SCI Pre-Release Testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hwm

Post by hwm »

clone2727 wrote:
Red_Breast wrote:I assume the wiki includes everything from it anyway?
And more.
Well, the wiki entry is based on a rather old version of my list actually. I made an update, which was never incorporated in the wiki, possibly because my site (free hosting) went down soon after or perhaps the deeplink to version 0.91. Although I wouldn't say it had loads of extra entries compared to the older version, a lot of work was done on the SCI11/SCI32 sections. I'll see if I still got it somewhere.

I pretty much lost interest, so I'm glad it's progressing nicely here. I have a correction though: I saw that someone removed a "bad qfg2 entry"; I can assure you that this is a correct entry. It has the same resource files as v1.000, but a different interpreter (and VERSION file).
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

hwm wrote:Well, the wiki entry is based on a rather old version of my list actually. I made an update, which was never incorporated in the wiki, possibly because my site (free hosting) went down soon after or perhaps the deeplink to version 0.91. Although I wouldn't say it had loads of extra entries compared to the older version, a lot of work was done on the SCI11/SCI32 sections. I'll see if I still got it somewhere.
If you still have that update, I can add it on there. We would love to have it :)
hwm wrote:I have a correction though: I saw that someone removed a "bad qfg2 entry"; I can assure you that this is a correct entry. It has the same resource files as v1.000, but a different interpreter (and VERSION file).
Which entry was that?
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

Game: Police Quest 2 Demo ("fixed" version)
ScummVM version: 1.2.0svn52211
Platform: Windows7 32bit
Problems: None. Completable.

I managed to "fix" the police quest 2 demo.
The current one had a broken resource.001 file.
In this file, views {4,6,7,10,13,14,15} were corrupt.
I dumped the appropriate views from the real game to the game folder and now the demo works fine.
From the size of the views and their context in the demo I noticed that all but one (view.010) of the views match exactly to the the real game.
View #10 was apparently made just for this demo and is probably showing Bonds walking with his pistol by his side. I replaced this view with view #0 which shows bonds walking w/o a pistol. The view is used in the last scene in the demo where Bonds & Bains walk toward each other. The scene looks fine with view #0 as well so it's not so bad. I guess a recreated view could be drawn by hand.
The fixed demo can be found here:
http://hotfile.com/dl/63607950/adcdc46/ ... n.zip.html
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

I won't consider the PQ2 demo fixed until an uncorrupted original is found, as I said in the bug report.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

You might as well consider it playable because if someone actually has the original un-corrupted demo it'll work fine, as showcased by Omer's replacement of View files. As I understand it, the problem is in executing the scripts and the scripts crash the game (regardless of interpreter) not ScummVM and not View resources.

But whatever.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

No, it's several corrupted views. Nothing to do with ScummVM or scripts. The original executable will freeze too. Where did you get that info?
MusicallyInspired

That is exactly what I meant to say I just didn't explain it correctly. The game scripts crash the game because they call VIEW resources that are corrupted. But if they're not corrupted (if you replace them) the scripts run fine. So the game scripts are not the source of the problem. Therefore, the demo is playable if one has the correct resources. I don't see a reason not to knock it off the list.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:That is exactly what I meant to say I just didn't explain it correctly. The game scripts crash the game because they call VIEW resources that are corrupted. But if they're not corrupted (if you replace them) the scripts run fine. So the game scripts are not the source of the problem. Therefore, the demo is playable if one has the correct resources. I don't see a reason not to knock it off the list.
No, the scripts don't crash the game. With that logic, any crash would be caused by the scripts. The game crashes because of corrupted views, which cannot really be disputed.

EDIT: (We're really arguing over nothing because we're both in agreement... Sorry, it's my nit-picking side showing again :P)

In any case, I'm not comfortable redistributing those view patches with the demo. It's extreme gray area. So, yes, that would knock it off the list right there.
Last edited by clone2727 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

KuroShiro wrote:Yeah, there's a reason QFG4 is not on the list of games to test. SCI2.1 support is, as the wiki says, basically non-existent.
No, it says SCI3 support is non-existent and that SCI2.1 is in early stages of development.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

clone2727 wrote:
KuroShiro wrote:Yeah, there's a reason QFG4 is not on the list of games to test. SCI2.1 support is, as the wiki says, basically non-existent.
No, it says SCI3 support is non-existent and that SCI2.1 is in early stages of development.
Nit-pick nit-pick. :P

Though you are right of course.
Mim

Post by Mim »

KuroShiro wrote:Nit-pick nit-pick. :P
I would not say nit-picking. GK2 - SCI2.1 game in ScummVM. Far from completed but far from non-existent too. :)

md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

That is certainly true. SCI2 and SCI2.1 games are playable, but they have big issues (a lot of things aren't done yet).

SCI3 games are different.... the way the game kernel works has been redesigned, which is a much bigger change, and is a future TODO, after all the others are done
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

Game: Space Quest Remake
Game Version: Floppy/DOS/Spanish
ScummVM Version: 1.2.0svn52260
Operating System: Windows XP

Problems:
ScummVM crash after skip the intro.
MusicallyInspired

clone2727 wrote:No, the scripts don't crash the game. With that logic, any crash would be caused by the scripts. The game crashes because of corrupted views, which cannot really be disputed.

EDIT: (We're really arguing over nothing because we're both in agreement... Sorry, it's my nit-picking side showing again :P)

In any case, I'm not comfortable redistributing those view patches with the demo. It's extreme gray area. So, yes, that would knock it off the list right there.
I'm not saying redistribute the demo with patched resources, I'm saying consider it supported with a note that the current downloadable version of the demo is corrupt and move on.

And without nit-picking the world would not spin. :)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Could somebody clarify something about the PQ2 demo?

Originally I understood the demo was broke somehow as in it's broke and was never fixed for some reason.

But from some of the recent posts I'm understanding that every version of the demo that the team have are broke but that there might (or definitely does) exist a version that's not broke.
Is that correct?
(I'm aware of OmerMor's version - I'm talking about when the demo(s) were originally released.)