Test Builds: Early access to newly supported games[obsolete]

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

agentq
ScummVM Porter

Test Builds: Early access to newly supported games[obsolete]

Post by agentq »

Hi,

I've been doing plenty of work recently to support new engines. In this thread, I'll post download links to new test builds of ScummVM DS which will let you try out new games which aren't yet part of the offical ScummVM DS distribution. This way, I get bug reports for games early to give me more time to work on fixes, and you get to play the new games!

Build I - MADE engine

This build can run the following games from Activision:

- Return to Zork
- Leather Godess of Phobos 2 (Untested)
- The Manhole (Untested)
- Rodney's Funscreen (Untested)

Support for these games should be added to the offical ScummVM DS build for version 1.1.0.

http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummvmds-i-test1.zip

Build K - Cruise Engine

This build can run 1991's classic Cruise for a Corpse from Delphine Software International. Support for these games should be added to the official ScummVM DS build for version 1.1.0. If you find any problems with this build, please discuss them in the thread linked below.

http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummvmds-k-test1.zip
Last edited by agentq on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sidni7

Good news...

Post by Sidni7 »

Its great that work is being done on the DS version. I haven't got any of these newly supported games though, so I'll be no help testing :oops:
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

For a moment I thought you might of cracked Discworld support!

I'll try to find some time and do some testing. I have Zork and Manhole CDs and I have Cruise for a Corpse as well.

Edit:
Well I got all 3 games on my flash card. (after encoding and renaming 51 tracks from Zork and The Manhole)
All 3 are running I can say that. But I didn't get much further than the first couple of scenes in each. I'll report back after some further gameplay.
I can report one thing now. The Manhole. The pointer is black. It should be red with black outline. Check it out:

http://www.scummvm.org/screenshots/made/manhole/6
chrisis

Lands of Lore

Post by chrisis »

Is there a possibility you could compile a version of the Kyrandia version with Lands of Lore enabled? I would really love that!
Crazy-S

Post by Crazy-S »

Hi just one question
could you make a special Iplayer scummVM DS version? So that everyone with an Iplayer can play Full Throttle (and other games)
(I think you could modify the 3in1 J build)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

@Crazy-S: It doesn't look like the iplayer has slot-2 RAM, it seems like it just plugs into the DS game slot. Full Throttle and The Dig require slot-2 memory and won't work without this.

@Red Breast: Untortunately a had a good go at Discworld and couldn't get it running. The original game needed 8Mb of RAM and the DS only has 4, so I think we'll need to wait for DSi homebrew for that one.

@Chrisis: I'll check up on Lands of Lore and see what I can do.
Crazy-S

Post by Crazy-S »

The Iplayer doesnt need an slot-2 ram
The Iplayer has an inbuild cpu thing (you can emulate GBA on it)[the cpu can play avi and others]
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I don't think the CPU and memory in the iplayer would be usable by ScummVM DS. In any case, development libraries have not been released, and without these nobody can code for it except for the iplayer team themselves.
Crazy-S

Post by Crazy-S »

and what is with darkchens gba emulator? Its an emu just for the Iplayer and he is not a member of the Iplayer team...
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I remember Zork being an annoying game sometimes but my latest problem has totally confused me.
I started playing the game on the DS and the Wii (I thought I'd test that as well).

I reached a point on the DS where you need a crank which I had in my inventory as I'd picked it up in the hardware store.
I checked my inventory and couldn't find it. I'm not sure what happened. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Earlier on there is a point in the game where you need to 'drop a battery' into your tele-orb. I'd done this on the DS but on the Wii it wouldn't work.
I thought I'd go from the start again with the DS version, keeping my eye on that crank, but I got to the point where you use the battery with the tele-orb again and this time it wouldn't work on the DS either.

Trying to get to the bottom of this I've played this game using ScummVM on the DS, Wii and PC (Linux and Windows). But that's not all. I've played the game on PC, again Linux and Win., using DOSBox and I still can't drop the damn battery into my tele-orb.
The most annoying thing is that I've checked various forums and can't find one post with a similar problem regarding the battery.

Anyway I'm totally stumped and zorked out. I can report the game was playing OK. I tried a little more Manhole which seemed fine as well.
InnocentBystander

Post by InnocentBystander »

The test build seems to be working fine here too. I've got an Acekard 2 running Akaio with a EZ 3-in-1, and both Zork and Manhole seem to play quite well. (Man, I remember when Return to Zork was one of the "must have" games to get to show off your brand-new CD-ROM to your friends. How times have changed.)

There was just one small thing - when trying to save a game in RTZ, the little 'display keyboard' icon didn't pop up for me.

Also, I have a suggestion: is there any chance we could have a poll to vote on what new games the DS port should support? I mean, out of ones you plausibly believe you could add support for.

Re: Lands of Lore

Post by 88988 »

chrisis wrote:Is there a possibility you could compile a version of the Kyrandia version with Lands of Lore enabled? I would really love that!
Hello this would also be much appreciated if possible
roisin

Post by roisin »

Hi, fantastic work on the ScummVM DS project and ScummVM !

I have a quick question; I encoded the audio tracks using CDex 22050hz, IMA ADPCM, Mono etc but when I copied the files to the RTZ dir on my flash-card and play the game I don't hear anything except MIDI music. Am I doing something wrong ?

The sound should play when I go near the Lighthouse, and it doesn't.

I'm using an R4 with the 3-in-1 slot2 card.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the great work !

ps: Got further in. The music seems to work at other locations like at the statues in the Underground Town. Game hangs sometimes, when entering a new scene or talking to people and I click on an emotion. but still brilliant! :P
dawn.wan

Post by dawn.wan »

Hey all,

I've been testing build 'I' with the Leather Goddesses of Phobos! 2', I dug the game from the crates and had to install from 10 floppys... i forgot how slow of a process it could be.

As of this post I have tested the intros and movement around the town, haven't dome much to progress in the game other than talk to some NPCs for testing.

What Working (so far):
Game intro is working, animations are smooth
In game sound is working and is in sync with text
In game speech working correctly
Response to clicking is timely
Screen transitions are smooth
In game menu save/restore features are working

So far so good, i'll play through the game when i have time, may be over the weekend, and let ya'll know if it plays through smoothly.
dawn.wan

Post by dawn.wan »

i just realized no midi in leather goddess of phobos 2