Fascination extraction tool

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Sordid

Fascination extraction tool

Post by Sordid »

I just tried the extraction tool on my Fascination iso. Sadly it fails telling my something about the iso beeing to big. ANy ideas? It's acutally a bin/cue file converted to iso. I ripped it that way years ago and I don't wanna start looking for the original disc somewhere in the cellar (Spiders!!!)
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

You need to extract just the data track (mode1), which should be around 11MB. What size is yours?
Sordid

Post by Sordid »

That's my problem...I can't extract anything with the tool. And if i simply open it with UltraIso i get files not bigger than 2MB...
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I seem to recall this game had redbook type audio track(s). I can't remember if it was one long one or multiple.
At one stage in my life I travelled a bit and made images of CDs as it was easier.
I also seem to recall that iso won't hold that redbook audio track whereas bin/cue will.
Looks like you'll have to find that original. You shouldn't of converted to iso.
Hopefully I can give it a play in about 4 or 5 days. I'll try to remember to take some snaps for the screensaver album.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Maybe I wasn't being clear; in order for the tool to work the ISO should be mode1/2048 and around 11MB in size.

If yours is larger then either you have some weird unknown version of Fascination (unlikely, I'd say) or you just created the ISO wrongly (most likely).

I suggest trying again and/or with different software.

Note that in addition to extracting the data track, you'll also need to encode the audio track as mp3/ogg/flac.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

For reference, here's what I did:

Code: Select all

[Insert Fascination CD into CD-ROM drive]

$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=fascination.iso

$ md5sum fascination.iso 
d3b0153d50f18e7e63f05cf669e27d07  fascination.iso

$ ./scummvm-tools-cli --tool extract_fascination_cd fascination.iso 
Loaded 'fascination.iso' (10862592 bytes)
Found 'intro.stk' at 5ec000 (size: 545953).  Extracting...
Found 'disk1.stk' at 7a1800 (size: 479283).  Extracting...
Found 'disk2.stk' at 718800 (size: 560315).  Extracting...
Found 'disk3.stk' at 671800 (size: 682345).  Extracting...

$ md5sum *.stk
0a7e9f36b3f31906229d34a218e15e22  disk1.stk
07462aacbc93e47e22bb5e41455e0859  disk2.stk
ab7bd8146578b855ef2fb925829f8a1c  disk3.stk
c817949b7acd149fbfcddbdb20b0a6af  intro.stk
and additionally ripping the audio track with cdparanoia and encoding it as track01.ogg
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

joostp - I assume you're post is directed at sordid.

sordid - looks like you'll have to be brave and go to the cellar. It's probably something to do with converting a bin/cue to iso. You should never of done that.
Get the original, make an iso following joostp's instructions and then use some CD ripping tool to get the audio track.

edit - sorry joostp only your first post was up when I chose to reply.
and most important of all - thanks for adding one more game to ScummVM's list.
Sordid

Post by Sordid »

Ok....I did it. I simply mounted my bin/cue files and made a new iso with CDBurnerXP. That way I got it WITHOUT the audio track and extraction succeded. THANKS!!!

No spiders...hehe.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

When i run the extraction it comes back and says it finished perfectly fine, no errors to report... but I don't see any files in the output folder...?

Running extract_fascination_cd

Loaded 'Z:\ScummVM\Sooner\Fascination (CD DOS)\fasc.iso' (1988608 bytes)

Tool finished without errors!

What I notice however is my ISO is only 1,942 kb.... only about 1/5th of the 10 meg size you guys are suggesting. However when i go to make the ISO from the disc, magicdisc does see the data partition as being 10megs.

I then tried making the ISO with cdburnerxp, as suggested above - and this time i get a 4 meg file. It also was processed with "no errors", yet no output file was created.

Usually i don't have problems like this... i really hope my media is jacked up.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Your problem is that you created an iso based on the user data, not based on raw data. The hidden files are raw data, but of course are not user data as the TOC has been altered. You should use a tool that allows you to choose between the 2 options. The extracted ISO should be around 11Mb.

If you use windows, you could give a try to "SID DVD Backup Creator". It's free and does the job in 2 clicks.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Just a warning though: SID DVD Backup Creator contains some form of adware... A little cleanup after installation may be useful.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

For Windows, you might want to check free tools such as:
1) CDBurnerXP: http://cdburnerxp.se/
2) ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/

Both are free, they contain no adware as far as I know, and hopefully they should get the job done :)
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

great, cdburnerxp worked for me this time. Last time I tried to make an iso by selecting files from the disc This time I used the cd copy tool and it worked. Thanks guys.

I noticed it detects the game as censored. Were there 2 different releases?
Sordid

Post by Sordid »

scoriae wrote:great, cdburnerxp worked for me this time. Last time I tried to make an iso by selecting files from the disc This time I used the cd copy tool and it worked. Thanks guys.

CD Version is censored, floppy version ist uncensored.

I renamed the ripped audio track to track1.mp3 but there's still no voice. Any ideas?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Sordid wrote:
scoriae wrote:great, cdburnerxp worked for me this time. Last time I tried to make an iso by selecting files from the disc This time I used the cd copy tool and it worked. Thanks guys.

CD Version is censored, floppy version ist uncensored.

I renamed the ripped audio track to track1.mp3 but there's still no voice. Any ideas?
Did you add the rest of the files needed from the CD? Yesterday when I checked the files needed wiki I think ScummVM needs more than just the 4 files you extract with the new tool.
Here we go:

Fascination
PC CD
*.LIC
*.GDR
*.STK

Or maybe try 'track01.mp3' instead of 'track1.mp3'. This was something I caught before with the DS port and one of the redbook audio games. But it's probably that you haven't added the other files from the CD.