Intro and quick (probably stupid) question

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Hux

Intro and quick (probably stupid) question

Post by Hux »

Hi all, my name's Hux. I'm originally from New Hampshire, but live in San Francisco now. Part of the reason I live in San Francisco is because I always read about it in the Lucasarts newsletters, and it just seemed like a really cool city to live in.

Anyway, I grew up with the Lucasarts Adventure games in the '90's. Mt first was Sam and Max, and then Full Throttle, but I eventually played them all (except for Loom and Maniac Mansion). I found this site because I was trying to describe the games to my girlfriend and wanted to know more about them to describe them better. Love the idea of being able to play all these old games again. But I do have a few questions that the answer is probably right somewhere right on the main site that I just can't find.

1) While I loved the adventure games, I got pretty much everything Lucasarts released between about 1994 and 1998. So how does one play the non-SCUMM games, like TIE Fighter (my favorite flight simulator), Afterlife (my favorite Sim game), and Rebela Assault and Dark Forces?

2) I asked my parents to send me all my old computer games discs, but my old computer was a windows PC and I now use a Mac. Will I still be able to play these games with the PC disc, or am I going to have to rebuy them all in a Mac version?

And finally, just so it's not a simple boring q and A thread. What's for favorite Lucasarts game?

Thanks in advance, and have a good day/night.

Best,
Hux
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

1) try dosbox (or a mac version called boxer) for running the dos games. i don't know if any of the games you're referring to are windows versions, if so that gets slightly trickier, but there are ways to do it if you have an intel mac.

2) yes, scummvm will play the pc versions of the adventure games on your mac, and boxer will hopefully play the others.

ps: welcome!
Hux

Post by Hux »

Thanks, Dave (or do you prefer Hippy?). I've got dosbox, and am eagerly awaiting getting my old games again (should be here tomorrow or the day after)

Best,
Hux