Voice Cut-Off with lame compressed .bun files

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

Ok.Got the Source-Code. I am trying it with Dev C++ but I have no Idea how to use it correctly.

I never really used C++ so i do not know what file to load into the Program.

I tried it with compress.cpp but the Compiling did not work.

I am a real Noob with this.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

McKnallski wrote:Ok.Got the Source-Code. I am trying it with Dev C++ but I have no Idea how to use it correctly.

I never really used C++ so i do not know what file to load into the Program.

I tried it with compress.cpp but the Compiling did not work.

I am a real Noob with this.
I don't think they really support Dev-C++ anymore, the project files are very out of date. You should download either the free edition of Visual C++, or MinGW. Visual C++ is probably a little easier, but also a bit less configurable.

What you have to do for Visual C++ (and Dev-C++, though I don't know if it'll even work anymore) is first install all the needed libraries, then find the project file (not any individual .cpp or .h file), open it, and compile. It should be in the 'dists' folder of the source code. Again, see the wiki page I linked to before for more detailed instructions. The process is basically the same for the tools and the main program.
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

That is too complicated for me. The Instructions in the Wiki too. I am now using Visual C++ Express Edition 2008.

I managed to compile the degob, dekrya, descumm and the desword2.

But I only need the toolscli.

But there are Errors during compiling, there is something with missing zlib.h and so on.

And the Wiki is does not really help a Noob like me.

But anyway thanks for your Help.

Isn´t there a way to Order the Builbot to compile the Tools?
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Since I have it all set up already, here is the tools cli, compiled with the latest code...

http://rapidshare.com/files/400540755/s ... i.exe.html
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

Thank you very much.

Now I hope it solves the Problem with the Voice Cut-Offs.

[EDIT]
Ok. I tested it but with CBR the Problem is still the same.
I think it is a problem of the LAME Encoder.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Why don't you try flac or vorbis ogg compression to see if it is the lame encoder.
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

The Vorbis and Flac does not have the Problem.

But i am not sure if it is a compatibility Problem with the ScummVM Tool or the Lame Encoder itself.

[EDIT]
I did some further testings.
I thought LAME cannot process short wav files (shorter than 2 Seconds) correctly.

Now I encoded some single and very short .wav files from The Dig using the LAME Executable (without using ScummVM Tools).
Now there are no Cut-Offs.

So there are still some possible Problem Sources:
-ScummVM got a Bug with reading and playing MP3 files from .BUN files.
-The ScummVM Tool for creating .BUN files got a problem with converting the files to MP3.
Last edited by McKnallski on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Please can you create a bug report?
FAQ 5.10 gives instructions on how to do this.
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

Don't wanna open a new thread for this, but why is it impossible to use "vorbis -q -2 (or -1)" ?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

SithlordDK wrote:Don't wanna open a new thread for this, but why is it impossible to use "vorbis -q -2 (or -1)" ?
I don't think -q -2 is valid. The encoding tools use either oggenc or the libvorbisenc library depending how it was compiled. Documentation for both gives the same info.
From oggenc man page:

Code: Select all

-q n, --quality=n
Sets encoding quality to n, between -1 (very low) and 10 (very high). This is the default mode of operation, with a default quality level of 3. Fractional quality levels such as 2.5 are permitted. Using this option allows the encoder to select an appropriate bitrate based on your desired quality level.
(the libvorbisenc library uses one tenth of that - between -0.1 and 1)

That means -q -1 would be valid though. I don't know why the original tools author choose to limit to the range [0-10]. It might be because he didn't know that negative values between [-1 and 0] are valid for oggenc. Or it might be that he wanted to ensure a minimum of quality in the result. Another difference is that our tool only accepts integer values (so -q 2.5 is not possible).

Is there a reason why you asked the question? Is it something you wanted to do? I am inclined to change the command line tool to accept values between -1 and 10 (since CLI is mainly used by power users who are supposed to know what they are doing), but I think the GUI should be kept as it is.
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

criezy wrote: Is there a reason why you asked the question? Is it something you wanted to do?
I just want the files as small as possible and I knew that ogg had a -1 setting which creates small, OK quality files.

I need this for my PSP... always low on free memory stick space ^^.

And Oggenc using aoTuVb5.7 can use "-q -2" btw.
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

I would use mp3 instead of Vorbis for the PSP. The PSP Port of ScummVM uses the MediaEngine of the PSP. So MP3 can be decoded faster and without CPU utilization. Vorbis-Files are smaller but if you try mp3 with --vbr and -q 0 you maybe can get very small files with good qulity too. I am using ScummVM on my PSP too.

But as I already mentioned by opening this Thread .bun files are cut-off with mp3.

Games that are not using .bun files are working flawlessly.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I have just made the change to accept -q -1 for vorbis compression. This will be in the next version (whenever that is).