Broken Sword: The Directors Cut on iPhone Video

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

m_kiewitz wrote:
Nikioko wrote:It seems that the dying scenes have been removed.
They were removed on Wii as well.
Anyway I prefer that version a lot. The death scenes didnt really fit. It was like 95% lucasarts-like (no death) and 5% sierra-like (instant deathtraps). I don't think that they were actually censored, but were removed to make gameplay more accessible.
There were also death scenes in LucasArts games. And the death scenes in Broken Sword were never as frustrating as they were at Sierra's games. Indeed, there were just a couple of them:
- walking out of the Ubu with the manuscript
- disturbing the meeting of the Templar in Montfaucon
- at nighttime in the Crune museum
- being shot by Khan on Bull's Head
- being hit by the lion's head in the well
- gripping on the contact line of the train
- doing the wrong thing in the post waggon
- doing the wrong thing at the end when being confronted with Guido

And in same of the cases the removal is a pity since your action or your dialogue choice has no effect on the game anymore. If I lie to Khan in Syria, George will automatically say the truth afterwards. I have the feeling, I lost some control.
And on the other hand, there are puzzles that have been removed, e. g. gting the towel in Ireland, and getting past the goat is a lot easier now.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Nikioko wrote:There were also death scenes in LucasArts games. And the death scenes in Broken Sword were never as frustrating as they were at Sierra's games.
I meant games like Monkey Island series, Day of the tentacle etc. LucasArts even made fun of sierra death scenes. Of course you could die in FoA and indy3 for example - but in those games it was kinda obvious where you could die and even the point that you could die. That's what I didnt like about the original broken sword. You could die in several places almost "randomly" and those were pretty rare. I think I died about 3 times playing the original, but I didn't like that one bit. Afaik the first time I died I lost a lot of progress, because I thought that you couldn't die at all so I didn't save every minute. It was like playing day of the tentacle and getting killed around 3 hours into the game just by taking the wrong item. Getting killed in sierra games is a different matter, because you know that you need to really keep attention.
And in same of the cases the removal is a pity since your action or your dialogue choice has no effect on the game anymore. If I lie to Khan in Syria, George will automatically say the truth afterwards. I have the feeling, I lost some control.
I think they shouldn't have made it possible to choose the reply in that case.
And on the other hand, there are puzzles that have been removed, e. g. gting the towel in Ireland, and getting past the goat is a lot easier now.
The bad part about the SE is that some of the new puzzles really use bad motion control on wii. I had serious troubles with some of the puzzles because of that. Besides those issues I really liked the SE, especially the new scenes with Nico and of course the great extended ending.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

m_kiewitz wrote:. You could die in several places almost "randomly" and those were pretty rare. I think I died about 3 times playing the original, but I didn't like that one bit.
Neither of the the death scenes mentioned above seem to be very random to me. If you touch high voltage electric circuits, it is quite obvious that you will be electrocuted. If it is an electric fence like in Larry (6?), it is quite ridiculous, of course. And if a guy points a weapon at you and tells you the he wants to kill you, he most certainly will do so if you don't react to the threat.
I think they shouldn't have made it possible to choose the reply in that case.
Well, you have the choice, but it is senseless, because in the end you get the same result, because George will correct himself.
The bad part about the SE is that some of the new puzzles really use bad motion control on wii.
I played it on the iPhone and had no problems, but I heard about those issues when you have to turn wheels.
especially the new scenes with Nico and of course the great extended ending.
I would certainly have enjoyed it more if they hadn't used such a cheap comic style that doesn't fit to the old one. And unfortunately, the new Nico-centered scenes cover just the first half of the game. Why not playing her preparations of the tripod theft? Why not playing some of her and André's investigations while George is off to Spain and Syria? And the final question: was her father part of the Neo-Templars, or was he just working with Pierre for the government and had beside his friendship no connection to the Templars? I think, there was potential for some more Nico inverstigations until their departure to Scotland.
But apart from that, a playing time of 10 hours is really solid and not found in most of today's adventures.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

To those who might be interested: the German version has been released today. I don't know about other languages.