fotaq sound problems

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JCDenton

fotaq sound problems

Post by JCDenton »

Hi guys

I just loaded up the free version of fotaq from the scummvm download page (version 1.1) I installed the latest stable release of scummvm (april 2010) to run it on but I am still having a few sound issues.

First I keep getting stuck midi channels, is this normal or should I be looking at drivers or accelleration here?

Also the speech sequences between Joe and Ian (Ian being stuck in the cage above the firepit in the cave complex on sloth island) have huge great long gaps after each character says his piece, during which the character is still animating speech. Again is this a sound accelleration issue?

Are these problems being experienced by anybody else or is it something local to me I have to work on?

edit: the slow speech seems to be restricted to this room only, other rooms seem to be just fine. Still got stuck midi channels tho...

edit: also found huge delays in the location when using the tyranno horn to scare away the nasty dinosaur, and on the final fight scene. It seems that multiple-sound channel effects (explosions/drips etc.) are contributing to the delays. Unticking the speaker icon and leaving the speech bubble and subtitles ticked cleared the problem.

My question now is could this be a summvm engine problem or a local driver or hardware issue?

Help appreciated.
Thx
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: fotaq sound problems

Post by eriktorbjorn »

JCDenton wrote: First I keep getting stuck midi channels, is this normal or should I be looking at drivers or accelleration here?
I know there was a problem where it didn't stop a song before playing another one. But that should have been fixed in 1.1.0.
JCDenton

Post by JCDenton »

Thx. I only seem to get stuck channels (or conflicting channels) on the Sloth Island levels for some reason. Usually a really high-pitched note which is continuous.

Incidentally I updated my audio drivers and the huge speech delays are now reduced to lengthy delays. All of the delays in the locations mentioned disappear completely when I disable the sound effects (speaker icon) in the options and leave the speech-only activated, so I am assuming that the sound effects (explosions, water dripping etc.) are causing multi-channel problems somewhere along the line.

If it is of any help to you I am using on-board VIA HD Audio which unfortunately has no hardware buffering. Maybe this is the problem, I should get a better sound card perhaps?

Hope this helps.