ScummVM 1.0.0rc1 "Grog XD" is ready for your testi

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

joostp wrote:or, you know, not mixable in a drink.
Then, I'd rather mix a delivery service in my drinks. :D
Kroc

Post by Kroc »

Now that MPEG2 videos are not supported on Broken Sword, how can we get videos back? What files do I need to copy from the CDs, or is there any other way of restoring the videos? What about compression, too?

Regards,
Kroc.
raina

Post by raina »

Kroc wrote:What files do I need to copy from the CDs, or is there any other way of restoring the videos? What about compression, too?
I don't have my CDs with me now, but being Smacker video, those would be .SMK files. The videos are already compressed with the lossy Smacker and there's no need to process them further. (MPEG-2 was worse quality, DXA is identical quality with larger file size.)
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

If you have the Double set of BS1&2 DVD which includes the MPEG2 videos you will need to download the dxa versions of the videos from here: http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#extras
Pato2747

Post by Pato2747 »

(Might as well spend my first post talking about the great prank of the "Grog XD" drink!)
jackcmedia wrote:If anyone has not seen it, here it goes:

Link to Grog XD joke

The video is in Latin American spanish, and it's about a Latin American news channel. The cast of the news show was fooled by someone who sent them an e-mail about a new and sophisticated drink called Grog XD.

Mixed with cutscenes from Monkey Island (spanish version...), they even ask a liquor expert what SCUMM is.
I was one of the lucky ones to see the news live - I think I haven't laughed so hard in years.

Here's a youtube video with english subtitles. - Basically, the guys at the C5N news channel (Not precisely known by being serious) took an e-mail seriously (TOO seriously) and made an entire segment about this, laughing ensues. The link you posted is from the "TVR" show, which dedicates on pointing out fun or interesting things that happened in the Argentinian television on a weekly basis.

The "Liquor expert" you mentioned is actually a guy called Dr. Cormillot, arguably the lead figure in the country regarding nutrition, weight loss, etc. What he says on the video is that he "searched in the search thing" the ingredients, and found "SCUMM" as one of them - And, with further searching, he found a delivery service called SCUMM (Likely paying homage to the SCUMM bar), thinking he unveiled a conspiracy (And surprisingly, never figuring out that this was from Monkey Island at all!). Maybe he found the delivery first because he might have filtered the results to "Argentina Only" or "Spanish only", although it still amazes me on how he didn't even bother to click, say, a Wikipedia page that would have clearly had the entire thing explained - I think this only makes it worse, considering that he's an actual doctor and whatnot.

I think that C5N publically apologized, but the entire thing is just awesome in every way.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Pato2747 wrote:I think that C5N publically apologized, but the entire thing is just awesome in every way.
I for one would like to see that apology (or rather, an English translation of it) :).
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

Leave my testis alone.
Morden

Post by Morden »

Pato2747 wrote:although it still amazes me on how he didn't even bother to click, say, a Wikipedia page that would have clearly had the entire thing explained - I think this only makes it worse, considering that he's an actual doctor and whatnot.
Like MusicallyInspired already said, the good doctor probably never thought this had anything to do with videogames, so he just dismissed everything game-related and focused on the alcohol aspect of thestory. Clone2727 already linked to this, which explains a few things, I guess.

Still, it's beyond me how anyone in their right mind could have believed this recipe to be real, especially since it doesn't include any kind of proportions. Anyone who would take a sip of that drink would probably drop dead within a minute.

@clone2727 How long have you had that Palazzo signature for? Haha. I just noticed it. Great stuff.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Morden wrote:@clone2727 How long have you had that Palazzo signature for? Haha. I just noticed it. Great stuff.
Hahaha! I've had it up there for a few weeks now. I have to mix it up once in a while :wink: