Le Fetiche Maya free from DotEmu

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Morden

Le Fetiche Maya free from DotEmu

Post by Morden »

Silmarils' Le Fetiche Maya is available for free for the next two days [the offer will expire on 2010.05.04]. You can grab it from DotEmu's website, and in case anyone was wondering, the game is ran through DOSBox.

- > Le Fetiche Maya @ DotEmu
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I've not heard of this site. As soon as I looked at it I thought 'more like GOG emu'!
Anyway thanks for bringing it to my attention. I done a search for Maya on GOG which was negative so at least it's not a complete clone of that site.
Morden

Post by Morden »

The best thing they have in their store is the Silmarils Collection. No other website sells these, and the price is fair.

They also have some games which can be played online, like Street Fighter II, which is powered by Gametap.

Also, they seem to be using a "custom" version of DOSBox - whatever that implies. That's the answer I got when I asked about the DOSBox on Twitter.
vasyl

Post by vasyl »

Both Direct2Drive and GamersGate have the Silmarils Collection.
Morden

Post by Morden »

That they do. My bad. I thought this was a DotEmu exclusive [or a time exclusive, at least]. There's still one good reason to get the collection from DotEmu. Unlike Direct2Drive and GamersGate, they don't add DRM to their games. I don't know how the DRM issue is handled in this particular case, but classic games released by GamersGate used to be protected with FrontLine ProActive [StarForce]. Direct2Drive uses a solution by SecuROM.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Both D2D and GG claim their download versions to be DRM-free though.
Morden

Post by Morden »

Both D2D and GG claim their download versions to be DRM-free though.
Whoops! Sorry for that. I just assumed they distribute it on their terms and, as usual, add some kind of DRM. I noticed that both on D2D and GG, the Silmarils Collection's publisher is DotEmu. So I guess now the only reason to get it from them is to pay the original publisher without any shared profits.

P.S. - I'm not sure about D2D, but GamersGate must have changed their DRM policy. I just checked, and the Gobliiins 4 is supposedly DRM free. Few months back, a forum member reported some problems with activation of the same game he bought via GamersGate. Back then, the game was using the aforementioned ProActive solution. Have digital distribution services finally come to their senses?