The Feeble Files

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

FeebleFiles

The Feeble Files

Post by FeebleFiles »

Hello,

i recently found that game in my cupport, and i thought i can play it with scummVM, but no :-(

I take a look at the source of it, and i see that FeebleFiles is in many h and cpps included.

such as in the vga.cpp, i am interressting a long time now in this format, and i read in scummwiki that you have the source of this game.

Can you give me please some more infos about the format of feeblefiles or a cpp where i can see only the file format of the feeble files.

thank you very much in advance

regards

Sebastian
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

The Feeble Files is a recent addition to ScummVM and there has not been much progress so far. The game will be at least partially playable with ScummVM in the future though.
Much of the original source code of the Feeble Files is still in assembler, so doesn't offer detailed information about the layout of the file formats used in the game.
The original source code of the Feeble Files can't be made public, so I can only suggest the ScummVM source code as a reference. The ScummVM source code already provides basic information on the file formats (Except graphics differences) used by this game.
FeebleFiles

Post by FeebleFiles »

Oh, that doesnt sounds so good :oops:

but i personally think that the diefferences between Simon II and The Feeble Files ist so big, i take a look at the run95.exe and i see that my one is from year 95,

and if i would run it, above in the title there is standing Simon the sorcerrer II

http://www.sebby44.de/Temp/error.png

so i think that the run95.exe is exactly the same
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

FeebleFiles wrote:i take a look at the run95.exe and i see that my one is from year 95
I suggest you not to waste your time unless you're really experienced in reverse engineering. We have complete source code for that game, and Kirben who is a great developer, works on it. I bet the game will show signs of life much faster than you will find anything meaningful in the executable. Simon engine isn't that straighforward inside.

If you really dying of working on Feeble Files, consider picking some task from our TODO/Wiki/whatever, eventually you may be invited to ScummVM team and then you will be able to get access to the sources. Most sources we were donated with are on undisclosure agreement.

Eugene
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

Hmm, I thought that the ScummVM team had stated that "The Feeble Files" might only be playable 10 years after hell froze over - guess I missed a few updates there. What happened to the cutscene issue?

Don't take this the wrong way, I am thrilled at the possibility that I might get my copy of it to work one day - I just didn't expect it with ScummVM.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

The main thing which got changed is that now we freely talk with AdventureSoft. For a long period of time our e-mails were plainly ignored. Speaking of cutscenes, this issue is being discussed, and it is not excluded (but not guaranteed either) that we will provide recoded versions, or even better quality ones.

Eugene
FeebleFiles

Post by FeebleFiles »

I hope you are able to make the feeble files playable, i want play this game on an newer pc
vnena

Post by vnena »

Bought this game year or two ago from ebay but since getting it to run wasn't that easy I am also hoping for good kind of developments regarding the cut scenes and so on! Maybe will actually play it one day :-)
neosmagus

Post by neosmagus »

Ooh, I'm looking forward to playing Feeble Files as well, also just recently got it on EBay. Together with Simon 3d (which seems like its good, but that jittery camera annoys the hell out of me).

I got an old P100 in the other room, where it kind of runs on... at least thats better than not running at all on XP. But it is soooo slow... :(
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

That's one topic that interests me too.

I have the German Versions of Simon1+2, but plan to buy the English ones via the AdventureSoft OnlineStore.

Now, I really consider buying Simon1+2+3+Pinball+PuzzlePack, along with FeebleFiles and ElviraTrilogy.

I would really hope that ScummVM would support at least 1 additional title of those I consider buying, since this would be a strong buying reason for me!

* Hint to original game developers possibly reading this: What would you think would help ScummVM most to support your games? :D *

@Neosmagus:

Yeah I got my good-old P166 with 64MB RAM too with a Matrox Millenium 4MB, a 3DFX Voodoo2 12MB, a SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold and a Roland MT32 and I worship this thing as if it would be the most technical advanced computer ever built. 8) :wink: :D
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Matrox Millenium, blimey that takes me back...

My setup (well in a cupboard) P133, 64mb RAM, 1.2gb hard drive, 2x CD ROM, Matrox Mystique, 3DFX VooDoo 2 (x2) SLI, SB AWE64.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

joachimeberhard wrote:What would you think would help ScummVM most to support your games?
More developers who will be interested in work and will have enough time to do the work. I.e. look at LordHoto and vinterstum and what they did to kyra engine in such short period of time.

Right now we really need some not-so-experienced dev to work on gob engine. To work, not talk about it, as I've explained the task to at least 3 different people (not the team members) and saw no single line of code. :?

Eugene
John the adventurer

Post by John the adventurer »

What about more documented (and same quality or better) source code and public documents for helping new developers to doing stuff for ScummVM? Instead writing it for each one, doing a very well done thing for all ones, and interested ones will start it instead being curious...
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

John the adventurer wrote:What about more documented (and same quality or better) source code and public documents for helping new developers to doing stuff for ScummVM?
Oh, yes, we need documentation writers :). Hopefully Marticus will end up with some user docs, but we need a tech writer (who understands C++) too.
John the adventurer wrote:Instead writing it for each one, doing a very well done thing for all ones, and interested ones will start it instead being curious...
Well, what I meant above is to explain a task which has to be done. Once it's done there will be no need to mention it. And this task is enlisted on Gob engine progress page on wiki, but just in one short sentence. As I explained, this task (putting code into objects) is suitable for beginner programmers, so I had to explain them in more words that on that Wiki page.

And after all, we're open to new developers and usually explain all info we know. Only exception is those lazy pals who want every step to be explained instead of trying to figure out at least something by themselves. Those are somewhat annoying, but even in such case we try to be polite as long as possible.

Eugene
FeebleFiles

Post by FeebleFiles »

Are There any new news about the Feeble Files and ScummVM, any new knowledge about the formats, or some sucess in playing parts of it?

Regards

Sebastian