Adventure games in Chinese?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

FatDragon

Adventure games in Chinese?

Post by FatDragon »

I realize that this is broader than simply ScummVM, but I'm curious as to whether anyone knows any adventure games released in Chinese (preferably Mandarin and/or Simplified characters). A fellow student of Chinese posed the question on a language-learning site, and it got me thinking, as I've been dusting off a lot of old games lately (and seeking out others I've never played, GOG is amazing!), that this could be a great way to practice Chinese and have a great time while doing so, especially if I can play Chinese translations of games I've played before, since that would allow for improved comprehension.

On a related note, I've noticed that there are language choices for a lot of games in ScummVM - does this mean there are translations for these games, or simply that ScummVM is ready to support them if they crop up?
garrythefish

Post by garrythefish »

Well, hope this helps:

http://lucasarts.vintagegaming.org/inde ... ountryid=9

As illustrated in the above link, these are the Chinese LucasArts releases, which quite frankly, I know nothing about. And these titles aren't documentated in the ScummVM (MD5) version list (zn-cn), and the same could be said for any other title that might exist, translated in-game into Chinese (the titles could as well have only a Chinese cover and the game in English, I dunno, some research is in order).

http://www.scummvm.org/documentation/md5sums/

And the fan translations, well there are probably tons of that around, and they should be runnable in ScummVM, and yes, the project really has the "Chinese (China)" language option for games (zn-cn). A bit of googling would be in order. :)

As for other adventure titles, you have a great range titles, both official translations and fanmade. A fanmade translation of the best adventure games ever released, Grim Fandango, also exists, in Simplified Chinese ("Translations" section of the page):

http://www.grim-fandango.com/downloads.php

Cheers :)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

There are at least 2 games supported by ScummVM which are in Chinese. One is Curse of Monkey Island, and another one is Inherit the Earth, although I never managed to decipher Chinese decoding for the latter.

Eugene
petr

Post by petr »

There are a lot of official Chinese releases, but only a few are in Chinese.

Chinese release, English language:
- Monkey Island 1 (5.25")
- Monkey Island 2 (5.25")
- Indiana Jones 3 (5.25")
- Indiana Jones 4 (5.25")
- Day of the Tentacle (5.25")
- Sam & Max (5.25")
- The Dig
- Full Throttle
- Monkey Island 3
- Monkey Island 4
- Grim Fandango

Chinese release, Chinese language:
- The Dig
- Monkey Island 3
- Monkey island 4

BTW, I have a Chinese version of The Dig but it's part of my video games collection and I can't donate it. But I'm willing to help with adding support of this game to ScummVM.
FatDragon

Post by FatDragon »

Thanks for the answers, I'll look into those. Anyone know who distributed the official Chinese releases of The Dig, CoMI and EfMI?
petr

Post by petr »

Older games (floppy releases) were distributed by Softworld, The Dig, Full Throttle, Monkey Island 3 and Grim Fandango by Unalis and Monkey Island 4 by Electronic Arts Taiwan.
zansibal

Post by zansibal »

I am also curious about doing this to improve my Chinese. Did the Monkey3 release have Chinese voices, or was it just the subtitles that were translated?

Is there any way the get hold of a copy of these games (buying or whatever)? I can't find much at all when I google.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

zansibal wrote:I am also curious about doing this to improve my Chinese. Did the Monkey3 release have Chinese voices, or was it just the subtitles that were translated?
Just subtitles.
thetechmagnet

Post by thetechmagnet »

very cool man...

that is something that i will have? to check out at your site.