they are send to your speaker/headphones/whatever.

Maybe you should try recopying all your MI1 VGA files again to rule out any corrupted files.

You might also want to tell us what ScummVM version you are using: 1.1.1 or SVN?
Hi LordHoto,

Thanks for your reply! I checked and realised I was using an older ScummVM version from 2008, I think 0.11.1 on my Mac. I promptly upgraded to 1.1.1, and it's made it worse

Now the music sounds wrong completely, with missing instruments, and a weird tinkle-bell sound in place of where some other instruments were meant to play.

It has also affected Monkey Island 2, and Indiana Jones: FOA which would play perfect before, but now some instruments have been replaced with that tinkle-bell sound.

For example in the Monkey Island 2 intro, when it says "Deep in the Carribean Scabb Island" at the camp fire, there is usually a pan flute instrument that plays, but it's been replaced with that weird bell noise.

I have checked the settings to ensure everything is correct, and it matches what I had before. I have also tried the daily SVN build (1.2.x) which has the same problem. Any ideas what might be causing this?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

phunimator wrote:Now the music sounds wrong completely, with missing instruments, and a weird tinkle-bell sound in place of where some other instruments were meant to play.

It has also affected Monkey Island 2, and Indiana Jones: FOA which would play perfect before, but now some instruments have been replaced with that tinkle-bell sound.

For example in the Monkey Island 2 intro, when it says "Deep in the Carribean Scabb Island" at the camp fire, there is usually a pan flute instrument that plays, but it's been replaced with that weird bell noise.

I have checked the settings to ensure everything is correct, and it matches what I had before. I have also tried the daily SVN build (1.2.x) which has the same problem. Any ideas what might be causing this?
Usually messed up instruments indicate that the true MT-32 mode isn't setup correctly. Since you checked that I'm out of ideas right now :-/. Either your Roland CM-32LN isn't setup correctly, i.e. you might try some reset there or I am out of ideas right now.

I could check what sounds I get with my MT-32 without MT-32 mode, but I don't have access to it right now. If I can get the same sound result I will keep you updated.

How did you connect your Roland CM-32LN btw.? According to Wikipedia it uses some NEC PC98 specific connector.
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

LordHoto wrote:
phunimator wrote:Now the music sounds wrong completely, with missing instruments, and a weird tinkle-bell sound in place of where some other instruments were meant to play.

Usually messed up instruments indicate that the true MT-32 mode isn't setup correctly. Since you checked that I'm out of ideas right now :-/. Either your Roland CM-32LN isn't setup correctly, i.e. you might try some reset there or I am out of ideas right now.

I could check what sounds I get with my MT-32 without MT-32 mode, but I don't have access to it right now. If I can get the same sound result I will keep you updated.

How did you connect your Roland CM-32LN btw.? According to Wikipedia it uses some NEC PC98 specific connector.
Hi There!

I have it set up with a USB to Midi connector to my mac, I have tried Monkey Island 2 in Dosbox which works fine, only that in DOS, you can't have "Mixed Adlib/Midi", which is where SCUMMVM has a great advantage :).

The CM-32LN was designed for the NEC PC98 for easy connection, but it also has both MIDI IN and OUT for LA, and MPU-401 connections, so its pretty versatile! I was wondering if there are any older SCUMMVM builds I can try on site, because build 0.11.1 (from Feb 2008) on the mac definitely worked for MIDI, but I copied over it with this new build :'(
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

phunimator wrote:I was wondering if there are any older SCUMMVM builds I can try on site
All versions (current and older) are available on the sourceforge.net project page.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

phunimator wrote:I have it set up with a USB to Midi connector to my mac, I have tried Monkey Island 2 in Dosbox which works fine, only that in DOS, you can't have "Mixed Adlib/Midi", which is where SCUMMVM has a great advantage :).

The CM-32LN was designed for the NEC PC98 for easy connection, but it also has both MIDI IN and OUT for LA, and MPU-401 connections, so its pretty versatile! I was wondering if there are any older SCUMMVM builds I can try on site, because build 0.11.1 (from Feb 2008) on the mac definitely worked for MIDI, but I copied over it with this new build :'(
I checked our NEWS file and it seems mixed midi/adlib mode was first supported for MI1 in 0.12.0, so you should try this build.

Apart I think some Mac OS X MIDI backend was removed from 1.1.0 on (at least it's mentioned in the NEWS file), thus you might need to recheck your output device (and your system settings) in the latest official release (1.1.1) and SVN. SVN should allow you to select a device directly though (at least in case the OS X midi backend supports it). Maybe with 1.1.1 and SVN some other device is used instead of your CM32-LN and thus you get strange instruments. Usually you can see whether your MT-32 gets any data via the OSD of the MT-32. At least mine does have a green blinking light when it receives MIDI data and does show whether a sound plays on a channel on the OSD.
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

Hi There,

I redownloaded 0.11.1 and the Midi is working fine through this again. The midi definitely comes through in version 1.1.1, but some of the instruments are messed up. As per your recommendation, I will try version 0.12 as well, and anything further subsequently. I will also check the SVN, although when I did look, I only get the option to choose 'CoreMidi' for the MT-32, which is what I use to get it working on all other versions.

On the CM-32LN there is a green light that blinks everytime MIDI data comes through, as well as a blue light on the USB to MIDI connector which shows he data. I will report on the different versions, and let you know if it works. Thanks again for your patience and help!

--Edit

Just like to add that i've tried ScummVM version 1.0, and that is working with Monkey Island 1 with some sound effects, although some still seem to be missing, like the seagull in the bar, but at least its some progress :-P I'm just wondering for anyone else with a MAC and MT-32 or compatible hardware, what settings do you use?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

phunimator wrote:I redownloaded 0.11.1 and the Midi is working fine through this again. The midi definitely comes through in version 1.1.1, but some of the instruments are messed up. As per your recommendation, I will try version 0.12 as well, and anything further subsequently. I will also check the SVN, although when I did look, I only get the option to choose 'CoreMidi' for the MT-32, which is what I use to get it working on all other versions.
Maybe you should file a bug report about broken MIDI then and mention which versions work fine and where it started to fail.
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

LordHoto wrote:
phunimator wrote:I redownloaded 0.11.1 and the Midi is working fine through this again. The midi definitely comes through in version 1.1.1, but some of the instruments are messed up. As per your recommendation, I will try version 0.12 as well, and anything further subsequently. I will also check the SVN, although when I did look, I only get the option to choose 'CoreMidi' for the MT-32, which is what I use to get it working on all other versions.
Maybe you should file a bug report about broken MIDI then and mention which versions work fine and where it started to fail.
Hi there,

Thanks again for the recommendation, I think I will file a bug report, as I have since tried the Windows version of ScummVM 1.1.1 with the CM-32LN, and it seems to have near-perfect midi in all my floppy and CD copies of Monkey Island 1 and 2, as well as my Indy4 CD :) I will also try my Sam and Max/DOTT CD to confirm it through Windows also.

It seems that the OSX version works up to 1.0, then the midi breaks with 1.1.x upwards, although saying that I've noticed that the midi in Indy4 on the OSX regardless of the version seems slightly wrong.
phunimator

Broken Midi with OSX build 1.3.1 - Wrong Instruments

Post by phunimator »

Hi All,

Firstly, I apologise for bringing this old thread back from the dead, but I just wanted to report that this problem still persists in the most recent OSX builds.

I have tested this on a Roland MT-32, and CM-32LN, and there is still that weird sound error, where it is getting instruments wrong. This can be heard at the start of the intro for Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and at the campfire scene during the intro for Monkey Island 2. I can record this for anyone who is interested to 'hear' what I mean.

I have tested the Windows version which works fine, and also playing the games through my OSX version of DOSBOX plays the midi fine also, so the problem lies with ScummVM.

I have already updated the original file report logged with sourceforge bug tracker, I just wanted to now if anyone else out there has experienced this issue...? Thanks in advance!