More Sales on Steam

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lazylazyjoe

More Sales on Steam

Post by lazylazyjoe »

You can pick up EVERY season of EVERY game that Telltale has both made on Steam for $49.99. Or just the new MI season for $25
OR
The Lucasarts Adventure pack for $2.50:
Indiana Jones 3&4, The Dig and Loom. Less than 63 cents a game!
or
MI1:SE for $5

All links are on the International House of Mojo.
http://www.mixnmojo.com/index.php
I've never used Steam before, is it like GOG or do they have some DRM?
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

They use DRM.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Could I ask what the nature of this DRM is? I was tempted by the Space Quest Collection for £2.49 (for the sake of playing all games on my machine, even if I can't use ScummVM), but am worried about StarForce.

I have all the games already, and I use ScummVM and DOSBox to play them, but Space Quest 6's voices squeak every once in a while in DOSBox and I assume Steam has a better solution. (Alternatively, does anyone know the optimal setting to use in DOSBox for Space Quest 6?)
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

I would imagine the sierra installers on sierrahelp.com would set it up optimally. I could be wrong though.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I did a search for "DRM" on that page and it was only found in the bar on the right under the category "Type". Thanks anyway!
lazylazyjoe wrote:I would imagine the sierra installers on sierrahelp.com would set it up optimally. I could be wrong though.
That's actually what I used to install the copy that has that problem.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Steam has its own DRM system. It's mostly just that you have to be logged in to Steam to be able to play the games.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

KuroShiro wrote:Steam has its own DRM system. It's mostly just that you have to be logged in to Steam to be able to play the games.
Ok, thats what I thought. The only drawback of that (for me) is that you need an internet connection and my University network blocks the use of Steam.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

DOS games don't use DRM on Steam. They simply use DOSbox.
Unfortunately, the SCUMM games are Windows ports, and other than the original CD version data from MI1SE, they don't work in ScummVM.

Also keep in mind that certain games may use their own protections in addition to Steam's DRM.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

I just bought the Lucasarts Adventure pack (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, LOOM and The Dig) for €2,24. While not compatible with ScummVM it's pretty cheap and since I've never played The Dig it's still nice :)
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Don't forget that GOG.com has a holiday sale going on as well. May be a better alternative to those real anti-DRMers.

http://www.gog.com/en/page/xmas09
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:DOS games don't use DRM on Steam. They simply use DOSbox.
Unfortunately, the SCUMM games are Windows ports, and other than the original CD version data from MI1SE, they don't work in ScummVM.
Unless you know how to extract the necessary 'boot' files from the executables, of which I have knowledge of.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

marzipan wrote:Don't forget that GOG.com has a holiday sale going on as well. May be a better alternative to those real anti-DRMers.

http://www.gog.com/en/page/xmas09
True. Unfortunately I already have most of the adventure games on sale there... some of those I even bought on gog.com when they were not on sale...
icanntspell

Post by icanntspell »

marzipan wrote:
LogicDeLuxe wrote:DOS games don't use DRM on Steam. They simply use DOSbox.
Unless you know how to extract the necessary 'boot' files from the executables, of which I have knowledge of.
Or add support for the steam versions to scummvm which is what I did. Except for the Loom sound it works like a charm.
Sooner or later, someone must realize that adding steam support only adds a reason to buy the games
derboo

Post by derboo »

Is there a way to turn off the filter with the Steam executable? And to make the sound suck less? (I've tested with Indy Atlantis)