Broken Sword Directors Cut now on the PC

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Rosstifer1712

Broken Sword Directors Cut now on the PC

Post by Rosstifer1712 »

Graxer

Post by Graxer »

That's great news! I only have that Director's Cut on the iPod Touch and would like to play it on a bigger screen! :D

I dont think GoG will be getting it yet though. It says that it has the SecuROM DRM, and GoG dont support DRM. I can't see Revolution Software selling a DRM free version for a while.

Hopefully this will lead to a Broken Sword 2: Director's Cut.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

hmm, the dotemu link says it's drm free, unless I missed something.. and it's within gog's price range so hopefully it will turn up there sooner or later. will be buying it then.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Ah, it's just that I saw "DRM: SecuROM" on the gamersgate page. I just assumed it was the same for dotemu. I didn't notice the "Without DRM" logo.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

That's cool :)

But it will take some time until I buy it, I mean, I'm not that eager to play a game I've already played the non-director's cut of :p
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Freddo - If you really liked the first BS then this is one to seek out. Can you remember in the original version what Nico says to George when the 2 first meet and why she happens to be there? Well it's that back story that's fleshed out.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I must say I prefer the original opening to the new one. Much more dramatic and engaging. And the added content doesn't really do much for me storywise. I would have prefered a special edition like the mi games, but I'm happy the directors cut is out anyway and will buy it to support Revolution if nothing else.
jannar85

Post by jannar85 »

Longcat wrote:I must say I prefer the original opening to the new one. Much more dramatic and engaging. And the added content doesn't really do much for me storywise. I would have prefered a special edition like the mi games, but I'm happy the directors cut is out anyway and will buy it to support Revolution if nothing else.
But I'm happy that it's still in the game.

As for the PC version, I didn't like the 4:3 res. Why not allow it to be stretched?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

The cutscene that is still in the game noe has been dramtically cut and altered, it's not the same. And it loses some of it's effect by not being at the very beginning. The 4:3 is a result of Revolution not having saved very much of the original sourcr material. Everything would have to get redrawn for that to work.
jannar85

Post by jannar85 »

Longcat wrote:The cutscene that is still in the game noe has been dramtically cut and altered, it's not the same. And it loses some of it's effect by not being at the very beginning. The 4:3 is a result of Revolution not having saved very much of the original sourcr material. Everything would have to get redrawn for that to work.
Yes, of course, but in the Wii version, they stretched the image. Would be somewhat like ScummVM does.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Yes Longcat that was my first thought when I first played the game (dir-cut). The original opening was fantastic.
I know in order (storywise) some people might say it had to be changed.
I'm not so sure. Couldn't we have the original opening and then, as many films do, go back a little. Then we'd have the best of both worlds.
When I first played the DC that's what I was expecting.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

The problem with the original opening is that it is to low res to upscale as well. It still wouldn't be the same.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Is there any chance the Director's Cut will be supported in ScummVM, or is it completely re-coded?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

It is completely new engine, and at least Joost is not that interested in working on it.

I believe that if there would be couple of devoted volunteers, we could try to talk to Revolution and most probably will obtain the sources. But there are no volunteers as of today.

Eugene
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

It is now on Steam for those who are interested.