Question/Suggestion about the GUI

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rowie4life

Question/Suggestion about the GUI

Post by rowie4life »

Hello all, I was just wondering if there is an add-on or something for the ScummVM GUI, so you could view the games list as banners, details or box art? I made a quick and dirty example below.

Thanks.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

That's a pretty nice idea, at least as an option. The mock-up you did looks quite good.

I can see two potential problems with it though: one, you'd have to find someone willing to create those screens for every game supported by ScummVM -- not an impossible task surely, but it would take a lot of busy work. Two, it's possible that it could get into some sketchy legal territory with the box art, though I can't really comment too much on that.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I like the idea of a more Steam-like interface (as an option, to please people who love it the way it is). But it'd add that nice extra professional flare to the already excellent program. I'm sure many would gladly contribute graphics for such an interface, though.
rowie4life

Post by rowie4life »

KuroShiro wrote:That's a pretty nice idea, at least as an option. The mock-up you did looks quite good.

I can see two potential problems with it though: one, you'd have to find someone willing to create those screens for every game supported by ScummVM -- not an impossible task surely, but it would take a lot of busy work. Two, it's possible that it could get into some sketchy legal territory with the box art, though I can't really comment too much on that.
I'm sure the community will contribute the artwork; I’d make the games I own. There are plenty of sites that have covers or box art, and they haven't got into trouble, so long as the art isn’t included with the ScummVM software it should be OK.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

I like!
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

You could use the high-rez icons people have been making for this instead of the box-covers;
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4127
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

If somebody here volunteers to write all the code for this, and the code is written in a clean fashion (in particular it must be possible to completely turn it off again, so that low-end platforms are now affected negatively by all the additional code and data required for this), sure, this could happen in principle. As long as all artwork is hosted externally and must be installed by the user, so that ScummVM does not get legal troubles, at least.
rowie4life

Post by rowie4life »

bobdevis wrote:You could use the high-rez icons people have been making for this instead of the box-covers;
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4127
They look very nice.
fingolfin wrote:If somebody here volunteers to write all the code for this, and the code is written in a clean fashion (in particular it must be possible to completely turn it off again, so that low-end platforms are now affected negatively by all the additional code and data required for this), sure, this could happen in principle. As long as all artwork is hosted externally and must be installed by the user, so that ScummVM does not get legal troubles, at least.
We just have to hope that some kind person will put their time and skill into doing it. I'd do it myself if I knew how.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

For the reference, we had this idea in our TODO for quite some time (which is really a mix of TODOs and wild ideas and stuff, not necessarily things we *really* intend to do some day).
rowie4life

Post by rowie4life »

Cool. I wouldn't want the devs to stop updating the software just to do this. Their effort is better served getting compatibility up.
badbob001

Post by badbob001 »

Having the boxart would be a great layout view. But since that appears to be a legal issue, then how about using in-game screenshots, especially of the title screen? The scummvm website doesn't seem to have a legal issue collecting and displaying in-game screenshots and the software can download the shots directly from the website post-install to avoid packaging them with the software.