Simon Sorcerer CD32 - works in SVM but not WinUAE or Amiga?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Great, that looks much much better. I'd love to put thin into the ScummVM Wiki and maybe also our FAQ, would you mind that? You could add a small note at the bottom crediting yourself, if you like.

BTW, this chart could be slightly generalized, if one desired so: There are various other ScummVM-type projects, like for example Exult, Pentagram, xu4 and Nuvie for the Ultima RPG series, and many others.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@bobdevis

Just a little typo... it's "meant" not "ment"
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

P.S.: If this image was generalized a bit, it might be a good addition for Wikipedia, too, e.g. here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine_recreation
raina

Post by raina »

There's a recurring typo where you type "then" instead of "than". For example: "faster than...".
crazyzeke

Post by crazyzeke »

nolange wrote:There are a couple patches and guides for CD32 games(no idea how good they work). If you are really dedicated then the CD32 Games Install Kit would be an option. Maybe you can find some free patches/guides on Aminet. I gave up looking at this stuff years ago
Interesting... this was what I was looking for, as it emulates a CD32 on similar Amiga hardware, in this case a 1200. I'll do some digging around and see if I can get it running under WinUAE, and if so, on my old A1200.
bobdevis wrote:I'm kind of curious if this is a universal, unavoidable effect or a Gimp shortcoming.
I use GIMP too. Good little app if you don't need the full power of Photoshop, which I usually don't. I think that's avoidable but I haven't used it in a while so I couldn't describe how to do it. I'd usually start with a white background for that sort of diagram anyway, avoiding the problem. I tend to design huge images (i.e. setlists for bands) then scale them down to A3/A4 size as needed.
fingolfin wrote:P.S.: If this image was generalized a bit, it might be a good addition for Wikipedia, too, e.g. here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine_recreation
Hmmm, this might also make interesting reading if I want to delve deeper into the subject later, thanks for the link.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Yes I agree, it would be a nice addition to the wiki.

In addition to the two typos already mentioned, I think there is a grammatical error in "Different concepts to run your games and software on systems it wasn't meant to be run on"
Surely "games and software" is plural and you should therefore have "on systems they weren't meant to be run on".
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Updated. Just one more thing;

If the general group that ScummVM belongs to is "source ports", what general group should I put DOSBox in?
Is there a name for that and are there other examples?
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

DOSBox is the same as the emulator section but it acts as both the emulated hardware and emulated OS.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Yeah, but that is a description, not a name.
Will I have to make something up, like "Integrated Emulator" or "OS Emulator"?
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Maybe it should instead be Emulator and the first column could be Hardware Emulator?

It couldn't be OS Emulator as it's more than that but it could be Integrated Emulator.
maximus

Post by maximus »

I REALLY like what bobdevis has done here, but wanted to put a bit of a spin on it ;) The image here is pretty dirty, but that's cause I'm not much of a graphics guy.

I wanted to do something that had a bit of a "visio" look to it is all.

The svg's below if anyone wants to clean it up, as I'm not very good with Inkscape :P

substitutes.svg - 0.08MB
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Eeeh, sorry Maximus. I was kind of working ahead of you.. Thought I'd include the bare-metal VM, since that's a fundamentally different concept.

Any more comments, additions, embarrassing errors?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Awesome, looks great! Definitely something that should be featured on Wikipedia, and on our Wiki :).
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

If your sticking it on the wiki shouldn't source port be highlighted?
Cutlass

Post by Cutlass »

ScummVM is not correctly called a "source port" insofar as the SCUMM part was reverse engineered.