Which games would you like to be supported on the future?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tony

Post by Tony »

I'd really like to see DUNE (Cryo's game) and Prisoner of Ice supported especially on ds
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Broken Sword DC ;-)
polape

Post by polape »

Laburinth - the first game by lucasfilm games
and also the neverhood
Paolo86

Post by Paolo86 »

The neverhood kicks ass!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MusicallyInspired wrote: What? Is the whole game in higher res? As in the graphic resources? Or is it just rendered in higher res and only things like the cursor and stuff are higher res?
I was curious too, so I bought the cheapest copy of Return to Zork for Mac that I could find on eBay.

There are 423 *.MMV files, 15 *.LMV files and one *.PMV file. I don't know if these are movie files, but at a very quick glance they appear to contain the same kinds (or at least similarly named) chunks as the *.PMV files of the DOS version. Except my DOS version only had 84 of those.

There's an RTZ.DAT that is 592 KB, and an RTZ.PRJ file that's 46 MB. Not that far from the rtzcd.red (270 KB) and rtzcd.prj (42 MB) of my DOS version. (There is supposedly a DOS version with an rtzcd.dat. Maybe that one's even closer to the Mac version in this respect.)

The DOS version had CD audio tracks. If there are any on the Mac CD, my computer doesn't know how to find them.

So at a very wild and unsubstantiated guess, I'd say the cutscenes are the main difference. Even discounting that, there's apparently more to it than just adding a detection entry for it. (I tried just for fun, at it crashed immediately.)
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote: What? Is the whole game in higher res? As in the graphic resources? Or is it just rendered in higher res and only things like the cursor and stuff are higher res?
I was curious too, so I bought the cheapest copy of Return to Zork for Mac that I could find on eBay.

There are 423 *.MMV files, 15 *.LMV files and one *.PMV file. I don't know if these are movie files, but at a very quick glance they appear to contain the same kinds (or at least similarly named) chunks as the *.PMV files of the DOS version. Except my DOS version only had 84 of those.

There's an RTZ.DAT that is 592 KB, and an RTZ.PRJ file that's 46 MB. Not that far from the rtzcd.red (270 KB) and rtzcd.prj (42 MB) of my DOS version. (There is supposedly a DOS version with an rtzcd.dat. Maybe that one's even closer to the Mac version in this respect.)

The DOS version had CD audio tracks. If there are any on the Mac CD, my computer doesn't know how to find them.

So at a very wild and unsubstantiated guess, I'd say the cutscenes are the main difference. Even discounting that, there's apparently more to it than just adding a detection entry for it. (I tried just for fun, at it crashed immediately.)
You're right, there are more differences:

- The database file is in Big Endian order instead of LE of the DOS version.
- The properties in the database are treated differently
- The one PMV file is the intro video, same as the DOS version; the rest of the videos have the same chunks but a different codec, it seems. Playing the videos produces lots of blocks over the screen, if it doesn't segfault.
- There's another Mac version of the game with MPEG-2 videos (I have the same as you, it seems).
- Except for the PMV video, the MMV/LMV videos are at 640x480.

I took a look into it a couple of months ago, but wasn't able to get the scripts running too far (due to the property difference mentioned above). Someone else looked into it before me, but they didn't get much further. johndoe probably has more info.

The .red file contains the compressed .dat file.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

I can confirm what clone2727 said.
I also bought a RtZ Mac version some time ago which has MPEG-2 videos (that imo look worse than the PMVs). It also has a 640x480 resolution. Some backgrounds seem to be just upscaled from the 320x200 images so they look quite bad while other screens look better.
As clone2727 mentioned, there was a guy who wanted to help with the Mac version but he disapperead. Luckily he sent me some code. Also, the Mac version images use a slightly different compression - or, to be more precise, the DOS version images simply don't use a variant of the algorithm while the Mac version does. I've extended the decompression code to handle these images.
However, I haven't done any further research into the Mac version than that.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

A legendary game :
Captain Blood (on Atari ST and pc cd)
I think Philippe Ulrich, Michel Rho and Didier Bouchon will be glad to see this game adapted on ScummVM.

And there is also The Shortgrey on Atari ST.
Mustrum

Post by Mustrum »

KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

kelvicharlie wrote:Games like dragon age and mass effect should be supported in the future.
Uh...no. Try the Bioware forums if you want ports to Mac or Linux.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

My unsurprising list:

- Around the World in 80 Days: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=53183#53183
- Scooby Doo Mysteries - http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=53183#53183

I would think Around the World in 80 Days would be easy to support, as there is no player controlled movement, and all of the puzzles take place on a single screen. Also the game is only an hour or two long.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Jon God wrote:My unsurprising list:

- Around the World in 80 Days: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=53183#53183
- Scooby Doo Mysteries - http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=53183#53183

I would think Around the World in 80 Days would be easy to support, as there is no player controlled movement, and all of the puzzles take place on a single screen. Also the game is only an hour or two long.
Define easy.. :)

EDIT: removed.
Last edited by sanguinehearts on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Come on now... breath and relax.

There is now way you can express to someone who never used a programming language how easy or hard something like a game engine is.
It doesn't matter in the end though. Something gets supported when someone finds the time and means to do it. No one needs to ever apologize for not doing it and no one needs to take this thread seriously anyway.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Well, although people saying something should be "easy to implement" usually just elicits a sad chuckle from me, from what I remember of the game, Around the World in 80 Days is hardly even interactive, and doesn't have much logic to speak of. Of course, you'll still need someone who wants to do it.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Post by Serious Callers Only »

Is the Last Express going to be included in the main tree? I notice it is going forward lately, but as a side project.

Anyway i've been meaning to ask about Dune (1). Is the game scripted or is the logic implemented in the executable?

I have the cd version.