LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

not that i've noticed - good news, cheers for the heads up!
the best bit is that it says that voices will be availabe in classic mode as well as new-fangled mode.
Buddha
ScummVM Developer

Post by Buddha »

Sweet! The best game in the series gets remade. Yay! \o/
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Wow! I've been hoping for this for a long time! I have never played LeChuck's Revenge. :D

One thing I notice is that the website doesn't say iPhone despite the fact that the first was released on the iPhone.

I wonder if they will remake The Curse of Monkey Island in this style. It would be great if they did, but the graphics are pretty good already.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Hope Lucasarts do some cheap MI+MI2 bundle on Steam on next Steam holiday sale or something, I don't really want to pay much for games I already own, even if they are ~20 years newer remakes.
Graxer wrote:I wonder if they will remake The Curse of Monkey Island in this style. It would be great if they did, but the graphics are pretty good already.
I wouldn't care if they did. The main reason I'm interested in these remakes is because they add voices, and MI3 already have voices.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Ah yes, great! Now all the MI games will have a talkie version.
Graxer wrote: I wonder if they will remake The Curse of Monkey Island in this style. It would be great if they did, but the graphics are pretty good already.
They should leave Curse(3) alone and redo Escape(4) IMHO.
In a perfect world LA would roll out Curse in a ScummVM shell and remake Escape instead. (Yeah I know, dream on...)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

bobdevis wrote:They should leave Curse(3) alone and redo Escape(4) IMHO.
Indeed. A point & click version running in SCUMM would be great.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
bobdevis wrote:They should leave Curse(3) alone and redo Escape(4) IMHO.
Indeed. A point & click version running in SCUMM would be great.
I disagree. I wouldn't want EFMI to be made into a SCUMM version and/or a point and click version.

While the original control scheme was quite horrible, point and click isn't necessarily the way to go. I don't think point and click would work in EFMI. Maybe something more along the lines of what TellTale has done with Tales of Monkey Island...

Also, a CMI remake *could* be good if they just got Bill Tiller to make hi-resolution backgrounds :wink:
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I didn't like the Guybrush they designed for the Secret remake but I'm OK with this one.
TheTrout

Post by TheTrout »

If they still had the original art assets to scan in at higher resolutions, I'd worship a CMI special edition.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

If they're gonna redo CMI, the only thing they should do is, of course, higher resolution, and add all the missing scenes that were scraped back then because they didn't have the disc space (like a missing scene between part 5 and 6)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Mataku wrote:higher resolution
Which of course includes the music. It should be 44100 Hz stereo using an adequate codec and bitrate.
and add all the missing scenes that were scraped back then because they didn't have the disc space
Same thing with MI1. They used the original game files and didn't even change a script, so I doubt they would for CMI. Besides that, I doubt that those scenes were completely done to begin with as I only have seen concept arts and no screenshots or anything (unlike the Spiffy close-up), so they most likely would have to draw, code, and record them from scratch.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

And yes, they changed the hair. ;-)
Freddo wrote:Hope Lucasarts do some cheap MI+MI2 bundle on Steam on next Steam holiday sale or something, I don't really want to pay much for games I already own, even if they are ~20 years newer remakes
And I hope they make a retail version. Steam stinks.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

One thing that didn't get mentioned was iMuse. How are they going to replace the dynamic MIDI tracks in Woodtick, the Voodoo swamp, etc? I suppose they'll go for a simple crossfade... or worse, static tracks, Amiga-style.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Same thing with MI1. They used the original game files and didn't even change a script, so I doubt they would for CMI. Besides that, I doubt that those scenes were completely done to begin with as I only have seen concept arts and no screenshots or anything (unlike the Spiffy close-up), so they most likely would have to draw, code, and record them from scratch.

yeah, but budget wise, in the SE for 1 and 2 they had to spend money on recording all the speech and music. Take that out of the equation for CMI remake, since everything is already recorded (including audio for the scrapped scenes), and you have plenty of money left to do a new cutscene and some new coding.