About KQVI

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MrPunchy

About KQVI

Post by MrPunchy »

Hi,
In spain King's Quest VI is only non-talkie version, like english floppy version, well, i have the version in spanish with only texts and the english cd version with voices and text... the question is... I can add the file with the english voices to the spanish version and use voices and spanish text at the same time??
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

The CD and floppy versions are probably too different to share resources. It's probably possible to edit the TEXT resource and replace all the dialogue with translated text. It's possible. Text resources are only text and nothing else. You can use almost any edit program to alter the text. Get SCI Viewer and extract the text resource from both of you game copies and see if they match up. If they do you can just extract the text resources from the floppy version and drop them in your CD version's game directory and it should work.

EDIT: Scratch that. It seems SCI1.1 games use "message" resources instead of "text" resources and are a much different format. I wouldn't know how to go about altering those.

Barring that, at first glance it appears that the disk and CD versions use the same MESSAGE resources. It might be possible to share message resources between them. At least for my disk and CD versions.
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

mmm... I replace RESOURCE.MSG, but Scummvm crash at start...

SCI Viewer open the spanish RESOURCE.MSG but in english cd version crash...

Maybe is not possible to mix the two versions :(
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I guess not :(. Are there any special fonts or anything maybe that the foreign versions use for special characters?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Text and speech are all controlled by scripts, and the scripts in KQ6 didn't support simultaneous playing of text and speech. So no, it's not possible to have both speech and text at the same time.

Also, there were differences in each release, so you can't just copy resource.msg from one release to another. What you could do is export the messages from the Spanish version as patches to the English one, but since you can't have speech and text at the same time, there's no real point
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

ok!!!
I extract all the messages files from RESOURCE.MSG and all the fonts... and works!!

The problem is... well, can't use voices and text at the same time :(

well, scummvm have the option to show speech & subs at the same time, but still don't work... i`ll be waiting
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

MrPunchy wrote:well, scummvm have the option to show speech & subs at the same time, but still don't work... i`ll be waiting
That option is meant for games that support it. KQ6 doesn't support it. So we would have to patch that feature in and that's quite complicated.
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

X_X

The patches doesn`t work in the today build :(
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

How did you create these patches? There was a change regarding resources in today's build, that might have affected it...
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

I extract the messages and the fonts from the resources of the spanish version and copy this on the KQ6CD directory.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Yes, how did you extract these resources? What program did you use?

You can extract them via ScummVM itself, using the debugger (Control-D) and the "diskdump" console command, which can be used to save game resources as external patches, e.g.:

diskdump message 123

To view the available message files, you can use the list command:

list message

The aforementioned change to the way resources are read shouldn't affect anything, my mistake
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

I use SCI Viewer for extract the files.

Any change in the scummvm code cause the path don't work... because before intall the last build the path was working.

I had the build of four days ago...
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

And in Dosbox works well...
Scarlatti

Post by Scarlatti »

md5 wrote:Text and speech are all controlled by scripts, and the scripts in KQ6 didn't support simultaneous playing of text and speech. So no, it's not possible to have both speech and text at the same time.
And how do they work? Does KQ6 have separate scripts for text-only and voice-only, or it's some sort of flag that is turned on when the option is selected?
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

On this web exist a path for Space Ques IV, This path add a new option that allows to activate the voice and the text at the same time.
Probably the answer is there.

http://dementia.ludoskopos.com/projects ... 40#project

The path works well in scummvm.

Edit: This the direct download url of the path: http://dementia.ludoskopos.com/download ... ll_v1.0.7z