I'm installing all of my games.

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

I'm installing all of my games.

Post by Serious Callers Only »

Into digital form. Bought a 300 GB external drive. :D .

Ok i have a problem with dos/scummvm games. In those cases i like to have both the native game and scummvm version available, but duplicating files is verbotten to me.

So i ended up using the mount command of dosbox when i can. If you mount a dir as a drive (specifically the same or a subdir of the current drive). The dos game thinks all is correct and starts, and the data files are still available to scummmvm.
However this doesn't work with two discs or more cd games that have files with the same name. In this case, the scummvm solution is to rename the files, and that doesn't work with the original. In broken sword 1 i ended up making a symbolic link to the speech files, since i could modify the parent dir in a config file for the dos version (not their names unfortunately, otherwise the symbolic link wouldn't be needed), thus tying the scummvm version of the game to linux (bah).

Now i'm installing Discworld 2 and a similar situation emerges however discworld doesn't allow changing the "cd path". Now dosbox has a solution to this problem (multiple cds). They use a internal imgmount program that "changes" a cd image when a key combination is pressed. But scummvm won't work with images.

Is there any way to make a symbolic link to inside a image?
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

I wonder if i can mount 2 drives on different subdirs and the game will recognize it on cd change...

Anyone got a discworld 2 cd dos version save just before it asks for cd2? (or in cd2 i guess that works too).

Maybe i should also ask for a RFE on dosbox to make normal mount also "change discs" if started with two dirs.
Last edited by Serious Callers Only on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Serious Callers Only wrote:I wonder if i can mount 2 drives on different subdirs and the game will recognize it on cd change...

Maybe i should also ask for a RFE on dosbox to make normal mount also "change discs" if started with two dirs.
Talking to oneself is sometimes seen as a sign of senility.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Nonsense. The nerve! Get out of my lawn.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

You should be able to simlink to a file inside an iso if you mount it first.
mount -o loop disk1.iso /mnt/disk
When mounted, the iso becomes part of the directory tree and should be ready to be simlinked anyway you want.

All of this will end up giving you a big, incomprehensible and hard-to-backup mess, however.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

bobdevis wrote:You should be able to simlink to a file inside an iso if you mount it first.
mount -o loop disk1.iso /mnt/disk
When mounted, the iso becomes part of the directory tree and should be ready to be simlinked anyway you want.

All of this will end up giving you a big, incomprehensible and hard-to-backup mess, however.
This would be fine except there is no way to get the scummvm launcher to do it for me. There is probably a way to do it from the command like, but it's silly (and i will forget) that to start Discworld 2, i have to click this shortcut instead of launching it from the launcher like all the other games.

BTW that mount shenanigans with dosbox don't work for this two cd game with same file names. It's imgmount or nothing for that.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Red_Breast wrote:
Serious Callers Only wrote:I wonder if i can mount 2 drives on different subdirs and the game will recognize it on cd change...

Talking to oneself is sometimes seen as a sign of senility.
Not according to Infocom. I think they called it a sign of 'impending mental instability', but then with my dementia it's hard to be sure any more.