Status of SCI games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Jonatan wrote:I think the devs have a good of what works and what doesn't. SCI isn't officially supported yet.
I've been getting the feeling lately that everyone posting about how SCI doesn't work properly aren't seeing all the other posts pointing out how it's a WIP. Maybe it's a psychological blind spot, like the one that makes tone-deaf people sing loudest in church.
Charles

Post by Charles »

I've been getting the feeling lately that everyone posting about how SCI doesn't work properly aren't seeing all the other posts pointing out how it's a WIP.
I have a feeling it's more like SCI support has been eagerly anticipated for a long time, and alot of people who don't have the neccessary technical knowledge to help but want to, are helping in the only way they can: by pointing out errors.

Of course, you're right, SCI is still very much a work in progress and this error hunting is way too premature. It's like when your boss steals a look at your unfinished project and starts making coments on problems that you are already fully aware of. Rather then being helpful, it feels more irritating than anything else. (That said, I've been guilty of mentioning the occasional SCI bug, too. :oops: )
Collector

Post by Collector »

Until SCI is ready to be tested, people that can't wait can be directed to this page.
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

Charles wrote:It's like when your boss steals a look at your unfinished project and starts making coments on problems that you are already fully aware of. Rather then being helpful, it feels more irritating than anything else.
Great analogy. Anyone feeling urge to post about SCI engine should read this post before.
JonWW

Post by JonWW »

Well whether or not the devs knew about the bugs in Quest for Glory 1 VGA I posted before I posted they have fixed the special icons menu, short-cut keys, and crashing when entering the Hero’s Tale Inn. Thank you :D

FYI: The game crashes after you enter the tower room in Erasmus' house.
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Just a question is ScummVM going to support the newer SCI (with SVGA graphics) games like: Space Quest 6, Torin's Passage, King's Quest 7, Leisure Suit Larry 7 and Quest for Glory 5):,?

im not sure if Leisure Suit Larry 7 and Quest for Glory 5 even use SCI but i think the other do.
Last edited by fischkopf on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

fischkopf wrote:Just a question is ScummVM going to support the newer SCI (with SVGA graphics) games like: Space Quest 6, Torin's Passage King's Quest 7, Leisure Suit Larry 7 and Quest for Glory 5):,?
They will eventually. They can even be detected now if you try to add them. I have already added SQ6, KQ7 and Torin's Passage to ScummVM ready for when progress begins on them. :)

EDIT: It seems that Torin's Passage begins to load on the current daily build! (Cursor appears along with the top of the logo in white)
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

Was torin's passage any good? I know it was by Al Lowe, but it looks like a stupid game. If it was any good, I figured I might as well get it now while it's still $5 on ebay. After scummvm comparability, it'll shoot up like crazy.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

lazylazyjoe wrote:Was torin's passage any good? I know it was by Al Lowe, but it looks like a stupid game. If it was any good, I figured I might as well get it now while it's still $5 on ebay. After scummvm comparability, it'll shoot up like crazy.
Its been a very long time since I've played it properly, but I remember that I loved it! I would say you should get it.

The only way to play it fully on a Windows PC at the moment (as far as I know) is by using DOSBox, or even better use the installer on sierrahelp which copies the files you need from the CD (so that you dont need the CD to play) and sets up an icon that runs the game through DOSBox fully configured.

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updat ... llers.html

If you are interested you can also get similar installers from the same place for Space Quest 6 and King's Quest 7 which should be enough to keep anyone playing them before ScummVM has support. I highly recommend Space Quest 6, but I have barely played King's Quest 7. (I got it for 50p, and that was mainly because I collect ScummVM games.) My ownership of Space Quest 6 and Torin's Passage predates ScummVM, so I have played them much more than most of my other ScummVM games and can say from expierience that they are good games. (Very different from each other though, appart from the bizarre Sierra humour)
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

lazylazyjoe wrote:Was torin's passage any good? I know it was by Al Lowe, but it looks like a stupid game. If it was any good, I figured I might as well get it now while it's still $5 on ebay. After scummvm comparability, it'll shoot up like crazy.
It was alright. It was pretty easy and obviously for kids, but still fairly fun. I think it was supposed to be a part of a larger series, but what with Sierra closing it was never continued. I remember it feeling pretty incomplete because of that at the end.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

fischkopf wrote:Just a question is ScummVM going to support the newer SCI (with SVGA graphics) games like: Space Quest 6, Torin's Passage, King's Quest 7, Leisure Suit Larry 7 and Quest for Glory 5):,?
yes, but it will take quite some time. Those are all SCI "32" games and we are only starting to get those working. Exception is Quest For Glory 5 which doesn't use SCI at all.
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Nice even Space Quest 1 VGA (seems?) to run perfect now :D
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

I wanted to say thank you to waltervn especially and to all the devs for making the first MIDI output in SCI games work :-D

SQIII doesn't sound quite as good as it did in FreeSCI but development will get this fixed aswell

Thank you guys, one step closer to a perfect ScummVM for me
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

King's Quest 6 seems now to work WITH speech.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

fischkopf wrote:King's Quest 6 seems now to work WITH speech.
Speech in KQ6 has been working for several months now...