Simon the Sorcerer – Remembering my First Point and Click

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JamesWoodcock

Simon the Sorcerer – Remembering my First Point and Click

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Hi everybody...

I have recently written an article regarding Simon the Sorcerer, my love for the game and the music enhancement project for ScummVM.

I hope you enjoy the read :)

> Simon the Sorcerer – Remembering my First Point and Click Adventure

PS: I am still working on the music for Beneath A Steel Sky and Touche :)
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

I'll give your article a read a bit later as Simon the Sorcerer was also my first adventure game. :)

I remember me and my brother watching a friend play it, when we were round his house every Tuesday evening, years ago (1993-1995?). We were mesmerized by its graphics - the fact that the game's world felt alive thanks to it's rich colours, animation, sound effects, and funny characters. The fact you could wander around everywhere in the game's fantasy setting and pick things up and use them etc.

It wasn't until a few years later that we picked up both Simon 1 & 2 from PC World for our own (I miss the days when game's were available in big boxes... :(). I even remember how terrible the games ran on our first Windows computer - Windows 95 with a 600MB hard drive. :lol:

Classic game. *bliss*
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Ahhh you skipped the wonders of the DOS prompt then :)

cd/simon

:D
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

glidem wrote:Ahhh you skipped the wonders of the DOS prompt then :)

cd/simon

Ah, yeah, I tried running it on my 386SX 16 Mhz (upgraded to whopping 4 MB of Ram from the initial 512kb). My dad bought a new, doublespeed CD Rom drive and a sound card and Simon the Sorcerer was supposed to be our first CD Rom Talkie game. Just we couldn't get it to run initally, got the dreaded "UMB, linked" error (I still have horrors of trying everything).
I think it was a week until I (about 14 or 15 back then) finally managed to find the mistake - it was something with the EMS driver so I made a boot disk and finally managed to play the game. And while it wasn't my first adventure game (that honour goes to Indy 3 and then Monkey Island 2) it was my very first talkie game and completely blew me away. Still until today, with the 2 before mentioned games it holds a very special place in my heart :)

And to think, how easy ScummVM made it to run those games :)
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

glidem wrote:Ahhh you skipped the wonders of the DOS prompt then :)

cd/simon

Heh, yeah. I've always had/played the 'talkie' CD-ROM version. :)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Acorn Archimedes A3010 - That thing brings back memories. I was at a college doing further adult education at the time (93-94) and they had lots of different types of computers.

My main memory is lock-ins with my mentor and some friends playing Doom over LAN but I remember he had the first Simon game and I caught him playing it one day on the Acorn. I remember him now saying it's quite good but it's not Monkey Island.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Thanks for all your comments folks :)

Don't forget to post a comment on the actual article though ;) I love hearing all your own memories.

Yes I remember the dreaded boot disk, what a pain that lark was assigning the sound card and CD-ROM drivers etc.

*hugs ScummVM