Status of SCI games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

filipetolhuizen

Post by filipetolhuizen »

I see a lot of work being done for SCI. Keep it up!
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

MapleSyrup wrote:I don't get any music in any of the SCI games I've tried both with my mingw32 build of SVN and with the mingw32 from buildbot. I use the Amiga versions. The console says Warning: [SFX] Sound disabled!

I used to be able to hear the music when I tried SCI in ScummVM back in February.
From what I understand about developing/porting what you say shouldn't come as a surprise should it? Code appears, code disappears, code is replaced etc etc.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

That's right. I'm no coder, but I've followed ScummVM, Exult, and other projects long enough to know that progress is sometimes halting. Sometimes what people thought they had worked out turns out not to have been worked out all that well originally, fixing one thing might break another, and the process seems very Sisyphean (look it up) sometimes. So I say don't worry. It'll get there in the end.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

MeddlingMonk wrote:Sisyphean (look it up)
Hey I've learnt a new word.
arablizzard2413

Post by arablizzard2413 »

Ok this is extremely cool, in just a couple weeks KQ6 went from getting stuck at a few places to getting all the way through the game with 231/231 points.

And that was from start to finish with the new gui.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Nice to hear something about how this is progressing :)
arablizzard2413

Does anyone know if the midi sequencer is enabled? I'm only getting adlib.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

arablizzard2413 wrote:Does anyone know if the midi sequencer is enabled? I'm only getting adlib.
The SCI MIDI stuff isn't working in ScummVM yet, only AdLib.
filipetolhuizen

Post by filipetolhuizen »

Larry 3 is still crashing for me, I reinstalled it over and over and it keeps crashing.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Sorry, wrong thread...
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

arablizzard2413 wrote:Ok this is extremely cool, in just a couple weeks KQ6 went from getting stuck at a few places to getting all the way through the game with 231/231 points.

ORLY? that's odd, because when i try to run the windows version, it closes scummvm right before you see the sierra logo. Also, judging by the mouse cursor, it seems to run the dos version even if you choose the windows version on detection.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Mataku wrote:
arablizzard2413 wrote:Ok this is extremely cool, in just a couple weeks KQ6 went from getting stuck at a few places to getting all the way through the game with 231/231 points.

ORLY? that's odd, because when i try to run the windows version, it closes scummvm right before you see the sierra logo. Also, judging by the mouse cursor, it seems to run the dos version even if you choose the windows version on detection.
I'm pretty sure the Windows CD and the DOS versions of KQ6 are actually based on different versions of SCI, and hence while the DOS version may be completable, the Windows version is probably a ways off.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

KuroShiro wrote:I'm pretty sure the Windows CD and the DOS versions of KQ6 are actually based on different versions of SCI, and hence while the DOS version may be completable, the Windows version is probably a ways off.
They're actually the same version. If you manually change the detection entry, the Windows version should work (I think). It's been a while since I tested it. I'm not sure if the AVI stuff was changed to new GUI yet, though.
arablizzard2413

Mataku wrote:ORLY? that's odd, because when i try to run the windows version, it closes scummvm right before you see the sierra logo. Also, judging by the mouse cursor, it seems to run the dos version even if you choose the windows version on detection.
That's probably because the new gui doesn't play avi files yet, I played all the way through the dos version. I played through on r44950, so some of the graphics were still messed up from the sticky cels.

On a sidenote, why is captain saladin facing the wrong way (when he talks to you, his cel is facing away) when you try and enter the castle the first time. I was happy to see it fixed finally and now its back again.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

arablizzard2413 wrote:On a sidenote, why is captain saladin facing the wrong way (when he talks to you, his cel is facing away) when you try and enter the castle the first time. I was happy to see it fixed finally and now its back again.
It's unfinished code, heavy under development. As was explained before in this thread, it's perfectly normal for things to get re-broken and then fixed differently again later on, etc.