Interplay's Star Trek

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks for filling that in.

I love that screenshot of the red Folker triplane on Moby from the Trelane episode.
I'll have to hunt down a copy now.
LooZee

Re: Interplay's Star Trek

Post by LooZee »

Sorry for bringing up this thread again after such a long time ;)

I found some time this week to put together some specifications of Star Trek's file formats, so I can share them with others. XentaxWiki had some information that needed additions, but I think I'm going to create an own website for the project soon.

It would already be possible to take the graphics, sounds and texts and rebuild the episodes in some adventure game creator or custom engine, but I realized that's not what I (as a dev) want. I want to understand how the game works and what Edelstein & Patel were smoking :) Implementing this into ScummVM would be a simple task then.

There is a lot of hardcoded stuff in Star Trek that has to be ported, which is just a time problem, not something I can't do. I first disassembled Judgment Rites 6 years ago, unbelievable. Btw, DataRescue's IDA 5 fails to load the old project, so Star Trek is still disassembled and commented in IDA 4.

I'll keep you updated. If someone's interested to help, I would be glad to share my efforts.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

LooZee wrote:Sorry for bringing up this thread again after such a long time ;)

I found some time this week to put together some specifications of Star Trek's file formats, so I can share them with others. XentaxWiki had some information that needed additions, but I think I'm going to create an own website for the project soon.

It would already be possible to take the graphics, sounds and texts and rebuild the episodes in some adventure game creator or custom engine, but I realized that's not what I (as a dev) want. I want to understand how the game works and what Edelstein & Patel were smoking :) Implementing this into ScummVM would be a simple task then.

There is a lot of hardcoded stuff in Star Trek that has to be ported, which is just a time problem, not something I can't do. I first disassembled Judgment Rites 6 years ago, unbelievable. Btw, DataRescue's IDA 5 fails to load the old project, so Star Trek is still disassembled and commented in IDA 4.

I'll keep you updated. If someone's interested to help, I would be glad to share my efforts.
I already began working on a very basic engine for Star Trek 25th and Judgment Rites, but stopped beyond basic graphics and MIDI support. Let me know if you want access to it. Hopefully, we could work on one project instead of multiple.
LooZee

Post by LooZee »

clone2727 wrote:I already began working on a very basic engine for Star Trek 25th and Judgment Rites, but stopped beyond basic graphics and MIDI support. Let me know if you want access to it. Hopefully, we could work on one project instead of multiple.
I found out about your project yesterday, downloaded the sources and looked if I can find something new in there. The font file format... it's so simple! I always thought it would be one big bitmap for all chars. And I took your LZSS code and adapted it to my codebase. I was using the "original" function ported from Judgment Rites, not even knowing it's LZSS, which works very well and uses less memory. It still has to be decided which version is "better".

Graphics, animations (and animation scripts), menus and several other things are 99% explored, sound files are standard anyway (VOC and MIDI). I have written code that correctly plays the intro of Judgment Rites and shows the bridge with looping animations of the crew. This is where the game would start... Now it's all about the game logic. Where and how does an episode start? Which files are loaded? What do those RDF files hide from me?

The very last thing I'm going to think about is the pseudo 3D engine they're using in space combat... the nice thing about Judgment Rites is that those arcade sequences can be skipped :)

Although I have already put a lot of work into this, there is not much to add to the scummvm-startrek project. Of course, you could implement my old demo as a teaser, but believe me - after watching the intro 1000 times, you don't want to see the rest of the game anymore ;)

Well, I'm here, I'm working on it, and although the code is not yet "open", I'm open to team work in this matter.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

LooZee wrote:I found out about your project yesterday, downloaded the sources and looked if I can find something new in there. The font file format... it's so simple! I always thought it would be one big bitmap for all chars. And I took your LZSS code and adapted it to my codebase. I was using the "original" function ported from Judgment Rites, not even knowing it's LZSS, which works very well and uses less memory. It still has to be decided which version is "better".
The one problem with the font format is that it is only present in the DOS versions of the games (not Amiga or Mac).

The LZSS code is loosely based on the Groovie version. One day, I hope to base it on the faster and more-memory efficient Mohawk version.
LooZee wrote:Graphics, animations (and animation scripts), menus and several other things are 99% explored, sound files are standard anyway (VOC and MIDI). I have written code that correctly plays the intro of Judgment Rites and shows the bridge with looping animations of the crew. This is where the game would start... Now it's all about the game logic. Where and how does an episode start? Which files are loaded? What do those RDF files hide from me?
I don't know.
LooZee wrote:The very last thing I'm going to think about is the pseudo 3D engine they're using in space combat... the nice thing about Judgment Rites is that those arcade sequences can be skipped :)
Yeah, the 3D would probably be the last thing implemented.
LooZee wrote:Although I have already put a lot of work into this, there is not much to add to the scummvm-startrek project. Of course, you could implement my old demo as a teaser, but believe me - after watching the intro 1000 times, you don't want to see the rest of the game anymore ;)

Well, I'm here, I'm working on it, and although the code is not yet "open", I'm open to team work in this matter.
Not exactly sure what you want to do here. Is there anything your codebase has that the public one doesn't? If so, could we merge that into the public one? Do you want access rights to the code?
LooZee

Post by LooZee »

clone2727 wrote:The one problem with the font format is that it is only present in the DOS versions of the games (not Amiga or Mac).
Hardcoding 128 characters shouldn't be a problem. But I guess there are much more differences.
clone2727 wrote:Not exactly sure what you want to do here. Is there anything your codebase has that the public one doesn't? If so, could we merge that into the public one? Do you want access rights to the code?
You're probably right. I'm talking too much.

I'm not a ScummVM developer. I came here because this is the place where people are interested in porting old adventure games. And where people have experience with that. I'll be glad to help with the ScummVM implementation once it's in an implementable state. Until then, myself could use some help.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

LooZee wrote:Hardcoding 128 characters shouldn't be a problem. But I guess there are much more differences.
Not really, each one uses a different font format.
LooZee wrote:I'm not a ScummVM developer. I came here because this is the place where people are interested in porting old adventure games. And where people have experience with that. I'll be glad to help with the ScummVM implementation once it's in an implementable state. Until then, myself could use some help.
I don't really understand your logic here. Why wouldn't you want to work on a version in ScummVM? Not being a ScummVM developer doesn't mean anything, anyone can work on an engine for ScummVM and then ask for inclusion into the main project.
SeeDub

Post by SeeDub »

Sorry about digging up an old thread. To begin I am not a programmer, but a radio guy. I began a project some time ago of collecting the audio from 25th anniversary, and creating a audio program with it. the files were a simple .voc that i can open with Audition. Judgement Rites appear to compress the audio into .vcc files. using watto's Game Extractor I could open the .vcc, but not use any file. The question being is there a better tool to extract the audio, and possibly convert it to .wav (for editing simplicity)?
thank you for any help.

PS I think these games would be great skinned in something like KOTOR engine.
jyhash

.VCC files?

Post by jyhash »

I'm in the same boat as SeeDub (just 3 years later). I'm trying to decompile the .VCC files, but running into roadblocks. I can view the files, but I don't know what they need to be renamed to or opened in to be viable file formats. Can either clone2727 or the OP tell me how to extract and convert those to .VOC? Appreciated.

Apologies for the thread necromancy,

JYH
JeremyLC

Re: .VCC files?

Post by JeremyLC »

jyhash wrote:I'm in the same boat as SeeDub (just 3 years later). I'm trying to decompile the .VCC files, but running into roadblocks. I can view the files, but I don't know what they need to be renamed to or opened in to be viable file formats. Can either clone2727 or the OP tell me how to extract and convert those to .VOC? Appreciated.

Apologies for the thread necromancy,

JYH
More thread necromancy!

This may be useful, though.

First, the VCC format:

0x00..0x07 : Header, "VOCFILES"
0x08..0x0B : Index offset, in bytes (where the filename/size index starts), LSB first
0x0C..0x0F : File count, LSB first

Filename / Size record, these start at the offset given in 0x08..0x0B

0x00..0x07 : Filename
0x08..0x0B : File offset within VCC file. LSB First.
0x0C..0x0F : File size, in bytes. LSB first.

Second, I wrote a C program to read a VCC file and extract the VOC/ACMP files within it:

http://pastebin.com/yFv7sbV2

compiles with gcc. This isn't meant to be beautiful code, just functional.

Here is as much information as is known about the Interplay ACMP format of the audio files stored within the VCC file:

http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?tit ... rplay_ACMP

Note, however, that some of the files in the VCC files are just ordinary Creative VOC files.
JeremyLC

Post by JeremyLC »

A little more on the ACMP/VC file stuff. If you have the ST:JR CD you'll find on it a DOS program called makevcc.exe that will pack/compress a VOC file (or set of them) and produce a VCC file. If you're better with audio compression than I am (a very low bar to reach :P) you could pack a known file and compare the output of makevcc for clues.
andwan0

Post by andwan0 »

Keep going guys. Keep up the good work!

Am sure there's a huge demand for Star Trek adventure games on ScummVM
count23

Post by count23 »

Apologies for reviving a necropost again. But i have some questions.

i've been working on the 25th anniversary and JR libraries for potentially use in Scumm (Or Unity with a newer engine) and i was wondering if anyone had any luck identifying the .r3s/.r3d and .shp file formats?

I believe they're related to the spaceship models, .shp are DOS shape files, but they dont contain anymore than blank panes or basic spheres. I think that the r3s content are photographic or image types but it's hard to reverse engineer without knowing where they came from.

Does anyone have any idea what they could be? are they raster 3D sprites or something of that nature? Does anyone know which program?

Additionally, regarding the music, i noticed that the SCUMM VM repo has a reference to audio playing, but it does not appear to includ the MIDI componant, i've found the instrument patches for MT32 and AD (the .mt and .ad files) as well as .adv driver files. are the music elements part of any of these files or are they still somewhere in the archive where i haven't found them?