I need help

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jackal Threepwood

I need help

Post by Jackal Threepwood »

I feel stupid asking this, but I'm really a beginner.

My goal is to make a scummvm cd for my ps2 but every time i do it the ps2 refuses to read the disc in every style

I'm going to tell you every detail in my problem..

I have Monkey Island 2

inside the folder of Monkey Island 2 are these files..
ADLIB.IMS
MONKEY2
MONKEY2.000
MONKEY2.001
ROL_330.IMS
ROL_332.IMS
ROL_334.IMS
ROL_336.IMS

1-I unzip my scummvm zip file (newest version)
2-I put the mi2 files in a folder and i name it MONKEY2
3-I put MONKEY2 in the unzipped scummvm folder
3-I click the make iso and it creates a scummvm.BIN file

Now this is where I could be wrong. I have tried copying the scummvm folder with the monkey island 2 folder inside it and the scummvm.bin all into the cd and it didn't work. I also tried copying only the scummvm.bin file and it still didn't work.

I'm sorry if my question is really stupid, but I really have no background on making these.

Please help me. :)
peace
kraft

Post by kraft »

you could try buying the game
Jackal Threepwood

I do have the game. I just want it to work on my PS2.
kraft

Post by kraft »

you might have the game but did you buy it? the brought version comes with the files needed to run on scummvm
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

I have tried copying the scummvm folder with the monkey island 2 folder inside it and the scummvm.bin all into the cd and it didn't work. I also tried copying only the scummvm.bin file and it still didn't work
What exactly do you mean by that? You aren't supposed to burn a cd with the bin as a normal file on it, the bin is a cd image.
If you use nero, just click Recorder->burn image and select the cue file.
Jackal Threepwood

lavosspawn: I don't have nero, but I burned my other ps2 emus (pgen, imbnes, snesstation) with the standard windows wizard. Scummvm is quite different as it seems.

So the bin file is the cd image. What should I do with it? you said I'm not supposed to burn as a normal file.

What I figured from your message was that I should burn the cue file. I have scummvm.cue, but I'm guessing I'm not supposed to burn it alone. what should I do to burn scummvm ps2 with the standard windows writing wizard?

I'm sorry if I sound stupid (I know I do) but like I said this is my first time making a scummvm/iso.

Any help is appreciated.
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

Well, the bin+cue thing is made to be used with a cd recording program that supports images, apparently the windows xp recording thing can't handle them.
You can just download a demo version of Nero or a similar tool to use them...

Or you can ignore the make_iso and bin+cue thing completely and try to create a CD manually using the windows recording wizard. If that worked for you for those other homebrew programs, it'll probably work for scummvm as well.
You'll need to add these files... (they are all in the 0.8.2 release .zip)
  • SYSTEM.CNF
  • SCUMMVM.ELF
  • IOMANX.IRX
  • FILEXIO.IRX
  • CODYVDFS.IRX
  • SJPCM.IRX
  • USBD.IRX
  • USB_MASS.IRX
  • PS2MOUSE.IRX
  • RPCKBD.IRX
  • PS2DEV9.IRX
  • PS2ATAD.IRX
  • PS2HDD.IRX
  • PS2FS.IRX
  • POWEROFF.IRX
Plus any games that you want on the CD.
You should only use 8+3 filenames.

I've never tried this before and didn't even know that windows has a cd recording wizard. Good luck :)
Jackal Threepwood

Thanks I'll try that. I'll be getting nero too and see what happens.

btw what do you mean by 8+3 filenames? :D
Jackal Threepwood

I burned the thing with nero, and it boots, but it doesn't show the games and gives me a this message "unable to read RTC time, rtc: 7" I put Monkey Island 1 and 2 each in their own directories and it still didn't work.
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

"unable to read RTC time" doesn't mean too much, either your ps2's battery is dead or you didn't configure the time in the ps2 bios at all. Anyway, that's not important for using ScummVM.

So, what do you mean by "it still didn't work"? What happens when you click "add game", does it show anything at all on the CD?
Jackal Threepwood

It doesn't show the game folders or anything when I click on 'add game'. All I see is DVD drive.

I have a SOMI and a MONKEY ISLAND 2 on the cd but it doesn't read them. Each game is in it's own folder too.
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

So, er, and when you double click "DVD drive", all you get is an empty window?
Jackal Threepwood

I figured it out. Thanks a lot, Lavosspawn. This port is really, really amazing. The games run well and I'm having a blast.

One problem I'm having is while playing the demo for COMI the cutscenes and music are not there, and of course the cannon thingy. and does this port support the original (sony, legal) ps2 hdd? if it does then how am i supposed to copy the game into it?

Thanks, thanks and thanks again, Lavosspawn. :D fantastic job.
kaysow

Post by kaysow »

COMI is not supported. it's too heavy for the ps2 to play.
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

I've only tried the full version of ComI on the PS2, not sure why the demo lacks videos and sound...

Your Sony HDD should work. The most common attempt to copy game data to the HDD is probably LaunchELF's ftp server. Be aware that it's not too simple or intuitive.