Status of SCI games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

filipetolhuizen

Post by filipetolhuizen »

Larry 3 now crashes when I click anywhere after answering the questionary.
filipetolhuizen

Now it crashes whenever I type anything and press enter. Even the amiga version crashes the same way.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

It's like what Fingolfin said is invisible to some people. Well, here it is again. Read it. Learn it. Love it.
fingolfin wrote:It's unfinished code, heavy under development. As was explained before in this thread, it's perfectly normal for things to get re-broken and then fixed differently again later on, etc.
So there.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Carrying on from what MeddlingMonk said/quoted I think it might of been my post that was referred to.
I quoted somebody and my reply is underlined:

Originally posted by MapleSyrup
I don't get any music in any of the SCI games I've tried both with my mingw32 build of SVN and with the mingw32 from buildbot. I use the Amiga versions. The console says Warning: [SFX] Sound disabled!
I used to be able to hear the music when I tried SCI in ScummVM back in February.

From what I understand about developing/porting what you say shouldn't come as a surprise should it? Code appears, code disappears, code is replaced etc etc.
filipetolhuizen

Amiga versions still have no sound.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

filipetolhuizen wrote:Amiga versions still have no sound.
That's a shame. I'd complain if I was you and get your money back. :roll:
filipetolhuizen

Larry 3 also used to work fine at that time... but don't worry, soon they will all be working and hopefully the macintosh versions, which sound much better, will be supported.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

You see, that's what happens with code which is WORK IN PROGRESS and hasn't been announced yet. But then again, this has already been mentioned in this thread. Things like crashes and weird behavior are to be expected with the current state of the SCI engine. Just be patient. As for the Amiga music, it never worked, it requires someone to actually implement support for it
MapleSyrup

Post by MapleSyrup »

md5 wrote:As for the Amiga music, it never worked, it requires someone to actually implement support for it
I'm not meaning to sound rude with this post (and I wasn't with my other post either). I'm just curious.

Was there some kind of a dirty hack or something in the code for the Amiga music before?

Because I played through the Amiga version of Space Quest III in February with ScummVM, and there was music then.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MapleSyrup wrote:
md5 wrote:As for the Amiga music, it never worked, it requires someone to actually implement support for it
I'm not meaning to sound rude with this post (and I wasn't with my other post either). I'm just curious.

Was there some kind of a dirty hack or something in the code for the Amiga music before?

Because I played through the Amiga version of Space Quest III in February with ScummVM, and there was music then.
That was using the FreeSCI music code, which has been replaced to use the ScummVM sound backend. The Amiga music code needs to be rewritten too, afaik
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Can't wait to have MIDI in SQIII enabled ;-)
filipetolhuizen

Amiga sound seems to be working now. Larry 3 amiga version sounds great (but still crashes the same way as the pc version). Larry1 amiga remake crashes at startup. Can't wait for those being fixed and MIDI support. The macintosh versions also sound great, wonder if they'll be supported, too.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

filipetolhuizen wrote:Amiga sound seems to be working now. Larry 3 amiga version sounds great (but still crashes the same way as the pc version). Larry1 amiga remake crashes at startup. Can't wait for those being fixed and MIDI support. The macintosh versions also sound great, wonder if they'll be supported, too.
I think md5 and the others working on SCI support will get it working and supported quicker if some of us stop posting comments about such things as 'no sound for Amiga version'.

At least they won't have to answer posts about it each time.
JonWW

Post by JonWW »

Quest for Glory 1 VGA has quite a few issues.
Actions and special items menu disappears right after you select the icon preventing you from selecting walk, run, sneak, rest, stats, or time of day. Ctrl-Q shortcut for Quit menu doesn't work. Ctrl-I shortcut for Inventory doesn't work. Ctrl-S shortcut for stats doesn't work. Game crashes when you try to enter the Hero's Tale Inn. Game crashes when you enter the castle. Game crashes when you try to cast Open.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I think the devs have a good of what works and what doesn't. SCI isn't officially supported yet.