Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Delu

Post by Delu »

I'd like to see Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender, is that one possible? I love that game :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Nebula ... der_Bender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWRMTcsOg9c

EDIT: sry just saw it'S beiing worked on,.. yay :)
http://dm-notes.blogspot.com/2010/03/ma ... track.html

awesome :)
Delu

Post by Delu »

Oh and related to this I just found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4v_hYbQfxQ

In the video comments someone states to have worked on that game back then, if true maybe he and "Paul Lahaise from the Rex team" could help with the source code or something!? If these are the guys I imagine they might be happy to help out if contacted.

"
mgruson:

Thanks for the flashback! God it was fun working on this...
-Matt Gruson
"

Froggie666:

Oh wow, are you the ''Produced and Designed by'' guy? :-O

mgruson:

Yeah, that was a different lifetime though! I was pretty surprised to see a full play-through here. I was over at a friends house the other day (Paul Lahaise from the Rex team) and we watched your YouTube Rex videos on his living room big screen via TiVo -- great flashbacks. Thanks for taking the time!

-Matt
"

http://www.youtube.com/user/mgruson

hope this is of any help :)

edit: just checked the game credits and they mention Paul Lahaise for Applications Programming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb2U3QDvIVw
Stryfe

Post by Stryfe »

I'd like to see someone interested in adding support for two NES games that'd fit the scope of ScummVM:
Shadowgate & Deja Vu.

And one that'd technically be possibly, but not in the right genre (point-and-click RPG):
Diablo
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Stryfe wrote:I'd like to see someone interested in adding support for two NES games that'd fit the scope of ScummVM:
Shadowgate & Deja Vu.
They were released for several platforms, actually. As usual, Wikipedia has some information about that. I never actually played them on the NES, but judging by the screenshots I've seen, that's the second ugliest-looking version of them. Of course, tastes differ. (Though surely most people would agree that the low-res black/white/cyan/magenta DOS versions are the single ugliest ones?)
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Stryfe wrote:I'd like to see someone interested in adding support for two NES games that'd fit the scope of ScummVM:
Shadowgate & Deja Vu.
They were released for several platforms, actually.
Yeah, my father had the Amiga versions and a friend of mine had the NES versions. The NES had noticeably worse graphics, less text but also added music while the original Mac version and the computer ports have no music at all.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Freddo wrote:while the original Mac version and the computer ports have no music at all.
If memory serves me, Uninvited, Shadowgate and Deja Vu II played music on the "About" screen, and when you won the game, but - as you say - not during the game. (Unless you count a few sound effects, like "Winchester Cathedral" in Uninvited.)

Edit: I just noticed a YouTube video which appears (I haven't watched the whole thing yet) to show a few different versions of some of the games. There was also another one showing the "About" screen for Shadowgate, though I don't remember the music sounding quite that shrill.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Stryfe wrote: And one that'd technically be possibly, but not in the right genre (point-and-click RPG):
Diablo
Diablo is not fit for ScummVM or Residual, but there just MIGHT be a ScummVM-like reimplementation of it.

I have done some preliminary work fully reverse engineering all the level texture files.
What you see here is the town art, red by my test app end rendered as OpenGL textures (with a serial number stamped) by libSDL.
The shot is from a The Gimp file where I have been puzzling stuff together a bit.

NO PROMISES!
I cant guarantee I will have the time and dedication to ever finish completely reversing the game, but I just might... ;)
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Ok some updates on Diablo. 2 steps forward, one step back ;)
I can batch load 99% of all textures directly from the .mpq archives.

Loading all the textures in 32bit of one hero all at once gives you a ridiculous 2.5GB. To keep the memory use within bounds I changed stuff so that a background thread will be able to load the proper texture pack when you change gear without interrupting the game.

Also I chunk textures up in smaller bits and store them recursively, throwing away the completely empty parts. Surprisingly this made stuff simpler instead of harder, AND more memory efficient.
Here you can see my "chunky textures" in action.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

bobdevis wrote:Ok some updates on Diablo. 2 steps forward, one step back ;)
I can batch load 99% of all textures directly from the .mpq archives.
this is all great and good to hear, but please create your own thread for this, and not 'hijack' this thread.
MapleSyrup

Post by MapleSyrup »

Are you making your reimplementation with ScummVM? It would be great to see your engine as part of ScummVM-Misc.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

What's the point in having it in ScummVM; an adventure VM? There's nothing stopping it from having it's own launcher.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

MusicallyInspired wrote:What's the point in having it in ScummVM; an adventure VM?
The more games, the merrier.. One engine to rule them all ;)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

ScummVM isn't one engine, though... :)

And no, a Diablo engine would never make it in ScummVM.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

MapleSyrup wrote:
Are you making your reimplementation with ScummVM? It would be great to see your engine as part of ScummVM-Misc.
Nop. It's its own executable and the compile dependencies should be limited to libSDL (with OpenGL), libbz2 and zlib. In other words, very portable.
I haven't looked at smacker video yet. That may bring some extra dependencies, but I am not too worried since I can look at how ScummVM handeles that.
fingolfin wrote:ScummVM isn't one engine, though... :)
And no, a Diablo engine would never make it in ScummVM.
I had a quick chat with someone from Residual and my project is not welcome there either, but this is probably for the better because it looks like I need the freedom of my own executable to deal with some fundamental problems I am having.
Iago

Post by Iago »

Gotta say Willy Beamish is something I've been aching to play on my iPhone for some time so that would be top of my fantasy list of supported games. It does work in DosBox though.

I'd also love to see Myst (although I think it sorta works) as well as Riven and Myst 3. Maybe The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition?

I know I'm getting greedy, but it's okay to dream so... The Last Express, The Journeyman Project - Legacy of Time, Virtual Springfield, Playtoons, Leisre Suit Larry - Love for Sail.

And of course, Toonstruck.

Time to wake up.