Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

McKnallski wrote:Star Trek: A Final Unity
and
Star Wars: Rebel Assault 1+2
(That will never happen because it is not an Adventure but Technically it would be no big Problem)
I'm compelled to ask what makes you say "it would be no big Problem"
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Because he wouldn't be the one to do it? But maybe that's unfair. Maybe he's a coding genius and knows what he's talking about. It could happen. :wink:
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

MeddlingMonk wrote:Because he wouldn't be the one to do it? But maybe that's unfair. Maybe he's a coding genius and knows what he's talking about. It could happen. :wink:
I agree and I tried to word what I said in the right way. It may sound a little passively aggressive but it's meant to cut both ways. That's why I ask "what makes you say "it would be no big Problem"?"
Maybe McKnallski is working on the game as I type. I even done a quick search but I couldn't find anything about a new Rebel engine.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Torbjorn already summed this up:
eriktorbjorn wrote:From what I understand they're a bit like the biker fight scenes in Full Throttle, which as far as I know use a lot of hard-coded game logic.
They both use INSANE with SMUSH videos (RA1 uses the unhandled version 1 too).
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

And INSANE is an insane pile of hard coded logic... i.e. not something that is really "reusable". So, yeah, we might have the SMUSH video decoder... erhm... that's it... :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fingolfin wrote:we might have the SMUSH video decoder... erhm... that's it... :)
And, as clone2727, even that probably won't work for at least the first game. For all I know, even the second may not use supported compression schemes. I don't have either game, but I seem to recall that the Outlaws movies work only partially in ScummVM, for instance.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
fingolfin wrote:we might have the SMUSH video decoder... erhm... that's it... :)
And, as clone2727, even that probably won't work for at least the first game. For all I know, even the second may not use supported compression schemes. I don't have either game, but I seem to recall that the Outlaws movies work only partially in ScummVM, for instance.
I undertook an experiment a while back for playing both RA1 and RA2 videos in ScummVM. RA2 works fine, but has a different audio rate (a couple other minor issues with channels too). I got RA1 video to work with minor changes, but no audio and no palette changes. I'm not sure, but I think that RA1/RA2 is not hardcoded - "CHK" files with each video. I guess the INSANE code could be used as a very very very early starting point, and that's it :wink:
Rosstifer1712

Post by Rosstifer1712 »

I'd really like to see some of the Star Trek adventure games be part of ScummVM that would be awesome.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Rosstifer1712 wrote:I'd really like to see some of the Star Trek adventure games be part of ScummVM that would be awesome.
There is a very early WIP engine by clone2727 I believe, but it's not being worked on at the moment.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

KuroShiro wrote:
Rosstifer1712 wrote:I'd really like to see some of the Star Trek adventure games be part of ScummVM that would be awesome.
There is a very early WIP engine by clone2727 I believe, but it's not being worked on at the moment.
Yeah, it's over here. Since uploading it, I've only kept it compiling, cleaned up Mac support, and added QuickTime videos. That's pretty much it. My priorities are elsewhere.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

clone2727 wrote:Yeah, it's over here. Since uploading it, I've only kept it compiling, cleaned up Mac support, and added QuickTime videos. That's pretty much it. My priorities are elsewhere.
Yes, and if those priorities are SCI and Mohawk support, I am quite happy with them being that way. :D
bobbytothemax

Post by bobbytothemax »

I would also like to see the 2 Pink Panther (Passport to Peril and Hokus Pokus) games supported.
Gahan Wilson's the Ultimate Haunted House would also be delightful :D
Tes

Post by Tes »

Yeah, I too would LOVE to see Pink Panther: Passport to Peril on ScummVM for S60! :D It's a very good 2D point-and-click quest and needs neither high-speed processor (only 100MHz) nor big amount of RAM (16mb)... I guess it's like agent fox or pajama sam series that are already supported by ScummVM...
Last edited by Tes on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

clone2727 wrote:
KuroShiro wrote:
Yeah, it's over here. Since uploading it, I've only kept it compiling, cleaned up Mac support, and added QuickTime videos. That's pretty much it. My priorities are elsewhere.
There is also unity engine.

Eugene
Pseudo_Intellectual

And now for some rather uncommon game proposals

Post by Pseudo_Intellectual »

Don't get me wrong: I'm as interested as anyone in encouraging (other people to conduct) further scholarship into unearthing the engine commonalities of popular early graphical adventure games like Interplay's Mindshadow, Borrowed Time and Tass Times, or Accolade's Altered Destiny and Les Manley games. But you've heard those suggestions a million times before, and if they're not even in the wiki when things like Lands of Lore are, it's probably for a darned good reason.

Some underdogs however have likely been overlooked simply due to extreme obscurity, and who knows -- perhaps access to old source for them could be merely an e-mail hunt away. (Understood, access to source code is just a step on the way to support, and is entirely secondary to interest in the game! But how can you be interested in it if you don't even know about it?)

With support for the early AGI games folded in, you must have people clamouring for inclusion of other AGI-game-clones, like Hugo's House of Horrors. A couple of others you may have overlooked might include: Earthrise and the Avvy/Avalot games (eg here's one ... the author even expressed interest in releasing his original source code at http://marnanel.org/making-avaricius-an ... e-software)

Midway between the AGI kind of game and the more traditional icon-based ones SCUMMVM loves the best is a game many love to hate, the adaptation of the movie Psycho. More scary is a property whose owner has recently expressed interest in keeping alive, the Last Half of Darkness trilogy, and in its wake other games with similar interfaces -- GrailQuest, Plan 9 from Outer Space, and for a change of pace, the final Brad Stallion game -- Sex Olympics! Okay, well maybe not that last one.

Then there's the tip of the iceberg into Germany's vast and under-represented adventure game tradition, unknown among non-German speakers, but still going strong a decade after experiencing commercial extinction elsewhere. There are newer titles, but an exciting "classic" crossroads would be the games in Software 2000's Artventure series.

Last off, for the Lucasfilm fans in the crowd, it might not be too late to reach the author of the notorious Maniac Mansion fangame Maniac Jackson and the Moonwalking Mindbenders.

So these won't enter the SCUMMVM stable until pigs fly -- but hey, you just got introduced to a dozen games you never knew about before!