SCI Pre-Release Testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Red_Breast wrote:Could somebody clarify something about the PQ2 demo?

Originally I understood the demo was broke somehow as in it's broke and was never fixed for some reason.

But from some of the recent posts I'm understanding that every version of the demo that the team have are broke but that there might (or definitely does) exist a version that's not broke.
Is that correct?
yes
We all have just that one demo from http://demos.robertmegone.com/sci/

and that's just broken. Maybe that demo is on one of the police quest collection CDs in a working state.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

m_kiewitz wrote:and that's just broken. Maybe that demo is on one of the police quest collection CDs in a working state.
No. Why would a Police Quest demo be on the PQ collection discs? That makes no sense, you have the full game already.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

clone2727 wrote:No. Why would a Police Quest demo be on the PQ collection discs? That makes no sense, you have the full game already.
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCI/Game_Collections

One of the Space Quest collections contains space quest 6 and its demo.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

m_kiewitz wrote:
clone2727 wrote:No. Why would a Police Quest demo be on the PQ collection discs? That makes no sense, you have the full game already.
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCI/Game_Collections

One of the Space Quest collections contains space quest 6 and its demo.
How does that make any sense?!?!?!? Ugh, Sierra... :P
Scarlatti

Post by Scarlatti »

clone2727 wrote:How does that make any sense?!?!?!? Ugh, Sierra... :P
As far as I remember, the SQ6 demo had unique puzzles and could be considered a bonus mini-game.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

My Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis also contains a non-interactive demo for the game. Ugh, LucasArts? ;)

It may have been intended as something to be put on display in computer stores, I guess.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:My Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis also contains a non-interactive demo for the game. Ugh, LucasArts? ;)
Ugh, LucasArts indeed! :P
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Scarlatti wrote:
As far as I remember, the SQ6 demo had unique puzzles and could be considered a bonus mini-game.
It did, yes. Also it used to run in ScummVM, but is no longer even detected. :(

Being SCI32 it's not really priority at the moment though.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Graxer wrote:It did, yes. Also it used to run in ScummVM, but is no longer even detected. :(
It works fine here. Maybe you have a different version? What are the md5's?
Collector

Post by Collector »

I can confirm that the PQ 4 Most Wanted collection does not have the demo. Most of the Sierra collections did not include demos of the full games already on the disc(s), but did occasionally did if the demo was different enough from the full version, such as the LSL7 demo.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

clone2727 wrote:
Graxer wrote:It did, yes. Also it used to run in ScummVM, but is no longer even detected. :(
It works fine here. Maybe you have a different version? What are the md5's?
Ah! Never mind, for some reason all the files in my Space Quest 6 demo folder were compressed. This is odd because im sure I used it in ScummVM previously. I must have pointed ScummVM to a different, unzipped directory before. :roll:

On a related note, does anyone know if VFW.SOL is needed for the demo as it doesn't decompress from the zip file I have from SpaceQuest.Net.
Last edited by Graxer on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Graxer wrote:On a related note, does anyone know if VFW.SOL is needed for the demo as it doesn't decompress from the zip file I have from SpaceQuest.Net.
Not needed. VFW = Video for Windows.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

clone2727 wrote:
Graxer wrote:On a related note, does anyone know if VFW.SOL is needed for the demo as it doesn't decompress from the zip file I have from SpaceQuest.Net.
Not needed. VFW = Video for Windows.
Thanks! :)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

The corruption the of the PQ2 demo's resources probably happened during a file transfer before it made it to the web.

And the demo for Space Quest 6 is much like the demo of the disk version of Freddy Pharkas in that it is a completely different story than what takes place in the full game (which makes sense because both were designed by the designer Josh Mandel). The idea being that you don't play part of the full game before you buy it at full price. Kind of a rip off in a way. This way you get the same sense of gameplay and puzzle style without actually playing anything from the full game. Kind of like Apogee's old episode shareware system.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Game: Mixed Up Mother Goose
Game Version: Floppy/Dos/English (SCI1.1)
ScummVM Version: 1.2.0 SVN 52290

Problems: Not completable due to bug 3051163. Also another major glitch: 3051145, and a minor one: 3051136.