ScummVM on Palm webOS

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Logdog82

ScummVM on Palm webOS

Post by Logdog82 »

Hi @ll,
are there any plans to support webOS? Palm released the PDK (Plug-in Development Kit) for native development (C / C++) so it wouldn't be much work to port ScummVM to webOS I think.
Are there any plans about it?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

This has been discussed on this forum before, you may want to search for that discussion. I think there are some unofficial ports around, you may want to google for that.

Now, as to the port: This is not how it works, neither for ports or games. We are not a company run by a manager proclaiming "hey folks, let's try to develop a new market by adding support for game X and device Y! We'll hire 3 developers to do that!"

Rather, we are a group of volunteers who work on stuff because they have fun doing that.
Now, adding support for a new target system is usually not that difficult with ScummVM, as our code is fairly well-written and portable. However, a port still is *work*, and it requires somebody to perform that work; a person capable of doing the work, and *interested* in doing that work; usually, that interest is also strongly correlated to whether said persons possess one of the target devices (i.e. in this case a phone running WebOS).

So far, apparently nobody fit that description. Maybe you are the one who will do it, since based on your statements you must be qualified, as you apparently already studied the PDK and the ScummVM source code in enough detail that it must be easy to port it :).
Logdog82

Post by Logdog82 »

Hi,
thanks for that information. In fact I am a developer :wink: But I am only familiar with .NET (C#) and JavaScript. C and C++ are absolutely foreign languages for me.

I thought that a ScummVM port is not a lot of work because many game studios who have developed iPhone games have ported the native games to the PDK of webOS in a couple of hours (this is the official statement from some game studios). So I thought that a ScummVM port will also be done in a couple of hours.

Of course I understand that you are not a company. My post should only be a question and not be an order for you :) Maybe there are some C / C++ programers out there which would have fun to port ScummVM to webOS. There is still an unofficial port of it but it's not supported and not developed any more. I would do it if I could program C or C++.

PS: Sorry I found the post which are you talking about here. Sorry for double posting
PPS: E-Mail notification is not working on this forum
PPPS: Grüße aus der Nachbarschaft :D Bist ja auch Deutscher seh ich gerade.
Einhorn

Post by Einhorn »

there's a quite good homebrew version (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/scummvm).

i wish they would make it an official release :)
warpdesign

Post by warpdesign »

Why isn't it an official release ?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Because "they", the people who made the WebOS port (or rather, ports) are not working together with us, the ScummVM team.