Monkey Island Mac on PC

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tim20

Monkey Island Mac on PC

Post by Tim20 »

Hi

Could someone please help me with getting the Mac version of Monkey Island 1 to work under Windows with ScummVM? I'm at a bit of a loss.

The ScummVM readme mentions downloading HFVExplorer in order to read/copy files on a Mac floppy disk under Windows, but that program appears to have been discontinued. Instead, I've downloaded a program called TransMac for that task and copied the files...

Monkey #1
Monkey #2
Monkey #3

...and put them into a folder on my hard drive. Unfortunately, ScummVM isn't finding the game when I select the appropriate path. I understand that I need to somehow obtain or extract more data from these files, but I'm not sure how to do it, or how to get the extract_scumm_mac.exe to work.

Any ideas?
clone2727
Retired

Re: Monkey Island Mac on PC

Post by clone2727 »

Tim20 wrote:The ScummVM readme mentions downloading HFVExplorer in order to read/copy files on a Mac floppy disk under Windows, but that program appears to have been discontinued.
HFVExplorer still works perfectly for the task.
Tim20 wrote:Instead, I've downloaded a program called TransMac for that task and copied the files...

Monkey #1
Monkey #2
Monkey #3
You should have monkey.000, monkey.001, etc. files on the floppy. However, it could be that the files need to be installed. I do not have this version.
Tim20 wrote:...and put them into a folder on my hard drive. Unfortunately, ScummVM isn't finding the game when I select the appropriate path. I understand that I need to somehow obtain or extract more data from these files, but I'm not sure how to do it, or how to get the extract_scumm_mac.exe to work.
extract_scumm_mac is only for games that come in a bundle (Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis CD and on).
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

clone2727 wrote:HFVExplorer still works perfectly for the task.
I guess I need to look a bit more thoroughly for it. When I checked earlier on, all the sites that claimed to have it, came up with a 'Could not be found' error. :?
You should have monkey.000, monkey.001, etc. files on the floppy. However, it could be that the files need to be installed. I do not have this version.
No, those files don't seem to be present. So it would suggest that those files need to be installed. But that's just it, I'm not sure how.
extract_scumm_mac is only for games that come in a bundle (Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis CD and on).
Oh. I'll have to forget that method then.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Tim20 wrote:
clone2727 wrote:HFVExplorer still works perfectly for the task.
I guess I need to look a bit more thoroughly for it. When I checked earlier on, all the sites that claimed to have it, came up with a 'Could not be found' error. :?
Download this. Make sure you follow the directions in the README carefully.
Tim20 wrote:
clone2727 wrote:You should have monkey.000, monkey.001, etc. files on the floppy. However, it could be that the files need to be installed. I do not have this version.
No, those files don't seem to be present. So it would suggest that those files need to be installed. But that's just it, I'm not sure how.
You could use a tool such as Basilisk II combined with the freely downloadable Mac OS 7.
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

clone2727 wrote:Download this. Make sure you follow the directions in the README carefully.
Aha, there it is! Thanks. :)
You could use a tool such as Basilisk II combined with the freely downloadable Mac OS 7.
Those would seem like an ideal means of installing/extracting the files, but in order for them to work, it looks like you need a copy of MacOS or a Macintosh ROM image. Unfortunately, I don't own a single copy of a MacOS. I assumed there'd be some way of getting/installing the files in Windows without using a Mac in any shape or form. :oops:
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Tim20 wrote:
clone2727 wrote:You could use a tool such as Basilisk II combined with the freely downloadable Mac OS 7.
Those would seem like an ideal means of installing/extracting the files, but in order for them to work, it looks like you need a copy of MacOS or a Macintosh ROM image. Unfortunately, I don't own a single copy of a MacOS. I assumed there'd be some way of getting/installing the files in Windows without using a Mac in any shape or form. :oops:
The second link contains *legal* free versions of Mac OS and many even contain the ROM.
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

clone2727 wrote:The second link contains *legal* free versions of Mac OS and many even contain the ROM.
Gotcha.

I'm not sure, and I can't find, the correct link to install Basilisk II for Windows. And where it says: "Current snapshots and prebuilt binaries for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows are available from Gwenolé Beauchesne's site" - the link doesn't work.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Tim20 wrote:I'm not sure, and I can't find, the correct link to install Basilisk II for Windows. And where it says: "Current snapshots and prebuilt binaries for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows are available from Gwenolé Beauchesne's site" - the link doesn't work.
Here you go :wink:
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Thanks. :) But the problem still hasn't been resolved yet. :( Whenever I double click on BasiliskII.exe, it comes up with a warning saying: "The CD-ROM driver file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\cdenable.sys is missing". Not only that, but now that I've downloaded all 19 parts to MacOS System 7.5 - version 7.5.3, the readme says I need to double click on "the first part to mount the compressed disk image on your desktop". Nothing happens when I do this, and I've no idea how I'm supposed to go about doing this. :?

This is turning out to be a lot more complicated than I thought.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Tim20 wrote:Thanks. :) But the problem still hasn't been resolved yet. :( Whenever I double click on BasiliskII.exe, it comes up with a warning saying: "The CD-ROM driver file C:\Windows\system32\drivers\cdenable.sys is missing". Not only that, but now that I've downloaded all 19 parts to MacOS System 7.5 - version 7.5.3, the readme says I need to double click on "the first part to mount the compressed disk image on your desktop". Nothing happens when I do this, and I've no idea how I'm supposed to go about doing this. :?
cdenable.sys comes with HFVExplorer if it doesn't come with Basilisk II (though it should). When you get Basilisk II running, try the System 7.0 disk image which should be bootable directly.

EDIT: Just looked again, and I forgot that the ROM image available from Apple requires Mac OS to extract... so this won't work. Sorry about that. Is there any chance you could use HFVExplorer and give me a list of the files?
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

You mean screenshots of the floppy disk contents? Sure.

Disk 1:

Disk 2:

Disk 3:

Sorry they're not very clear.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Hm, yeah. Definitely some sort of installer.

Unfortunately, I can't be of much more help. You'll have to find some way to extract the files on an original Mac (or find a way to get an emulator working using a legally extracted ROM + OS).
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Dang.

Well, I appreciate all your help anyway.

Thanks
Hansi

Post by Hansi »

Those look like .HQX self extracting archives. Don't know a Windows app that will open that, but it must be out there.
Morden

Post by Morden »

Hansi wrote:Those look like .HQX self extracting archives. Don't know a Windows app that will open that, but it must be out there.
There is a number of Windows programs that should open *.hqx archives. There's ZipZag, ALZip and a free version of Stuffit [although I'm not sure what's been taken out of the free version, and you still have to register some sort of an account to download it].