Simon the Sorcerer 3D in 2D

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longcat

Simon the Sorcerer 3D in 2D

Post by Longcat »

Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Looks very nice :)

They actually started with the 3rd Simon game in 2D first, but no publisher wanted to deal with 2D games, so they had to change focus into 3D.

Shame it's 1.5 years old, though. I wonder if it's still alive or dead?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

yeah, long time since theres been any update and the forums doesn't seem to work. Shame though, it was looking pretty good
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Also, I wish they wouldn't use ags_SnowRain20.dll, since the AGS Linux port doesn't support plugins.
salasisalik

Post by salasisalik »

Does anyone know how one can get in touch with those guys? I'd really like to know what happened to this magnificent project. IMHO Simon 3D's tale was very enjoyable but the graphics outright horrible (don't know how the people got the general idea in the 2000s that when it's boxy and bleak, one only has to call it 3d in order to make people love it and think it's a major upgrade).

Thanks.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

salasisalik wrote:(don't know how the people got the general idea in the 2000s that when it's boxy and bleak, one only has to call it 3d in order to make people love it and think it's a major upgrade).
I hear it didn't do much for the Jaws franchise either.

Apparently, Simon the Sorcerer 3 was originally conceived as a 2D game with 3D characters, akin to Grim Fandango, but the publisher insisted that it had to be full 3D. I vaguely remember seeing some artwork (I don't remember if it was concept art, or a finished background) from the 2D version, but I don't remember where. According to this post it used to be on the game's original page, but that page no longer seems to exist. I don't know if it's archived anywhere.

This interview also talks a little about the 2D version, without going into much detail.

Edit: The link to the interview is dead now, alas.
Last edited by eriktorbjorn on Thu May 27, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Too bad the video on youtube was deleted.

It's true there are a demo of Simon the Sorcerer 3 in 2D somewhere?
jannar85

Post by jannar85 »

The Madventurer wrote:Too bad the video on youtube was deleted.

It's true there are a demo of Simon the Sorcerer 3 in 2D somewhere?
http://www.beepworld.de/memberdateien/m ... simtology/

There you go. Still working.
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

Is there a chance that someone will add the "demo" to ScummmVM? It'd still be cool anyways. 8)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

"Adding" it would require the same as adding any other game requires: Reverse engineering the code etc. etc. -- Since this is only a demo, it would make no sense to invest such a major effort, I'd say.
Morden

Post by Morden »

What fingolfin said, plus AGS will not be supported by ScummVM any time soon. I'd go ahead and say never, but that's so ... final. One never knows. We've had "add AGS support" discussions here earlier and ScummVM developers did comment on the subject several times. Here's one example.
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Edit: The link to the interview is dead now, alas.
Here's an archived version of the link via the Wayback Machine.