ScummVM Translations

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Paolo86

ScummVM Translations

Post by Paolo86 »

Have you ever thought about translating ScummVM in other languages? I could translate it into Italian if you like.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Yes, there have been discussions in the past about this. But before translating ScummVM into other languages we need to implement support for translations in the ScummVM application. Some work has been done on this but it was never finalized. If and when translation support is implemented in ScummVM then the team will probably ask the community for help on the translations themselves (and your help will be welcome then).
Paolo86

Post by Paolo86 »

Thanks for the clarification I'll be glad to help when the time comes! :)
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Most of the work could be done if there are different .txt files which contain the words. But I think, we had this discussion already.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Just putting words into .txt files solves nothing. The major task is writing code which is able to load translated messages from a source (e.g. .txt files), then adapt all the other code to not use hardcoded messages but rather use the messages loaded in step one. On top of that, one should write code which extracts all the message from the source code in the first place, and puts them into a source file, so that translators can translate them.

Anyway, yes, it's clear what has to be done in the general sense. Although I would strongly disagree that the "most work" is putting stuff into .txt files :). Moreover, the finer points of implementing this all are where it becomes nasty, and not so trivial, as we have to take various side conditions into account.

If you are a programmer and interested in contributing to this, then take a look at these relevant patch tracker items:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=418822

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=418822
Paolo86

Post by Paolo86 »

...And here's the part where I insult myself for not being able to program anything. :roll:
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Paolo86, not being able to program is no shame at all. And doing a good translation is a hard job, for all involved parties, not just the coders, but also the translators. As such, thanks again for your translation offer! Hopefully we'll be able to come back to it one day :).
Paolo86

Post by Paolo86 »

When the tools are finalized,you know where to find me. :P