Adventure games wanted

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Psiclops

Adventure games wanted

Post by Psiclops »

Atlantis: The Lost Tales (Cryo Interactive 1997)
Toonstruck (Virgin Interactive 1996)
X-Files The Game (Fox Interactive 1998)

Is there a possibility those adventure games will work on ScummVM?
Collector

Post by Collector »

http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/

For any non-supported DOS game use DOSBox.
Psiclops

Post by Psiclops »

I know about DosBox, but it's use is complex. ScummVM is easier and more quick to use.

That's why I'm asking about any future compatibility of those games on ScummVM.

Any idea if they will work in a future version of ScummVM?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Psiclops wrote: Any idea if they will work in a future version of ScummVM?
Who can say? They're not listed on ScummVM's Engines Wiki page, which does have a list of game engines in various stages of development which may or may see the light of day at some point. Of course, not everyone announce their projects in advance, and occasionally someone will appear out of the blue with a working game engine, much to everyone else's surprise.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

This is actually covered by our FAQ.
Laskov

Post by Laskov »

two year after...

Toonstruck is supported

But i wait for a support of X-Files The Game (Fox Interactive 1998) a great adventure game with 7 cd
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Laskov wrote:But i wait for a support of X-Files The Game (Fox Interactive 1998) a great adventure game with 7 cd
I remember playing this in 1999 (borrowed). If memory serves, "great" may be an overstatement.
I bought one today from a local thrift store (boxed and no scratches!)
Julien
ScummVM Developer

Post by Julien »

If I remember correctly, it's also very much hardcoded :(
manimac

Fable

Post by manimac »

Fable 1996 - produced by Simbiosis Interactive and published by Telstar Electronic Studios Ltd.

Read about the game on this forum posted some years ago. Will it be supported in the future?
Ingsoc

Re: Fable

Post by Ingsoc »

manimac wrote:Fable 1996 - produced by Simbiosis Interactive and published by Telstar Electronic Studios Ltd.

Read about the game on this forum posted some years ago. Will it be supported in the future?
My copy of Fable is still working smoothly on Windows XP, so I would say it's not a top priority.
manimac

Post by manimac »

Ingsoc wrote: My copy of Fable is still working smoothly on Windows XP, so I would say it's not a top priority.
And it works on windows7, mac, linux and others??

I would point out that one of the advantages of Scummvm, is the ability to play old adventure games on other operating systems. :lol:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

manimac wrote: And it works on windows7, mac, linux and others??

I would point out that one of the advantages of Scummvm, is the ability to play old adventure games on other operating systems. :lol:
I'm not disagreeing with you, but you could probably get it to run in DOSBox. At least, I was able to when I tried it. There were glitches, but from what I've read that was true when running it under real DOS as well. It may have been one of those games where the game itself was compatible with DOSBox, but the installer wasn't. I don't remember. Personally I didn't think it was a particularly good game, but tastes differ. Nice graphics, though.

Whether or not ScummVM will ever support it... that's impossible to answer, really. It's definitely within ScummVM's scope, but I'm not aware of anyone working on it. Such things aren't always announced in advance, of course. Someone could show up tomorrow, out of the blue, with a working engine for it, or it might never happen. I wouldn't hold my breath.