Puppy Linux '.PET'?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Who'sThere

Puppy Linux '.PET'?

Post by Who'sThere »

Hi. I was hoping someone here would know how to compile the Linux source into a 'pet' installer for the Puppy distros.

Or is it simply a matter of the way the files are packaged?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Apparently you need to compile in the same way as on any other Linux distro and then package it using the PET tools.
There is more info on http://www.puppylinux.com/development/createpet.htm
Who'sThere

Post by Who'sThere »

So there are no generic Linux binaries I could use with the PET tools to make an installer?

Unfortunately, I'm in no way qualified to compile stuff.

Thanks for the linkz though.
Last edited by Who'sThere on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

It's actually pretty easy to compile in Linux. The readme tells you what libraries you need. And you need the basic build tools, but getting those is no different from installing any software for your distro, and you may already have all that anyway.

But creating an installer package, that's harder. Some time ago I looked at what I would have to do to make RPM packages for Fedora, and just walked away from the whole idea.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

If the readme is not enough info for you, I have typed up compile instructions for Linux in this thread;
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=5507
Who'sThere

Post by Who'sThere »

Unfortunately, I have no way of connecting to the internet through Linux, as there are no drivers for my modem.

I appreciate the instructions, but rebooting to Windows each time to find the dependencies sounds tiresome. ;)
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

You're on a dialup connection? Ouch! Then the problem isn't so much a lack of drivers as simply needing drivers. What you almost certainly have is a softmodem. That is, a modem with very little on-board hardware for doing it's own job, and so it relies on the computer's processor and memory and needs drivers to work.

There are hardware modems if you look around carefully enough. Check out xmodem.org and/or just google and you may find one.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MeddlingMonk wrote:You're on a dialup connection?
Could be a cable modem.
Who'sThere

Post by Who'sThere »

You're on a dialup connection?
Nope. It's one of those USB modems, but not a standard external one.

It's a cellular USB modem. The portable kind you can find through Verizon, AT&T, etc...

Basically, it is a cellphone without the phone components, with about the same performance as using your cellphone as a modem.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

There is a way to deal with this.
Get VirtualBox and install your Linux distro in that.
VBox can be made to run a virtual NAT, so your guest shares the ip adress of the host.
Who'sThere

Post by Who'sThere »

Could someone possibly compile the lastest stable version as a pet?

For various technical reasons, I'm unable to do this myself.
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

If you want a Puppy Linux distro purely for emulation, you should think about replacing it with "Puppy Arcade": http://scottjarvis.com/page105.htm
Plays Amiga (500, 1000, 2000), Apple (68k, 128k, 512k, SE, MacOS, Plus), Atari (ST, 800, 800XL, 130XE, 5200), Amstrad (CPC, Plus, VEB), Arcades, Colecovision, Commodore (64, 128, VIC20, PET), GameBoys (GB, GBC, GBA), GameGear, Genesis/MegaDrive, MasterSystem, MS DOS, N64, NeoGeo, NeoGeo CD, NES/Famicom, PC Engine/TurboGrafix, PSX, ScummVM, SNES and ZX Spectrum (16k, 48k, 128k, +2, +2A, +3) and more!
System requirements: Pentium 166mhz, 128MB RAM, CD-ROM drive.
Based on TurboPup Xtreme, Puppy 4.2, kernel 2.6.25.16
Minimum requirements will not play all emulators at full-speed. :wink:

He used ScummVM 1.0.0 for this image, which can be found separately here: http://ppm.scottjarvis.com/
Who'sThere

Post by Who'sThere »

There were already PET versions for 1.0.0 out there, but thanks anyways. I'm looking for the latest stable, or SVN version.