Broken Sword: The Directors Cut on iPhone Video

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JamesWoodcock

Broken Sword: The Directors Cut on iPhone Video

Post by JamesWoodcock »

I am reviewing this game and was allowed to capture some footage:

http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/?p=2376

Enjoy :)
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

It's great to see a porper video of it, and that it has the voices. I thought it would as BASS did, but I also thought that would probably make it too big for the app store. (If there is a limit)

I am really looking forward to finally playing the Director's Cut! I really hope this leads to Broken Sword 2!
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

James, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed your Wolfenstein video.
Ive just bought Wolfenstein and am looking forward to playing it.

As for Broken Sword. It really does play well on the iPhone. :)
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Both Wolfenstein 3D and Broken Sword are excellent on the iPhone :)

Thanks for watching my videos :)
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

This is now available on the app store! :D
zorbid

Post by zorbid »

Joost Peeters is credited in the introduction :-)

Hats off, dude!
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

It looks nice though the new comic style doesn't fit to the old game. And there are two more mechanical puzzles in the beginning. But nicely done, especially the controls if I compare it to Monkey Island...
Fully localized versions will follow; I hope I won't have to buy them again. And there ist still some issue concerning the choice of the language.
But all in all a good job.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

On the iPhone, maybe more so than the Wii version, the comic style works really well for the size of the screen I personally believe but each to their own :).
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Well, but they used a new Marvel comic-like style and mixed it up with the old European (not to say franco-belgian, since Dave Gibbons is British) style which really doesn't look that well, although I like the new style in general; but it doesn't really fit to the rest of the game. Now it looks like Superman meeting Tintin.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

It seems that the dying scenes have been removed. When I try to get out of the Hotel Ubu with the manuscript, George refuses to do so because of Flap and Guido. If I try to interrupt the Templars' meeting that I overhear in Montfaucon, George says, it would be a bad idea to disturb them. When I am in the museum at nighttime, no matter what I do, the totem pole will not knock over, but I will be knocked out.
I now have the choice to either go to Spain or to Syria, so I don't know how the scene with Khan is solved, or the finale.
On the other hand, many puzzles have been extended, e. g. the search for the id card and the matchbox in Khan's trousers, or the plaster riddle in Lchmarne, as well as the tripod riddle in Montfaucon.
And there are other details that changed: the towel in Ireland is alraedy wetted with beer. I don't have to wait until the guy lifts his arm to grab the towel.
Last edited by Nikioko on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Nikioko wrote:It seems that the dying scenes have been removed.
This version shares a lot with the GBA version, I guess you've heard about Nintendo's draconian view upon certain things such as death... It was probably easier to get it through Nintendo's Seal of Approval without them. Also GBA users are largely kids and they dont like to die.

Its a port of the DS version though which also had the death scenes removed
There was a whisper that Tony would re-introduce them but some time constraints got in the way. perhaps they will be back for the PC port?
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Well, I don't anticipate the lack of death scenes, but I do anticipate to lack of electroshocking Maguire and Khan.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Ok, I finished the game. A real nice remake, though the removal of death scenes is quetionable. But the pro side is a lot bigger. And there is a beautiful Easter Egg at the end.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

They were removed on Wii as well.
Anyway I prefer that version a lot. The death scenes didnt really fit. It was like 95% lucasarts-like (no death) and 5% sierra-like (instant deathtraps). I don't think that they were actually censored, but were removed to make gameplay more accessible.
Mud

Post by Mud »

sanguinehearts wrote:
It was probably easier to get it through Nintendo's Seal of Approval without them.
I doubt it. Nintendo's views towards violence and such changed dramatically after they began to use the ESRB and other ratings systems.