How to run multi-disc games! (CoMI, Broken Sword, etc.)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

User avatar
Graxer
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:24 pm
Location: Scotland

Post by Graxer » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:57 am

Thanks for the sticky!

The guide is now more 4:3 friendly. (Suitable for 1024x768)

User avatar
Red_Breast
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: The Bar Of Gold, Upper Swandam Lane.

Post by Red_Breast » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:21 pm

Nice work Graxer. Something similar for Monkey Island CDDA (and the fact that Monkey2 has no CDDA) and the 2 most frequently asked subjects would be covered. :wink:
K3B is a good choice as well. As much as I prefer Gnome I do use many K apps including K3B.

User avatar
Graxer
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:24 pm
Location: Scotland

Post by Graxer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 pm

Red_Breast wrote:Nice work Graxer. Something similar for Monkey Island CDDA (and the fact that Monkey2 has no CDDA) and the 2 most frequently asked subjects would be covered. :wink:
K3B is a good choice as well. As much as I prefer Gnome I do use many K apps including K3B.
Thanks Red_Breast.

Yes, the CDDA details need a bit of work. However, I plan on doing it as I write it, and my CDs are at home. (I'm at university at the moment)

Also, this guide was more pointed towards multi-CD games, but I may mention MI. I assume Monkey Island isn't any different from most CD based games? (My CD copy is taken from the Special Edition)

User avatar
Red_Breast
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: The Bar Of Gold, Upper Swandam Lane.

Post by Red_Breast » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:02 pm

I think it should be separate.
What the guide does needs to be clear within the few words used for the thread title.
As I already said. The 2 most common threads in 'Help & Support' are multi-disc games and Monkey1 audio.
This thread's title is fine so use something similar.
example: 'How to extract and use CD audio for the first Monkey Island'.
Hopefully the team will make it a sticky like this one. You have my vote for starters.

There are a number of versions of the CD version of the game which is why I mentioned Monkey2. I've seen posts where people don't understand what audio belongs to what game when they have a CD with both games on it, or the one with the CoMI demo on it. It needs to be pointed out that the CDDA only belongs to the first game.
Maybe also point out that it doesn't apply to running the game on nintendoDS and that there is already a guide for that. I don't know if any of the other platforms use nintendoDS's compressed .wav format or some other method which isn't the usual mp3/ogg/flac.

simpo64
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:57 am
Location: Australia

Post by simpo64 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:35 am

Hi i just finished the first cd of monkey island 3 and when it said to change the disk i changed and clicked ok and nothing happened any ideas please?

User avatar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 3303
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Post by eriktorbjorn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:40 am

simpo64 wrote:Hi i just finished the first cd of monkey island 3 and when it said to change the disk i changed and clicked ok and nothing happened any ideas please?
Did you try reading the first post in this thread? (The ScummVM README file has some information too, but not as detailed.)

simpo64
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:57 am
Location: Australia

Post by simpo64 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:21 am

still does the same thing

User avatar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 3303
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Post by eriktorbjorn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:59 am

simpo64 wrote:still does the same thing
The only reason I know of for the SCUMM engine to ask for another CD is if it fails to find the data file it needs. But if you've followed the instructions and copied all of the necessary data files from both CDs to a folder on your hard disk (and made sure that's the folder you pointed to when adding the game), that shouldn't happen.

(I know some older versions of ScummVM had trouble when transitioning from the first to the second half of the game, but I think that just caused the game to crash, not ask for a CD.)

simpo64
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:57 am
Location: Australia

Post by simpo64 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:39 am

it says it cant find comi.la2 and asks me to change to cd 2 even though the file is in the folder
so frustrating

User avatar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 3303
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Post by eriktorbjorn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:12 am

simpo64 wrote:it says it cant find comi.la2 and asks me to change to cd 2 even though the file is in the folder
so frustrating
Odd. Have you double-checked that it really is the same folder as the one shown as the "Game Path" in the "Edit Game..." dialog?

User avatar
rowie4life
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:47 pm
Location: England

Post by rowie4life » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:49 pm

I just played CoMI all the way through for the first time in about 8 or more years. I'd forgotten most of it, so it was like playing it for the first time again. So thanks for this guide.

User avatar
Graxer
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:24 pm
Location: Scotland

Post by Graxer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:12 pm

rowie4life wrote:I just played CoMI all the way through for the first time in about 8 or more years. I'd forgotten most of it, so it was like playing it for the first time again. So thanks for this guide.
No problem! I'm gald it helped! :D

User avatar
Graxer
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:24 pm
Location: Scotland

Post by Graxer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:48 pm

I have just updated and added to the guide slightly. If anyone knows of any other platforms, like the DS, where there are added complications with adding games (or didn't have full compatability at the last proper release) your input would be appreciated. :)

seximexi
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:50 pm
Location: cardiff

Post by seximexi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:52 pm

hey guys! sorry total noob here, so to stop it crashing when you need a disc change... do you need to put all the files from the game (disc1 disc2 etc) into one folder, so all the game files are in one folder? Or is it just specific files that are listed in the link that need to be in the same folder?
thanks, and sorry if you have already been through this trying to keep up :D
Mexi

User avatar
Graxer
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:24 pm
Location: Scotland

Post by Graxer » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:18 pm

seximexi wrote:hey guys! sorry total noob here, so to stop it crashing when you need a disc change... do you need to put all the files from the game (disc1 disc2 etc) into one folder, so all the game files are in one folder? Or is it just specific files that are listed in the link that need to be in the same folder?
thanks, and sorry if you have already been through this trying to keep up :D
Mexi
You only need the files listed in the link to be in the folder you create and run the game from. The other ones won't cause any harm, but they are a waste of space in my opinion.

I altered the first post slightly to reflect this as I am trying to make the guide as easy to understand as possible.

Post Reply