The Legend of Kyrandia: Testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

It would be nice to add some version numbers to the data files needed by ScummVM, so we would know on first sight wether we should redownload.

Thanks

Joachim
clem

Post by clem »

in case you're building from CVS, just also download the CVS module engine-data and set the path to that - that way you always have the current datafile

clem
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

clem wrote:in case you're building from CVS, just also download the CVS module engine-data and set the path to that - that way you always have the current datafile

clem
Err, right, yeah. :?: :roll: :?:

Could you explain this in words I understand?

What I meant was adding a version to the zip or whatever packe on the downloads site, so watching for these numbers will immediately tell if a new version is available without looking anywhere else.....
clem

Post by clem »

ok, what I said is basically that I wrote a script which downloads updates to scummvm and also checks for an updated kyra.dat, then downloads anything which has changed

clem
dirtyhairy

Post by dirtyhairy »

I played kyrandia to the caves yesterday evening and was impressed - great work, in a couple of months from 'plays intro without glitches' to 'fully playable'. The only issues I encountered so far:

-some minor graphic glitches
-the intro is much slower than in the original (I checked with dosbox)
-it would be very nice to be able to load a game anywhere, playing the caves is even more pain in the ass than in the original if you have to wait for poor Brandon to be devoured and then have to watch the intro halfways again until being able to load... :)
-some sound glitches, the music sometimes stops with a hanging note just after starting
dirtyhairy

Post by dirtyhairy »

Just a note: I have played with seqplayer.coo, and changing WaitTicks so it only passes a fifth of the tick value to the engine makes the intro and other scripted sequences run much more like the original (on my machine).
Arne.F

Post by Arne.F »

I have the German Floppy Version of Kyrandia
it has this MD5 (f0b276781f47c130f423ec9679fe9ed9)

I use also a real Roland MT32 and at the moment the MT32 was not initialized by Scummvm. There are a bunch of SYSEX data in the INTRO.XMI
the MT32 needs this to have some custom instrument patches like the explosions or the Put and Drop Item sounds.

Once initalised by the original game or by a recorded Sysex File the sounds seems to be ok except some glitches between the room changes.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Sound support is still experimental.

Ok the md5 will be added soon.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Arne: Thanks! Can you check which version of Kyra1 this is? It should be printed out to the console when you start it in DosBox.
Arne.F

Post by Arne.F »

Sorry for the late respone but i have only at weekend a bit time to play.
LordHoto wrote:Sound support is still experimental.
I know. I have posted this to help find and hopefully fix the glitches. The team does very good and very fast work. Thx.

@Vinterstum: It is Version 1.8
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

We know allready what is wrong with sound, for the mt-32 emulator there are some special midi commands on startup missing and for adlib sound we need to load those .ADL file but the fileformat is unknown atm.
Vevelt

Mac-Snapshots?

Post by Vevelt »

I just wondered if there will be some new Snapshot-Builds for Mac OSX... i would really appreciate testing Kyrandia on my iMac... :D
mld

Post by mld »

Hi Bastian,
no build tools or no svn to checkout the sources for your mac? *grin* If it's the latter say a word :)

mld/uade team

btw. kudos to the people working on the Kyra engine! It's great!:)
Nemroth

Post by Nemroth »

Hi

I have a CD-Version with english speech and german/french/english subtitles.
Sometimes the subtitle are displayed for just nearly 1 second so that it's impossibly to read them.
That would be quite OK, but what is really depressing:
When I'm trying to go out of the cave with the fire-beerys back to the wood again, the game crashes always :(
Don't know if this is important, but when i'm entering the cave there is already an graphic glitch, so that it looks like the ice-wall is there again. But there are other glitches, when I'm leaving my grandfathers home for example, where the game doesn't crashes...
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

See rule 3a), also one simple question do you try to skip the speech? (with a simple mouse click). A savegame would be usefull to try to reproduce it over here.
Don't know if this is important, but when i'm entering the cave there is already an graphic glitch,
Do you mean the falling water drop which isn't restored correctly, if it's not a screenshot would be nice to see what you mean.