Looking for adventure games with a good dose of humor

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rock_chick

Looking for adventure games with a good dose of humor

Post by rock_chick »

I especially enjoy adventure games that have a good amount of humor in them as long as they aren't too silly and are not designed for kids and/or teenagers. However it's harder these days to find ones like this, especially as the non indie adventure game industry is not what it once was.

In the vein of the BS and Runaway series I suppose but ones made between the mid 90s to mid last decade preferably(not generally newer games than that because my computer is not the most up to date, unless they have lower game specs than many released after that time). Here's a list of one's I'm already aware of, just mentioning them so I might save anyone the time of suggesting them.

Broken Sword series
Runaway series
Sam and Max games
Grim Fandango
Discworld Noir(the first 2 aren't my thing)

Also just for a PC and not indie games like those made with AGS, mostly because I'm looking for a certain graphic detail that most don't have.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

The most obvious response is Monkey Island (the first 3 games). Some others you might like:

Maniac Mansion + Day of the Tentacle
The Leisure Suit Larry games (a bit lowbrow, but still fun)
Simon the Sorcerer 1+2
Space Quest (6 games total)
The Gobli(ii)ns games.

Most of these work or will eventually be working with ScummVM. There are some AGS games with a pretty fantastic level of graphical detail, they are worth checking out.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Don't forget Discworld :)
Sam and Max
Day of the Tentacle
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

rock_chick explicitly said that (s)he doesn't like Discworld 1&2... :) And while I am sure the Gobli(ii)ns games can be fun, they do seem rather silly to me. As for Monkey Island, well, that one is also quite a bit silly, but in a way that is not childish, IMO, and I know lots of adults who love it, even without having played it as kids.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Sorry missed that :P
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

I suppose Tex Murphy series is worth mentioning here. However they are not supported by ScummVM, but that wasn't a requirement, as I understood.
rock_chick

Post by rock_chick »

Thanks for the ideas! I have until recently forgotten about the Tex Murphy games, I have DOSBox so that's not an issue. Will need to look into some of those games I don't know about, the Monkey Island games aren't really my thing and I have played most of Leisure Suit Larry games(should have mentioned both those games earlier) and liked them, the graphics and controls at least got better as the series went on.

BTW even though I've only played one of the newer LSL games they really are a poor comparison to the original ones.
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

You should play Curse of monkey island. Best Lucas Arts adventure ever. :D
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Uhm... rock_chick wrote "the Monkey Island games aren't really my thing"... S:)
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

I can't think of any games that aren't mentioned yet AND are humorous AND have hi-rez grfx.

I would recommend Kyrandia 3. It's low-rez but hilarious if you like sarcastic humor.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

fingolfin wrote:Uhm... rock_chick wrote "the Monkey Island games aren't really my thing"... S:)
I suppose that statement is so unbelievable that people just parse it out.
rock_chick

Post by rock_chick »

KuroShiro wrote:
fingolfin wrote:Uhm... rock_chick wrote "the Monkey Island games aren't really my thing"... S:)
I suppose that statement is so unbelievable that people just parse it out.
That's about the only time someone's refer to something I've said as unbelievable, usually I just bore them senseless! :lol:

I found this link
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/s ... ight=humor
that gives some great info on such games, dunno if it's appropriate to post here but it may help anyone who sees this post and is looking for the same thing I posted about.

2 games it lists that I'm following up are The Space Bar and So Blonde.

Also gonna check out Tex Murphy Under The Killing Moon but have seen from some research that it can sometimes be a bit of a problem to play even using DOSBox but that was years ago.
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

rock_chick wrote: Also gonna check out Tex Murphy Under The Killing Moon but have seen from some research that it can sometimes be a bit of a problem to play even using DOSBox but that was years ago.
Just obtain it from gog.com and everything will be OK.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I would like to second the Space Quest series. Especially Space Quest 6 which is brilliant. The earliest ones aren't quite as funny. Space Quest 5 and Space Quest 4 are also very good, but Space Quest 6 still wins in my opinion.

Appart from Space Quest 1 & 2 these don't work in ScummVM fully yet, but if you go on here:

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updat ... llers.html

You can install them in windows using DOSBox with no problems. An alternative is downloading them from Steam where you can get the complete set as a single pack and it will work on Windows.
Morden

Post by Morden »

fingolfin wrote:(...) while I am sure the Gobli(ii)ns games can be fun, they do seem rather silly to me.
The series represents a certain brand of humor. It's mostly the actions of the goblins that are supposed to be funny, not the witty dialogues. People complain about how Gobliiins 4 turned out, but I think it's dead on in the humor department. The character animations are hilarious!