Teen Agent: cannot save

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Cpl. Shephard

Teen Agent: cannot save

Post by Cpl. Shephard »

I downloaded the latest nightly about an hour ago to try teen agent. The problem is i can't save through the ScummVM menu. Is there a certain menu for teen agent, and if so, which button accesses it?
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

You can try the alternate menu: hold down the right trigger and press start. If there's no save there, it's an engine issue and you can ask in the main forum.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

You can try the alternate menu: hold down the right trigger and press start. If there's no save option there, it's an engine issue and you can ask in the main forum.
Ennok

Post by Ennok »

I did notice that in some games you can't save using the scummvm menu. The regular menu or the alternate. But you can use the save feature in the game and the scummvm menu will let you load these. So it's possible to save just not how we're used to normally doing it.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Saving from the ScummVM menu is an extra feature per game engine. In some games, it is possible, in others, it isn't, as saving/loading is done by game scripts, and hence it's not possible to do it manually via the engine. I'm not sure what's the situation with Teen Agent
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I'd like to counter a claim I have heard many engine authors make: That it is impossible to do add custom save/load when an engine does saving via scripts. This is not quite correct -- it is "only" much harder to implement loading/saving from the "Global Main Menu". At least as long as you want to use saves compatible with the usual saves created, which of course is what you really want.

But in many games, it is possible to determine which scripts are responsible for save/load handling and then to hack them to be able to implement the desired feature. A counter argument I often hear is that there are multiple variants of a game and that it would be impossible to support all variants. Again, I disagree; of course, if you want to hard code offsets etc., it would be a lot of work, and whenever a new variant of a game pops up, we (the ScummVM developer's) would have to work again. However, there are other techniques, e.g. based on bytecode patterns, and I am pretty sure we could implement full save/load support in *all* games and engines.

The work required to do so, however, is complicated and difficult, and it may simply not worth the effort.
Cpl. Shephard

Post by Cpl. Shephard »

Ennok wrote:I did notice that in some games you can't save using the scummvm menu. The regular menu or the alternate. But you can use the save feature in the game and the scummvm menu will let you load these. So it's possible to save just not how we're used to normally doing it.
Yeah i figured as much, but i cannot find the menu in this game.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Cpl. Shephard wrote: Yeah i figured as much, but i cannot find the menu in this game.
Pressing F5 should work. That feature appears to have been added on December 7, so it should be available in the version you downloaded. (If that doesn't work, there may be some "F lock" or "F mode" key or something like that on your keyboard to make the function keys work as function keys, and not something else.)
Cpl. Shephard

Post by Cpl. Shephard »

Maybe i should restate the issue. I can get into the ScummVM menu, i can access the load/save menus, but i cannot get it to save the file. I have sufficient space on my memory stick, and the LED indicating mem activity blinks, but when i go into the load menu, there are no files.

eriktorbjorn, pressing F5 does work, it brings me to the standard ScummVM menu, but that was never the issue. Thanks for trying to help, though :D
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Shephard, I tested the game and it seems to save and load fine. Could you please state the PSP model you're using and also try again with the latest Scummvm Subversion build?
Goro_san

Post by Goro_san »

i'm having exactly the same problem
menu comes up, i can go up to entering save name but it does not save :cry:

latest (today) bulid
PSP2004 TA-88v2
5.50 GEN-D3
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

OK you guys are right. I must have imagined it working properly, because it clearly isn't. I'll check it out.
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Not sure why it happens yet, but as a current workaround, disable the modern scummvm theme (you can rename scummmodern.zip scummmodern.zip_ or just delete it). For some reason that enables the load dialog to see the savefiles (also notice that the first video only shows when the modern theme is disabled). I'm trying to figure out why this is.
Goro_san

Post by Goro_san »

that works THX ^^
Cpl. Shephard

Post by Cpl. Shephard »

Bluddy wrote:Not sure why it happens yet, but as a current workaround, disable the modern scummvm theme (you can rename scummmodern.zip scummmodern.zip_ or just delete it). For some reason that enables the load dialog to see the savefiles (also notice that the first video only shows when the modern theme is disabled). I'm trying to figure out why this is.
Well, i can see the intro, but if this works, you've saved my night :D Thanks!

EDIT
Well, still doesn't work. Or well, the problem changes some. The read/write led blinks a bit longer,
and it seems to make a save now, but when i try to load it the problem reverts to how i described it earlier, and the save dissapears again.
I have the first model of PSP, i think it's called 1004 or something, running 4.01 M33-2 firmware.