Please add Dingoo to the Downloads page

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

10basetom

Please add Dingoo to the Downloads page

Post by 10basetom »

ScummVM has been ported over to the Dingoo A320 running DINGUX, the Linux port for the Dingoo.

Please add the following Dingoo package to your Downloads page:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/din ... 0,0,20,276

Here are some icons you can use:

Thanks,
Tom
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

That's not how it works. We only add download links to *official ports. The Dingoo port is not official, and was made without our consent or knowledge.

Worse, it seems to be in violation of the GPL, as it appears that only a binary is offered, not the source code, nor any reference to the GPL. To make things worse, I cannot inspect the binary, either, because to download it, I would first have to register an account on that site.

So right now, it seems to me that this port is violating our copyright by distributing an unlicensed version of ScummVM. I might be wrong, but as I said, I cannot really verify it right now.

This situation is quite sad. I hope that the creators of this port decide to do the right thing, and make all source code available, as required by the GPL. Furthermore, we'd be happy to work with them to make their port official. They should contact us if they are willing to do that.
tobybear

Post by tobybear »

I don't have a Dingoo nor know much about it, but just for your information, it seems the original creator of this port has his own website where he supplies binaries and also the modified source code (no registration necessary):
http://cax.nm.ru/

The site 10basetom linked to seems to be only a generic download archive for the Dingoo - which I can't judge if it is violation of any copyright by distributing only the binary, but at least it links to the original page with the source code.
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

Fingolfin: The download link is below the screenshot on that page. The login form below is indeed misleading.

Additionally the modified source code is available at http://cax.nm.ru/, which is linked from the same page. This clears the legal situation of the port :) (edit: tobybear wrote faster than me :P)

10basetom: As Fingolfin said, in order to add it to the downloads page it has to be an official port, which means its source code modifications should be merged to the official code. To achieve this, the porter should update the port to work with our current subversion head and send the updated patches to our patch tracker for review here: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=41 ... p_id=37116
10basetom

Post by 10basetom »

The developer's name is Stanislav Borutsky. He didn't provide an email on his website, but he has a livejournal profile that includes his ICQ #. I'll try to connect him with you guys.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Excellent, it's super to hear that I was wrong and the port is clean :-). That brings up my mood for today :-).

10basetom, sure, go ahead. We'll be happy to discuss merging this port and thus making it official, making its maintainer an official team member, too.
Basically, he has to create a diff from his changes and submit that via our patch tracker. No need to be embarrassed of ugly hacks, either; most ports start out that way. But we can help clean those up and get them ready for inclusion. It usually is much quicker to do this when collaborating with the team.
10basetom

Post by 10basetom »

Btw, here are the list of changes (and his email address):

http://cax.nm.ru/dingoo/README.A320.txt

I have sent him an email referring him to this thread.
cax

Current state of Dingoo (Dingux) ScummVM port

Post by cax »

Stanislav Borutsky is me.

Original port for Dingux was developed by ChaoticBob by modifying SDL backend, so I started from his sources.

At the moment I am working on streamlining the port against latest SVN (1.2.something) sources. I already have Dingoo sources structure similar to GP32X and Wiz ports, and simplified them a lot.

There still exist an annoying problem: ScummVM crashes when unexpected keyboard event happens in game (e.g. some virtual keyboard key pressed in Monkey Island) or in menus (e.g. menu key mapped to F5 - btw, ChaoticBob already tried to address this problem by blocking F5 in menus events handler).

I will be glad if someone will help me with this problem.
(if the problem is known - then how to overcome it, if not - what's the best way to debug it).
Till then I feel I can't call the port *official*.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Don't worry about that. There have been official ports in worse condition, IIRC.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Hi cax,

nice to hear from you! We'll be happy to work with you, but it would be helpful to see the source, that makes it easier to suggest improvements. Also, don't worry to about getting it into a perfect state -- the earlier it gets merged into the official tree, the earlier it can benefit from this. E.g. when we make changes to our internal APIs, we usually try to update all code using those APIs. Meaning you won't have to chase our tails as badly anymore. Also, you could get a spot on our buildbot server. And we'd be more aware of your problems and could work with you on it.

So, I recommend you great a big patch file from your work, and go over to our patch tracker and submit it there!
cax

Post by cax »